Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared To Leave A Lifetime Of Food Behind

First off I'm new here and 2nd here is my story I got ky approve to see a doc about getting the band on march they told me to call back next year so I let it at that then I get a call early June that they have a opening and I start my class ASAP then I switched to the sleeve and wow was not thinking it would be this fast so now I just finshed my last class on Thursday and they have send all my stuff to get approved to the insurance I was sure I wanted to do this be healthy for my daughter (who will be 3 in Sept) watch her grow up and have her get used to living a healthy life style since my dad died at 34 of heart issues when I was 11 and a half bro passed away because he was overweight I don't want that to be me but I'm scared and I have been eating like this my whole life my issue is I don't eat all day but at night so that's a big no no I know this is not a fast fix and I will have to change my whole life style with food its a tool to help me but I this past weekend I have been thinking food has been my friend and I can't eat what I used to yikes but I know I need to do this for my self and daughter I have great support but its like leaving something behind you love I have read post of people how they feel how do you all get in the mind set to be ready for this ?? I feel since I'm young it would be good to be healthy and watch ny daughter grow up and not have a weight issue but what are some tips you use to get your little hungry mind to be ready thanks again for your response

I kind of feel the same way as you about giving up food. I have not had my sleeve yet and am doing 6 months of supervised dieting before the surgery. I keep telling myself that, although food has always been great for me (I love to cook and dine out - it's really an experience for me rather than just nourishment), I am ready to move on to other experiences. No maybe I won't be able to eat a giant piece of birthday cake, but I will feel more comfortable in my healthy body to get out at the birthday party and mingle, dance, run around, whatever it is everyone else is doing.

I'm only 24 and my weight holds me back from doing things that I really want to do because I feel like everyone is staring at how big I am. When I get hungry - or crave a certain bad food - I just tell myself how much more fun I will have after I get this surgery doing other things than eating!

For you, when you struggle with getting in the right mindset, think about walking your daughter down the aisle (which is a LONG way away, but a VERY important event), seeing her at graduation, watching her go to kingergarten, middle school, and high school, being there to scare off all the boys that come around, and the possibilty of having other kids and doing those things with them as well. I know it helps me if I write it down to and post it somewhere that I'll see it. I have a list of things on my bathroom mirror and fridge to remind of what I'm doing and why.

Give it a shot. It can't hurt.

Good luck!

Also, take it from me, as a girl who grew up overweight, you do NOT want your daughter to go through that. If you make healthy choices, she will too, and she won't have to go through the teasing that can really hurt her. :)

I think that we all go through a mourning phase, most of us have had very long affairs with food so in the beginning it's scary and pretty dang hard to imagine your life without that part of you. It's like going through a bad break up, it sucks, sucks more, then YOU have to learn to put yourself up and move on. For a little while I was pissed off at food, silly as it sounds, but the one thing that was always there for me was now "gone" and it was because of my relationship with food that I got to where I was pre-op.

I am 6 weeks out today and let me tell you all the head games that my food addiction has played on me have been hard and all the times I thought I am never going to eat again, I eat every single day, I do NOT feel deprived.

It's a radical change for us and I think the hardest part of this journey is all mental. You can do it, we all can!

I completely understand how you are feeling. I felt the same way. I was so worried about giving up my favorite foods, the social aspect of food, the comfort of food, etc. However, all of those things got me to where I was, way over weight, lethargic, unhappy, life passing me by etc. You may think food is your friend, but really, FOOD IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. You are doing the right thing for your daughter and for yourself! I am four weeks post op, and while I can tell you that it has not been easy, mentally, giving up all those aspects, physically it has been wonderful. I have so much more energy already! My clothes are hanging off of me and it is almost time to buy a couple of new things to get me by. I actually bought a few tops in the regular section of the store (not the plus section). That was the best triumph! I feel more healthy already. Now that I am able to go to soft foods, I will be focusing on learning new, healthy meals for my family (I have two teenagers) Imagine what a gift you will be able to give your daughter by starting her off on the right path of nutrition so that she might not ever share the same struggles you have had to go through.

One of the things I did to help myself through these struggles with food, was I started a pre-op diary. I wrote down all the things I hated about being overweight. It was a very long list. I also wrote down all the things I looked forward to being able to do when I became a healthier weight. That list was also very long. I starred the most important things, like being there for my kid's important life events. Whenever things seem really hard, (like the first few days post-op, then when I was sick of the liquid diet phase post-op) I refer back to my diary. It helps a lot.

The best part, is you really do not feel physically hungry. You also do not have the sugar and carb cravings. Now to me, a little piece of nicely seasoned fish, or a small piece of soft cheese are heavenly to me. I would have NEVER said that before this surgery!

You can do this! You will not regret it! Good luck to you!!

Suppose you have someone you truly love. Being around them and experiencing them makes you happy. But then this person starts making ever-increasing demands on your life. They move into every corner of your waking hours and even deprive you of sleep. They smother you, make themselves the center of your life, and cause you pain, weakness and embarrassment. But you still love them.

You don't kick them entirely out of your life, you just back them off, bring them into control, demand respect from them.

Good food is not evil. Too much food can be life-sapping and lethal.

I still love good food. I just refuse to drown in it.