Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know we are not supposed to have caffeine such as a cup of coffee. What about a cup of orange and cinnamon flavored black tea 3 days post op?

I could do tea of any kind. I was to stay away from coffee for at least 2 weeks more acidic on the stomach.

Thank you for your guidance. I will just avoid it altogether and have Water or gatorade today.

caffine free is probably safer. Since you are still healing, the acid can hurt pretty bad. I am still pre-op but i also had the lap band before. My surgery is this coming monday. Congratulations on your journey! :)

If it makes you feel any better, I loved hot green tea pre-op and it still tastes like plastic to me today. Some things are easier to give up than others. Good for you for choosing to stick with your plan! :)

I used to love a cup or two of coffee in the morning. I waited 2 weeks after surgery to try some and man that was a bad idea. Tore me up and acted like a laxative. At least I have a remedy if I ever get constipated

My Drs say no caffeine until I am 3mths out. That is starting to get very hard caffeine free tastes like crap!!

I was told that the first few mths we have such a hard time getting are liquids in and caffeine just dehydrates us which is the last thing we need. I know some people that have to stay off caffeine forever.

I know we are not supposed to have caffeine such as a cup of coffee. What about a cup of orange and cinnamon flavored black tea 3 days post op?

Skane~ I worried what I would do without my morning cup of coffee. Being from the south, I like a cup of good strong coffee. I love black tea as well. "Sasha" and I have had good response to the celestial seasonings herbal teas. I also purchased an herbal pure peppermint leaf tea (twinings brand, especially nice cause they're individually wrapped), on the recommendation of another sleever MinaT, who's said it was her sipping savior. I have really found it warm and soothing. I enjoy it much more than I thought I would. Just some suggestions for you and "Beyoncé". ;)

Pre-surgery my daily intake was a minimum of 64-oz of caffeine-laden black iced tea and 20-oz of non-fat latte. My greatest post-surgery concerns included:

• Not being able to ever drink iced tea with my meals
  • Not being able to ever use a straw
  • Not being able to ever get iced tea when dining out (or at drive-thrus) since restaurants and fast-food places don't typically offer decaf
  • Not having my morning latte

At three-plus months out -- In alignment with my Nut and Surgeon's instructions:

• I have settled into a nice routine of not drinking 30 min. before or after a meals. It has become an easy habit and I am so full from 4-5 oz. of food that I can't imagine adding liquids to the mix.
  • I have easily learned not to order drinks with my meals at restaurants. Funny how the wait-staff keep asking, "Are you sure you don't want Water? "
  • I brew Decaf iced tea at home and work (Paradise Tropical Decaf is fabulous) and have this throughout the day when easily accessible.

At three-plus months out -- NOT by the book:

• I have no difficulty using a straw
  • When out-and-about, I drive-thru and get caffeinated iced tea without consequences
  • Starting at the 3-month mark, I make 8 oz low-fat decaf lattes daily HOWEVER I have had caffeinated now and then without any problems.

We are all different and you just need to see what your body will tolerate. I do believe there are legitimate reasons for the "rules" but we are creating a new way of life -- this isn't just a short-term fix -- so we have to learn what works for our bodies and lifestyle.

At 3 weeks post-op, I have returned to my normal routine of a cup or two of coffee (with cream and Stevia) before Breakfast every morning with no problems. The rest of my Fluid intake is all caffeine free. Everything in moderation.

I started iced /hot coffee with cream and sweetener at about 2 months post op shortly after returning to work. For me I was sooo constipated so it helped with that. I think its really just about keeping your Water intake up since caffeine is a diuretic.