Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew ~ September Chat

How is everyone doing? I am bumming big time. Got some bad news about my health (diabetic kidney disease) and I have been resorting to stress eating again. I have been making bad choices and grazing and pouch-packing and have gained back 5 pounds!!!:help:

Any words of wisdom to get me back on track?

Hope everyone is doing better than I am.

Lapbandit1, I think you're doing great. I have VG w 1.5cc. Slow but sure.

Marcy, sorry for the bummer news about your kidney. We are all working so hard to get healthier and then you get blind sided like that. I can only tell you what sometimes helps me when I want to stuff my face,

1. my health has to come first and

2nd what damage am I causing to my pouch when I overeat?

Number 2 FEAR! usually does it and I go back to dense Proteins and sometimes I go to bed early, just so I won't emotionally overeat. I got this band to get healthy not to cause myself more problems. Hang in there.

Thanks Healthfirst. I am trying to stay positive, but it is so hard. I have had kidney disease for years, but just found out that my doc predicts I will need dialysis "in a year or two." It scares me to think that I may be doing this weight loss journey *too late* to make a meaningful difference in my life expectancy.

I am a single mom and support myself, my daughter, my parents and one sister. At 40, I am no way prepared to retire financially. I think I will just stay off the scales for a while (I have always been an obsesser) and just try to regroup mentally. I appreciate the support!

MarcyD

What kind of treatment have you been going through for your kidneys?

How long have you been diabetic?

I am a diabetic of 16 years. I don't have any kidney involvment yet. My mother was on peritoneal dialysis before she passed away. She was a long term diabetic and have had several MI's and was blind.

My grandmother, grandfather, uncle, great grandmother and great great grandmother on my mother's side of the family were all diabetics.

Unfortunately my husband's father is a diabetic also and I do worry about my daughter.

Best of luck.

Myra

Marcy, there is no way for me to fully understand what you are going thru but I can relate to feeling down and desparte. I am thinking of you. I also think it is never too late. Losing even a little weight has to help your overall health and whatever health issues you face in the future.

Be gentle with yourself.

One great side-effect I have had with the band is an increased social life. I love the people I have met since being banded. I have made some really great friends who are fun to hang out with and also sharing the same weight loss journey I am on.

Yesterday I blew off school with my son, dropped him off at my mom's house for a couple of days, and went with PhotoNut (Susan) and Luna (Sara) to pick up FunnyDuddies (Amy) and MyChevyGirl (DeAnn) at the Boise Airport.

Susan is hosting a band bbq tonight and they all flew in for it. We went to lunch, shopping, and then ended up back at my house for chicken Enchiladas. I had so much fun!

Hang in there! We are all here for ya!

I like the thought of staying off the scale, I too can be obsessive about it.

Like Health said, any weight loss helps you to get better. Have'nt we all lived with the 'if it ain't one thing its another' for too long? I know in my life I sure have. I'm tired of it dang it all. We are here for you, I know you'll be back on the road in no time, you've done so well and come so far I don't think anything can stop you! Like a snowball rolling down the hill, except we get to get smaller as we roll!

I also think we all fall off sometimes... God knows I sure have!

Stretching out our hands to help pull you back on :confused:

Next time it just may be one of us that you'll have to reach for when we fall off.

Thoughts and prayers to ya!

:bandit

LindaV: Party on Girl! :biggrin1:

I found spending the evening around a bunch of bandsters and their spouses/significant others the most liberating experience I have had in years (maybe my life). I felt completely accepted, unjudged, and loved in all my fatness. And I loved and accepted in return! I don't think I have ever been at a party where I havn't worried about some element due to my size. I knew that even if I broke P'Nut's great new hanging porch swing or a lawn chair that it would be ok. I have never felt so free to be myself!

I didn't even realized until last night that I feel that way around normal size people. I have good self esteem (as evidenced by my pre-op psych eval) and am an extrovert who loves to be around people (the more the better). We are in social situations often and I look forward to them. But last night I was just so COMFORTABLE! It was like being with family--no, even with family I am aware that I am the largest in my family! I don't know...it was really a whole new experience for me.

OMG - the butter shots from last night have me waxing philosophical this morning!

Oh and my latest fill must be working. This is the first time since being banded that I have spent the weekend eating in social situations and I have actually lost a few ounces. (I would have gained a few pounds before the fill.)

<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________

Sounds like ya'll had a great time. How was the weather up there. It's still hot here in Texas so I wish I was up there!!!!!!!

What are butter shots?

Myra

LindaV, what a priceless gift to be accepted just the way you are. And to be with people who "get it"! So glad you had that opportunity!

MarcyD ~ Hang in there and take one day at a time! Gosh, you do have a lot on your plate. You will be in our prayers!

LindaV ~ Something tells me you deserved to feel that way a long time ago. I hope you never come down from your high. Maybe you should hold that event once a month and come back to share your excitement...it's contagious. It also makes you appreciate the wonderful place we have in LBT. I think butter shots are butterscotch schnapps. Is that right?

Hey All,

I had my third fill of 1.0 cc on Thursday. This was not as painfull as all of the others. I am now with 7.00 cc in my Vanguard band. I have lost 78lbs since May 9th, 2006. I can tell that I have a better restriction as I had a couple of really bad PBs and slimming over the weekend. bread is a no no for me. I have moved myself to Soups and amost mushies for the next few days as the session with the pb's have made me a liitle sore in my chest. I hope this fill will be my last for many months. I want to lose and get down a total of 100lbs by the New Year....I know I can do it....Just keep on pushing and eating properly...

Hi all...

I am going to start a new thread for October. I'm not sure I know how to link a thread but if someone can do that for me I would appreciate it!!

It will be called May Bandsters~October Chat

Peace!