Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does your doctor say about drinking coke?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What does your doctor say about drinking coke?

• No problem, drink it if you want to.
    • If you have to drink it, drink it flat.
    • Don't drink it at all, its bad for you.

My docter says its bad for me, but I drink it everyday. Of course, I havn't had my first fill yet. Things may change then.

My Dr. said that I can have a soda every once in a while as long as it's on a empty stomach.

I was sooo addicted to diet soda before...I think I drank about 6 Diet Sprites a day since I was 8 years old. WOW!

I feel so much better without aspartame and all that other junk so I will stay off the soda from now on.

I now drink flavored Water and propel.

I am a diet soda junkie... I used to be addicted to Diet Coke... however, I have weaned myself off of caffeinated beverages and on to drinks such as Diet Rite or Diet Hansens sodas... both have no sodium, no caffeine and use splenda rather than aspartame. I am supposed to be weaning myself off of them while working on my pre-op diet, but the dietitian said I could wait until I ran out of what I had in the house before quitting altogether. I'm now down to my last 2 6-packs and plan to go into mourning this weekend.

The other hard thing for me will be to give up drinking from a straw... my routine is a nice big Tervis tumbler, tons of ice, soda and a straw... the only time I don't use a straw is when I drink from a Water bottle with a sport cap.

These two things may just be the things that keep me from being successful with the band... I am not sure I can do it.

I was addicted to Diet Pepsi and haven't had one since June. I was told several different things. 1. No carbonated beverages ever. 2. If you do then drink it flat. 3. It's okay to drink after 6 months post op, but it could cause severe gas. I've chosen to not even go there. If I've done it for this long I don't need it. In fact, a few weeks ago, my mom bought me a cappicino (forgive my spelling) from McD's to help me stay awake while I was driving. I bounced off walls for hours that night. Won't be doing that again! :biggrin1:

Karla

Since surgery I have tried to have a soda a couple of times and I was only able to drink about an ounce and that was it for me. I like fountain better than can. Have not tried fountain yet.

Chris

I gave up soda for a year and a half after my surgery and didnt miss it one bit (I was a huge diet coke addict). I had a major life changing event occur in July of this year and for some stress relief I reached for a diet coke....and oh boy did it taste soooo good. After that I started drinking them here and there until one day I was completely hooked again and getting a 44oz fountain drink daily. For the most part I had no problems with the diet coke, until recently. I now am occasionally getting severe bloating and gas with the diet coke which has been extremely painful. It has gotten so bad that I have thrown up twice this week. The first time I didnt relate it at all to the diet coke as I have been drinking them for a few months now with no problems. It happened again today however and the only thing I had in my stomach was the diet coke. So I decided to go online and do a search for carbonation in these threads and this is the one I found. I just read through the whole thing. I will say that I am convinced that it is the diet coke causing my bloating and severe gas pains. However I do not buy into the other problems that they say can happen with drinking carbonation. I don't feel I can eat anymore because of my pouch expanding. I know my band has not slipped ( I can feel it since I have lost all my weight). The most interesting thing to me is that most often then not I can drink a large one with a straw and have zero problems. But today I promise you the pain was so severe that I have decided to stop them again. My boyfriend suggested I try one flat...but I don't know if that would even be worth it. We'll see how it goes.....I know when the morning hits I am gonna be craving one big time!

My Dr. said no carbonation or straws from here on, because of the gas, bloating and excess air (from the straw). Said nothing about erosion or slippage, just that 1. not good for you 2. unncessary discomfort. Makes sense to me. So far I've listened to him...

Julie, I have no restriction anymore. I had all the fill removed last April after I reached my goal weight. It wasn't till July that I even had my first soda...and did fine with it. Its just been recently that I have had problems. Today was my first diet coke free day....perhaps this is why I have a horrible headache.

Just had a weekend of 7 diet cokes after not having any for 6 months. Didn't hurt, cause any problems although boy can I belch now!

Going to stop however - just cause I didn't have a problem doesn't mean I might not in the future

My doctor said no carbonation, so no more Diet Cokes for me. I was drinking 5 or 6 20oz bottles a day before I went pre-op almost two weeks ago. The week before pre-op I cut down to one a day or none if I could make it, and once I started the pre-op diet I cut out the Diet Cokes altogether. It's bad enough cutting back the food; I didn't want a caffiene-related headache on top of it.

I find it interesting that some doctors say that the carbonation will stretch out the stomach and others say it will not. Have there been any scientific studies proving one way or the other?

I've made the switch to Crystal Light and various other brands of drink flavors. I find the Hawaiin Punch ones good (at 5 calories). They don't burn like the ol' Diet Cokes used to, but if it's a mandatory sacrifice, I'm willing to make it.

I asked Dr. Curry on this thread if it stretched the pouch out. He said there was no scientific evidence of that. I think the carbonation can just upset the stomach. In my case, it irritates it.

I used to be a complete diet coke addict. I had one for Breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon, dinner, before bed and more. I thought I would not be able to stand life without diet coke. But, I went over a year without one. Then, one day we were travelling and the hubby and I were both dieing of thirst. We stopped at a rest area and the machines were out of bottled Water, so carbonated beverages were the only choice. My hubby got a diet coke and I said I would wait till the next exit. When we got in the car, I decided to take just a sip of his to tide me over. I was expecting it would be so wonderful just to have a taste. Boy, was I surprised, I took one drink and spit it out. I didn't like the flavor, the texture, the way it felt on my tongue, nothing. Needless to say, I am cured of any desire for carbonated soda. :whoo:

I was told to wait 6 months out and then only in moderation. A glass of champagne for a special occassion, etc.

I guess they may or may not know if it causes slippage but clearly sugary sodas are empty calories (bad) and diet sodas appear to be addictive/create thirst (?) because everyone seems to say they drank alot of them.

Maybe they just don't know for sure and would rather us take no risks. There is apparently no upswing for us to do it. So I guess I am onboard with that thinking.

I hate the gas part anyway. I'd like to skip any unnecessary gas explosions if I can:-)