Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanks... I Think? Nsv.... Maybe? Lol.

Well, I had an interesting experience at work tonight. I work in a movie theatre and tonight I was in concessions. I've recently reached onederland, and have been told by multiple people that I don't look like I weigh that much (I think it's because my top half is so much smaller than my thunder thighs). This is a male customer, I'd say mid-20s.

Anyways, here's the conversation... I'll warn ya, it's a long one lol.

Me: Hello, how can I help you today?

Customer: Yes, what does your medium drink look like?

Me: *I show him the medium*

Customer: Sheesh, that's massive. Okay, how about the small?

Me: *I show him the small*

Customer: Yeah, that'll do. Though that small is anyone else's large. It's probably why America is so fat.

Me: Yeah, the sizes are a bit ridiculous. Before we were bought out, the old medium was the size of the new small.

Customer: It's still way too big. I'm from Canada and I've never seen so many massive people.

(Now, I typically don't spout off my weight loss to random people, only to friends and family who ask. I just felt the need to call this guy out...)

Me: Yeah, I've lost about 90 pounds so I kind of get what you're saying.

Customer: Oh, good for you! You're helping to solve America's weight problem. I'm from Canada, so I'm not used to seeing so many fat people.

That was pretty much it. Now, I did my research and it seems that, yes, one in three American adults are obese. BUT, one in four Canadian adults are, too. I'm not sure where he was living, but it seems like the country as a whole isn't too far behind.

I was pretty speechless after the backwards compliment. Is it an NSV that someone felt comfortable enough to talk to me about "the horrors of obesity" as if I was, dare I say, normal-sized? I'm inclined to believe that if I was still at my previous weight, this customer would either A) not have come to my register, since there were two other cashiers at the time, or B ) not have mentioned this at all. He seemed very high and mighty, so maybe there's a third option of C) still would have talked about it, but it probably would have turned into an impromptu lecture about my "evil, gluttonous ways." He didn't even look sheepish after I told him I was a former fatty.

Apparently, this guy was all about Canada. I went up to the box office to fill some paperwork out, and I mentioned this guy. The person up there was like, "Did he have long, blonde hair? Did he mention he was from Canada?" Apparently, when she asked him for his ID to see an R-rated movie, he said, "Seriously? I'm from Canada. Where's YOUR ID?" Good times were had.

P.S. No disrespect to you Canadian sleevers. I know not all are like this. ;)

People need to feel superior. Even people from America's hat! LOL

"Thank you sir, enjoy your movie....oh wait...WHERE did you say you're from? I didn't catch that...." :lol:

I probably would be unemployed! haha

Seriously???? No offense to any Canadians..but I would have told to guy if he didn't like Americans being so fat that he knew where he crossed the border....maybe he should cross back over it! JMHO.. You know..don't come over intoy backyard to talk smack about me..go to your back yard and talk all you want..just don't do it in my backyard! LOL..

*waves* I see we are "neighbors" - I am in Central IL! Ha! And I was at the movies last night seeing Magic Mike and mmmm that popcorn smelled goooood! LOL

*waves* I see we are "neighbors" - I am in Central IL! Ha! And I was at the movies last night seeing Magic Mike and mmmm that popcorn smelled goooood! LOL

*waves* Hey! Yeah, we were pretty crazy the past two nights. Sold out shows to all the Magic Mike times! Never seen so many women in one place at one time. ;) And you think the popcorn smell is bad, imagine working with it! Lol.

*waves* Hey! Yeah, we were pretty crazy the past two nights. Sold out shows to all the Magic Mike times! Never seen so many women in one place at one time. ;) And you think the popcorn smell is bad, imagine working with it! Lol.

haha! My sister in law was like "I have never seen this many people at the show!" I live in Taylorville where sadly we have no theater (at the moment!) so we had to go to Springfield and honestly that place always seems busy! I bet working around the popcorn makes you never want to eat it, huh??

Well I would take it as a NSV but the guy was obviously a major tard. I've known a few people from Canada though and in their defense we've had many conversations about the size of things here compared to there- particularly fast food sizes so I guess that much is factual. But still he was a jerk. Well if he wants to see a fat person on his tour of US obesity send him my way and I'll happily sit on him...

haha! My sister in law was like "I have never seen this many people at the show!" I live in Taylorville where sadly we have no theater (at the moment!) so we had to go to Springfield and honestly that place always seems busy! I bet working around the popcorn makes you never want to eat it, huh??

LIBBE! I didn't realize we were so close to each other, I am in St. Louis, just over the river from IL :)

Well I'm originally from Canada and let me tell you something, the people there are pretty stocky themselves. I came to the US at 360 lbs. . . I got the help here in the US and not in Canada. I've seen lots of folks from Canada on this forum as well who had the sleeve. . . .soooooooo what does that tell ya????? He was just being one of those "look at me, I'm a tourist"

**waves** Sometime we'll have to plan a sleeve get together!!

LIBBE! I didn't realize we were so close to each other, I am in St. Louis, just over the river from IL :)