Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Have Someone Close To Them Who Opposes This Surgery?

I have a close friend of 40 years who is very opposed to my having this surgery. She doesn't believe in altering one's body for the sake of weight loss. I should add that she has never been overweight more than 8 pounds in her life.

I had really hoped to have her support in this because she is like a sister to me. But, she wants me to try dieting one more time.

Anyone else have this issue with a close friend or family member who absolutely does not want you to have this surgery?

yeah, everyone opposed, but in the end ure doing it for you, so they will support u, and if they dont, they obviously dont understand what ure going through, and they never willl unless they get put in the same position, my mom was against it, my father, my closest friends, everyone was against it, but i insisted and now they all say i made a great choice, so do it for you!

I don't imagine she told you who to marry, or what kind of car to buy, so why does it matter what YOU want to do for yourself?

My sister was opposed. I had the surgery three weeks ago and I am still getting the cold shoulder. Although I understand the opposition comes from genuine concern for your health and well being, it is unfortunate when folks cross a boundary into the land of being unsympathetic and judgemental.

My mom didn't think I needed surgery, and she was very worried that I was getting it. She was vocal in her objections. My husband didn't think I needed surgery, and he was very worried that I was getting it. He wasn't vocal in his objections because he knew I wanted it.

I explained to both of them why I wanted the surgery. They were still worried, which is normal. Both are my biggest supporters, and I think they both see now why it was important to me. They know I'm happier and healthier now.

I had a co worker who was VERY opposed to me having the surgery to the point she would say something negative every day I worked with her...it was very hard luckily I had other very supportive coworkers and they even stood up to me against her :) all I can say for advice is this (a very wise coworker told me this) this journey is very personal and just for you! It is a very personal decision about YOUR life and you are the only person that needs to live with it...if you feel it's the right decision then go for it!! Good luck Hun!!

I have people like my brother & some more people who object to surgery say that it's not natural to cut your body. Without getting hostile I say supprt me or be quiet. I'm 4 1/2 weeks out post op & I'm down 40 pounds including the weight from pre-op. bottom line, do what's best for you & pray about it.

I was nervous about what my best friend would say, so I didn't tell her until I got home. She was stunned silent, but later that evening, this is the text I got:

"If u need anything let me know. I think you are very brave for what you did. I really admire that. If you need any help along with this process let me know what I can do. Maybe it was good I didn't know bc the mother side of me would have come out and I would have been a nervous nelly.."

I was nervous about what my best friend would say' date=' so I didn't tell her until I got home. She was stunned silent, but later that evening, this is the text I got:

"If u need anything let me know. I think you are very brave for what you did. I really admire that. If you need any help along with this process let me know what I can do. Maybe it was good I didn't know bc the mother side of me would have come out and I would have been a nervous nelly.."[/quote']

That's a good friend. :)

My husband did not say one word for or against the surgery until the morning I left...then he said "are you writing out your last will and testiment?" your going to a third world country to have a major surgery...what in the hell are you thinking?" And he walked out....Did not tell me he loved me, no kiss good bye, not nothing just left....

It is HUGE to have a good support system...I was doing this for me...me...me...and again...ME!...I wanted to play with my grandchildren not watch him play with them. I have since lost 89# to date and am loving every ounce of the loss. I have people come up to me in the store on the street and when they visit my home or office and squeel in absolute amazement at how awesome I am looking...and to be perfectly honest...I am looking pretty good...I have come down 10 pants sizes in 3 1/2 mos. Yet my hubby has yet to utter one word of praise or support!

I know he told our 12 yr. old son "your mom will always be fat" and "she is just wasting her money this will never work".....he is probably not said anything as he is continueing to figure out how in the heck he is gonna quit choking on his vicious evil words.

I love him to death do us part....and if I must perform the hymlick manuever because those words get stuck...I will....and I only have another 116 lbs to go before I weigh in less than him.... And that should be around Christmas time....

Do this for YOURSELF....YOU MATTER! YOUR HEALTH MATTERS!!!

My girlfriends who were skeptical of the surgery are now my biggest cheerleaders!

Welcome to the losers bench....the more the merrier!

Wow, a lot of people in your shoes.

A couple of my SoCal Sleeve buddies calls me the secret keeper. I didn't tell my mom who would have been adamantly opposed to this surgery. Did not tell her for until three months after surgery and she lives very close to me. She actually pushed me to get surgery by stating "if we could only tape your mouth closed" reffering to my eating all the time.

I only told three people prior to surgery due to the negativity I was expecting. One dear friend was horrid and told me all sorts of "friends" who have had problems.

Hence, I kept my mouth shut. When I hit goal, I started telling people how. That shut them up.

Gramaof4, sounds just like my hubs! Every word. I'm going to Mexico ALONE in August. Its for me! And I'm gonna love every quiet me time!

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sorry that we can't have support from all our loved ones but I am glad that there are those who support me 100%. I have a co-worker who was "sleeved" back in February and is doing fantasticly. She's been my best cheerleader!!