Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I read so many threads of people who have experienced complications, it seems there are far more people who have experienced some sort of complication vs those who have not. I am fully aware that there is the possibilty of risks and complications with any surgery however it scares me reading about so many people that have them. I've tried to talk myself out of it by thinking the people who did not have complications are more likely to be off enjoying their new found lives and not posting as often as compared to those that have complications and are seeking advice or just wanting to share their experienve.

Do anyone know of a site or anything that will provide data as to the number of patients that experience complications? I would love to hear from all that have any thoughts about this topic. I have my mind set on the sugery however I am the type of person who likes to be fully prepared for all possibilties.

I've heard about the Bariatric Outcomes Longitudinal Database (BOLD) which is tracking outcomes. You may want to do some Internet research on it.

I'm sure someone can post a site with hard statistics on the risk of complications. If I recall correctly from talking to my surgon before my surgery, the risk is fairly low. However things can happen. Case in point... i ended up havinn to go back into the hospital 2 wweeks after my surgery because I developed a blood clot in the arm my I.V. was in during my stay from the sleeve proceedure. But even with that, I wouldnt trade anything I've done because in those 3 weeks since surgery I'm already down at least 35lbs; maybe more, I havent weighed in this week to find out.

I know you'll hear far more horror stories than the good ones on the internet. Everything from major complications to small ones... but those people are just a fraction of the total amount who get the surgery done. Try not to worry yourself. Our Doctors and care givers take every precaution possible to ensure complication dont happen, and will be there if something does arise.

i know i've read the good the bad the ugly right here on this forum and thats why i love it b/c you dont just get *the surgery is awesome i've had nothing happen* you get it from all aspects of the journey

and BTW a lil off topic but Nate i love your icon haha

If you search this site for complications, you'll find complications in all their gory details. If you search for success stories, you'll find them as well. I think those who are having complications stand out more because they are so unusual. We have over 1,000 members here and I can name less than 10 that I know of who have had complications related to surgery. There are probably more, but those 10 stand out because I actively look for them, and have actively looked for them since I saw the first complication post from each of them.

Of those 10, ONE says she wouldn't go through the surgery again after she is healed. All of the others have said they would do it over, even knowing they'd have the complications they had. That speaks volumes to me.

Any surgery is risky. But, statistically, getting in your car to run to the store for milk is way more dangerous than the sleeve surgery. This is what I kept in mind when I decided to be sleeved. Maybe it will help you make your decision.

Whatever you eventually choose, good luck! :)

Funny u say that because I actually had an appointment with my primary care physician this morning about that. I am not sleeved yet. Scheduled in September, as right now I'm going through the insurance requirements. I brought up the complications risk. He made a good point by telling me you can't compare your condition to anyone else's. For example, I am a 5'1 female, 34 years old who is 90 pounds overweight. I have no other health issues. No diabetes, no heart disease, not even high blood pressure. I'm just fat! Chances of me having a complication are small due to the fact I'm in good health. Now take someone who is severely obese, compound that with diabetes, heart disease, and or other medical conditions. Their chances of a complication are much greater than mine. The healthier you start out, the better chances of less/ or zero complications.

I am one week out today. I had buyer's remorse for one day, which was Friday. My problem was adjusting to liquids dropping into my recently cut stomach. I knew that it would be an adjustment, but I needed support from my veteran sleevers. I really hope that my update wasn't one of the ones that scared you. If so, I sincerely apologize. You see, at this point, I already know that I would have this surgery all over again if necessary.

Just an fyi, I was walking up and down my stairs when I returned home. I didn't have any pain after leaving the hospital. Discomfort, yes...pain, no.

Anyway, I hope that my $0.02 helps...good luck!!! :)

Sent from my PG86100 using VST

@Aspiring Evangelist, no need to apologize! I came to this site seeking real life people with real life experiences and that is what I have gotten. I am happy to hear that your buyer's remorse only lasted one day. I am hoping that I do as well as you have.

@Lissa, thank you for your response. I always enjoy and appreciate hearing from you. I agree, I have also told people the same thing, that I am not promised to return from work w/out having a fatal accident so there is a huge risk in everyday life itself. I have also searched and read that most people who experience complications still do no regret having the procedure once all the complications have been taken care of.

Thanks to everyone for your response. This site has helped me in so many ways and I am certain it will continue to do so. :D

Good luck & keep us posted! :)

Oh, my doctor took me off my meds today. I'm on one (very low dose) bp med. It's 5 mg to be exact...so, that's a plus side!!! :)