Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet And Social Activities

Hi All, now that I have been officially approved for surgery and my surgery date is set (Aug 1st) I am completely focusing almost obsessively on the pre-op diet. It appears that the two weeks I will be on the pre-op diet will be the two weeks I have a ton of social activities. Argh. My question is how do you get through them? I'm even debating on not going to anything and just locking myself at home without any food insight. Just to get an idea of some activities I have going on during those 2 weeks.

Def Leppard - Poison Concert

Michael Jackson circ de sole Show

Baseball Game - Go Cubs

Bridal Shower

Bachelorette Party

I would love to hear if any of you had/have to go to a social gathering during your pre-op diet and how did you or how will you deal?

two weeks I have a ton of social activities. Argh.

Def Leppard - Poison Concert

Michael Jackson circ de sole Show

I definitely don't think you should go to any of the above events, no way no how :angry:

Now, not to waste the tickets, where do i meet you to pick up MY free tickets :lol:

go the shows and enjoy them. since you are only pre-op, you can really eat legally <_<

have fun at the bachelorette and bridal shower too ,if you want to curb what you eat, good for you

many of, us, including myself went on food funerals before surgery, eating more than necessary cuz you figure you will never eat real food again. that is not true, just smaller portions.

sounds like you are in control though, you probably eat less anyways. good for you

ps don't lock yourself in your room, i don't have the key :lol:

good luck on your pending WLS

kathy

First what does you pre op diet consist of?? Second I think you can totally pull off these events. At 4 days post op I went to a wedding and played with my food, but ate none of it and just drank Water, no one noticed anything.

Good luck to you. Not drinking alcohol is going to be a big thing. The thing about shrinking your liver is the most important part and of course, concerts, parties usually have alcohol involved. If you can get away with not drinking the alcohol, make sure you get your shakes in and drink a lot of Water. If it becomes hard, then head h ome.

I do know that I was only allowed 3 shakes a day and it did something to my belly and I used the washroom a lot. It's also the time that I learned a valuable lesson and that's to never trust a fart.

I locked myself in the house for 2 weeks and I exercised a whole lot. I wish I would have gone and done a few fun things, so I hope you enjoy yourself.

So I'm doing my preop liquid diet right now. I am only doing mine for a week, and I'm currently on day 3! So far it has been a pretty big challenge for me, but it is totally mind over matter! I am a serious people person so staying in the house the whole time for real would drive me crazy! I decided to not let it interfere with my daily routine, and even decided to go to Six Flags yesterday. I brought a cooler of shakes and tea etc. and they said it wasn't a problem because I needed it for medical reasons! I had a blast and didn't hardly think about the fact that I missed food so much. I recommend staying busy and not letting it interfere with having fun. I mean in the end wouldn't you regret not doing the things you love?

I'm on my preop now. Day 2. I'm starting to get the mild headache everyone talks about. I'm not doing so well on the quitting smoking thing. But I have gone from6-8 24 oz of diet mtn dew to none since Sunday. Luckily I can have one lean cuisine a day for dinner daily

Carefully...but it is do-able. You need to plan. I did mine with Christmas and New Years Eve thrown in the mix!

I had the same concerns. I had a wedding while I was on my pre-op diet. My diet was strictly powdered packets I received from the DR and no real food. However, I asked the dietician about it and she said at the wedding I could have a piece of chicken and vegetables, even a few beers but no cake! Well, wedding got postponed anyway. For big events like that I would recommend not being anti-social but just trying to do everything in moderation and make wise choices. My challenge was friends and coworkers wanting to plan get-togethers and dinners during my pre-op diet (which was FOUR weeks). I hadn't told any of these people about the surgery so it made me kind of nervous. I just had to determine how important the event was or if the plans could be modified to accomodate my diet. I think post-op is going to be more difficult when it comes to social events... I have my sister's 21st, a concert, my BFF's 30th and another BFF's wedding I'm in, all within 2 months post-op!

Thanks everyone for the great advice! My pre-opt diet consists of 4 low carb slim fast shakes, broths, Water, sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello. I hear that the first 3 days are the hardest, is that true?

I think I will be fine for the concert and show and it might help me take my mind off the hunger. I'm more worried about the bridal shower and bachelorette party. Those are going to be hard but it truly is mind over matter.

YESS the first three days are hard, and I was on the exact same diet as you lol. I'm on day 7 now with surgery tomorrow! You can do it girl! :)

YESS the first three days are hard, and I was on the exact same diet as you lol. I'm on day 7 now with surgery tomorrow! You can do it girl! :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Good Luck tomorrow!