Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Feel Like I Am Eating Too Much

I thought at that stage you can have 4oz, 6 times a day. You should be drinking Water and other non-calorie drinks in between.

Reading other posts on here hunger is not unusual but most of it is head hunger. Hopefully someone with more experience can be more insightful

I thought at that stage you can have 4oz' date=' 6 times a day. You should be drinking Water and other non-calorie drinks in between.

Reading other posts on here hunger is not unusual but most of it is head hunger. Hopefully someone with more experience can be more insightful[/quote']

Not sure if this will help, but, what about going and getting hypno for the head hunger.......sugestions like...you are never hungry......maybe?

Please try to be careful with your food choices right now. celery is not in the soft stage. And when you do get to that stage, you will need to remove the strings because they can get lodged in our staple line. It really doesn't matter how much you chew, if the food is not in the soft stage, you should wait to have it. Did he gve you a list of foods appropriate for each stage? It doesn't sound like you are getting enough Protein or liquids. You should be eating every two to three hours right now and in between constnatly sipping on Water constantly. In the morning and afternoon, drink a ready to drink Protein Drink if you don't like the powdered ones. I know I couldn't stand the powdered. the more protein you have, the fuller you will feel. Also take one acid reducer daily and it will help with the head hunger. I think if you get a list of soft foods, and stick to it, you will fell fuller. it takes 12 weeks for your tummy to heal, so you need to be careful with it. Try that and good luck!

At your stage I needed a minimum of 4-5 oz to feel full, not 2-3. Since we eat so little we do get hungry and you need Snacks to see you through like a cheese stick between meals.

At your stage I needed a minimum of 4-5 oz to feel full, not 2-3. Since we eat so little we do get hungry and you need Snacks to see you through like a cheese stick between meals.

That sounds more like me. So do you need more now? I am hoping I don't need more than that. I am afraid I won't lose all my weight. :(

Important thing to note about the "soft" food stage: Soft doesn't (only) refer to the texture of the food, but rather your stomach's ability to "softly" break it down. It's critical to not eat things that take work to digest because your staple line is still healing. So essentially you want to allow your stomach to just "sit there" and not be forced to break food down. When the stomach digests, it does a contracting "wringing" motion, which you can imagine puts stress on the staple line.

So... easy does it and follow your doctor's guidelines to the letter, if for no other reason but to protect yourself from post-op complications such as leakage.

In terms of getting hungry - I had the same issue about 10-14 days post-op (I'm about 10 weeks post-op now). I found that there were certain foods that really satiate me and others that seem to pass through rather quickly. For me, the Protein shakes and cottage cheese are incredibly satisfying.

The advice already posted is good -- focus on Protein and Water first... don't allow anything else into your diet until you've met your protein and Water requirement.

In terms of calorie count -- yours seems high. I just had my second post-op visit with my doc; I provided a summary of what I was eating - I was averaging about 850 calories a day at 8 weeks post-op and he said it was way too high. He wanted me closer to 650 calories, even on the days I work out heavily. Over the last week I've found 650 to be WAY too low when I burn 700+ calories in a workout, but it's all a trial/error process really.

Good luck! Try not to worry too much... you're doing the right thing by reaching out for advice here. Also try reaching out to your doc - he or she should be more than willing to help you out.

-Erica

Thanks for all the advice. I now feel like an a*****e for not following my post op to a T. I know now that just because I have no problem chewing up and tolerating foods, doesnt mean its ok to eat them. I have had no problems tolerating anything since my second week. I hope I did not do any damage to my sleeve and/or hinder my recovery because of this. :( I'm really sad and worried now. I'm going to stick to the foods I am allowed to have in the soft food stage.

Thanks for all the advice. I now feel like an a*****e for not following my post op to a T. I know now that just because I have no problem chewing up and tolerating foods, doesnt mean its ok to eat them. I have had no problems tolerating anything since my second week. I hope I did not do any damage to my sleeve and/or hinder my recovery because of this. :( I'm really sad and worried now. I'm going to stick to the foods I am allowed to have in the soft food stage.

Sorry - I didn't mean to make you feel bad or worry!

I went through the same thing! Was feeling fine eating, so I moved onto tuna in the soft phase, thinking I was eating Protein and getting in fish, and since it was soft in texture I was okay. I felt completely fine eating it, but when I told my doctor... whoa! He then explained to me the whole "wringing" action of the stomach, and told me that tuna is actually pretty hard for the stomach to break down. I kind of panicked, thinking I may have done damage... he said to not worry - if I did damage, I would have known... he just cautioned me against continuing and urged me to follow his guidance more closely.

Hopefully that eases your mind a bit. It can't hurt to talk it over with your doc; mine is known for being very very conservative with his advice, so yours may have other info to give. Good luck!!!

Oh no it's not your post, it's my own fault!

My sleeve was done on 4/30/12 and so far I've lost 48 lbs. I seem to be hovering around the same weight for about 2 weeks. I totally know the feeling of still being hungry an hour after you eat. But, I also know I'm not following anything I should be either. I have not exercised, don't take my meds properly, and am not always eating the right things. However, today its all gonna change. I'm starting a workout routine daily, and with the help of an app on my phone, will eat properly. Has anyone felt as if this is just too hard, even though its really not? I know its all in my head. I've never been the type of person to take "no" or "can't", lightly. I would usually do the complete opposite! So being so restricted with what I cant or shouldn't eat, has been the biggest challenge. Granted, my portion sizes have cut down drastically, but I seem to want to eat more often. Sometimes I think its out of habit and not actual hunger. Please tell me I'm not the only dumb ass!!!! I have a lot of weight to lose and I feel I should have lost more at this point.

I need help! I don't get full on the supposed 2-3 oz. I can eat a lot more than that! Then I am hungry again in an hour!

If we are talking celery here, there is a reason, celery is mostly Water, so most of it passes straight through to your intestine. If you are not experiencing problems with celery I wouldn't worry about quantity (celery is a negative calorie food). But another thing to consider is that it is nutritionally void.

Soft foods are basically anything you can smash with a fork according to my doctor and NUT.

Me too. I'm constantly eating and have to take Snacks with me when I go out. I'm 5 weeks out from surgery. Sushi is my favourite.

How are you eating sushi, rice was a no no from my doc, ps only 8 days out

Me too. I'm constantly eating and have to take Snacks with me when I go out. I'm 5 weeks out from surgery. Sushi is my favourite.

Please watch your sushi. Rice is in the same category as bread and Pasta and usually not allowed until 12 weeks out. They all swell and expand in your tummy and it takes about 12 week for your staple line to heal.

I was reading this and realized I might be eating some things that I shouldn't be...I have not been able to see my NUT yet because she is on vaca...I feel a little lost on what I should or shouldn't be eating...I feel so great I have been trying things here and there and not having any issues but I didn't realize I might be making my stomach work harder...I am only 2 weeks and 2 days post op...can anyone give me suggestions of things I really should be eating???