Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:( I have been in a constant state of nausea since about the 2nd week post op.

I can barely eat anything (not that it comes back out, but the nausea is sooooo pervasive I don't want to eat) the mere thought of eating anything, including Protein shakes, is just a no go.

I am on my 2nd nausea medication but it doesn't seem to be doing much but I don't want to stop taking it just incase it is helping to some degree. Taking any meds is a definate battle...

Anyone go through this? How long does it last? Will I have this through out the entire high Protein diet or will it subside at some point?

Thank you for any advise you can offer!

Cris

Hi Pookeyism, no they haven't suggested a patch form. I wonder if it is the same medication I am on (zofran)? I will have to call and ask!

I am sorry you are having the issue. I am with Pookey, try the patch. I was nauseous when I came out of surgery and they gave me the patch...worked great!

I had the patch and changed it every 3 days and anti-nausea medications. One thing about these, they can cause dehydration, so you need to get your Water in.

I have suffered nausea with Protein shakes pretty severely. As I am drinking them down, they are coming up and felt like I was drinking elmer's glue. These are the ones that I loved and used 7 months previous to surgery.

Did the doctor give you med cups (one ounce (30ml) cups) to use? I find that pouring my drink or Water into them and sipping them (3 sips usually get the one ounce down) causes less air and gas and less nausea issues.

If you have any decaff tea, try that. What has helped me and others is Peppermint Tea (decaff). I use Bigelow and it's in a blue box. I add one packet of Truvia to it and it actually sooths my belly when it's cramping or h urting. It is refreshing warm or cold.

At first water used to bug me, and the tea is what helped my sensitivity and I was able to get water down. Right now concentrate on your waters and perhaps a tea, and sugar free popsicles. If you can't get shakes in, go back a step to clears. Isopure Green Tea with Lemon, with added Mio Lemon flavor seemed to go down easier than shakes for me. Find a flavor you like. You can purchase these at GNC.

I was h aving an issue with my shakes being blended because I was adding a lot more air to it. I tried shaking it but it didn't matter at first.

Best wishes and good luck, I hope things get better. I'm still on the liquid phase and I'm 18 days out.

I'm 5 weeks out and nausea all the time I'm taking z med to my dr said it takes some of us longer to heal . I try so hard to eat and it starts to Hurt. I'm so tired of complaining every one makes me feel like I'm faking it . They don't know what it feels like

Thank you Kimberly. It is good to hear that the patch worked for you as well as Pookey. Definately will talk to my Dr. about that!

Mina T thank you for all the information! I am going to go and get the tea tomorrow. I just donated about 12 bottles of the Isopure to the Nutritionist, it just made me feel sicker (didn't think that was possible!).

Sazzygirl I am sorry you are having trouble with others supporting you! That just stinks! Tell them its like trying to swallow a baseball because anything that goes down is being met with an opening that is just about swollen shut. It does take time to heal...longer than most of us want that is for sure! I am just about 2 months out and I remember that swollen feeling you are speaking about. I still have trouble with some pain, but it does get better over time, we just have to be patient with our bodies, we went through a major surgery! (I consider any surgery that takes this long to heal from major)

We all know you aren't faking it!

I'm 5 weeks out and nausea all the time I'm taking z med to my dr said it takes some of us longer to heal . I try so hard to eat and it starts to Hurt. I'm so tired of complaining every one makes me feel like I'm faking it . They don't know what it feels like

I understand how you feel. I'm five weeks out and what my dr gave me for nausea was suppositories. It was the only thing that worked along with grape pedialyte mixed with equal amounts of grape juice and that kept me from getting dehydrated. We're all so different. Stay positive and read these threads. Someone will have some good advice.

I'm 8 weeks out today and having these same issues... I am constantly vomitting bile. I have returned to liquids and yet I am throwing up at least once a day... I take Zofran as well as nexium to reduce the acid, and I have tried the patch but problem is I'm still vomiting while taking all these medications. I have been rehospitalized twice with two separate EGD's done to try and figure out what's going on. All I keep hearing is the anatomy looks great.... sigh... this is making life very difficult for me. I'm so glad a friend of mine pointed me in this direction because everyone else keeps saying it will get better but they haven't experienced it to this severity. At one point in time I was able to eat. But about 3 weeks ago I began to be unable to tolerate anything. And I too have this thing with water... it makes me very gaseous and nauseous.... What is that about? I'm going to try the tea...

I have had similar issues. I have been on all sorts of nausea meds and Zofran seems to work the best at this point. I also had to increase my Nexium dose through my gastro doctor as the acid reflux was making things worse. I also got a wedge pillow to sleep on and that helps. I can keep some food down but then in the middle of the night my tummy gets upset and I tend to wretch. Not much coming up so I know I am getting some nutrients but it is hard to deal with. I am still very weak as I cannot keep Protein Drinks down either. I'm seeing tiny signs of improvement and my doctor is trying everything he can think of so I am trying to stay positive. On the good side, I have lost 40 lbs since my first weigh in weeks pre op.