Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 1 Year Surgiversary- Can Hardly Believe It!

Well, 1 year ago today almost to the hour I had my surgery starting out at 271# @ 5'3". What an amazing journey this has been. I can honestly say that I am so glad I did this and how it has improve my quality of life in more ways than I can count. I am now just 10# from my final goal and while it would have been nice to be at goal by now, I am pleased with my progress of loosing 141# in this time.

I have been buying thrift store clothes almost exclusively, which honestly isn't much different from my previous shopping habits. I have been able to find some incredible deals, nice clothes at rock bottom prices that nobody at work would even suspect. I have attached a picture taken of me yesterday and that suit outfit was bought at a thrift store just 3 weeks ago for $6!!! Not a thing wrong with it.

I'm now wearing size 5/6 jeans, size 8 or 10 petite business suits, size 4 slacks and it is just truly amazing when I look at clothes off the rack trying to wrap my head around this IS the size I wear. As I slide on my size 6 jeans, it still seems so surreal I can hardly believe it's me.

As I look back on my journey, I recall the stalls and frustration when my weight didn't fall off consistently, and I would say it was around the 6th or 7th month when I realized I was really going to have to kick up my game to keep that momentum going. I'm not a patient person and didn't want to get frustrated and fall back into my old patterns. So, I started increasing my exercise, and really paying attention to my carb intake, and upping my dense Proteins. I really love the weight loss challenges because they really motivate me to hitting my next target. My next weight loss target will hopefully be my last.

Reading through various maintenance threads, I am becoming more and more aware how I know I am going to have to continue to be diligent with maintaining my healthy eating. Do I allow myself treats once in awhile? Yes, but in very small moderation. Fortunately, the sleeve keeps me in check. But, I know it will be up to me to watch what goes into my mouth.

Since surgery, I have become lactose intolerant. It happened within the 2nd month, and found out when I tried just a bite of ice cream and oh my.... cramps in the stomach and a quick trip to the bathroom with some bad diarrhea. Never having been lactose intolerant I wasn't really sure this was the sign of being lactose intolerant, so of course I had to test my stomach again and sure enough. It's been interesting learning what things my stomach can handle, what it can't. I am moderately lactose intolerant now so as long as it's not real rich in milk product and it's a small amount I am usually fine, but I am still very cautious. I really don't mind this "side effect" though because sweets/ chocolate have ALWAYS been a downfall for me and so now when I see chocolate, my first thought is the repulsive reaction my stomach will have if I eat it and that's a good thing!

For anyone on the fence of whether to do the surgery, or struggling at the start of their journey, just know that it is all worth it! I am happier and more confident than I have been in years. I enjoy the way people treat me better and of course looking better and healthier is certainly a huge factor!!

post-6374-1381365902947_thumb.png

post-6374-13813659029689_thumb.png

post-6374-13813659029876_thumb.png

Wow! What an amazing transformation! You are truly an inspiration. Congrats!

Vikki H

Amazing! You sound like you're in a great mindset and look terrific! Can't wait to get there myself - thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks guys. It hasn't been easy and days when I just wanted to take a break from it all, but I set my "eye on the prize" because I was determined to make it. I am almost there!

Wow, you look amazing and what a wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing!

:D Thank you for that wonderful compliment!!! I hope that the weight redistributes a bit in my face because when I smile, I don't like the lines on the side of my cheek bones, but its ok. I feel wonderful!

Stunning! I am only a few months post op but it is stories like yours that keep me motivated.

You've lost yourself... and some! Congrats! You look so slight now! Good luck with the transition into maintance, not that you will need it as you sound positive and ready for the next phase! Well Done you! =]

Wow! Great job...

Thanks so much everyone! I don't often post here looking for accolades, but this is a big milestone for me and I appreciate everyone's support! Thank you! It's been quite the ride!

Remember that song, "You're My Inspiration"? Well, I'm singing it to you!

You look fantastic. Thanks for sharing your story and I know that it will serve as an inspiration to many to include myself. My surgery is July 31st but it helps so much to see what other people have experienced. Thanks again for sharing with all of us.

Thanks again everyone! I have found this board so helpful throughout my entire journey. I used the posts from this board and others to help me begin my research the moment I decided WLS was what I wanted, but needed to educate myself on everything out there. I became obsessed with reading and researching, but ultimately I kept coming back to this site because by and large everyone on here is genuine and gives honest feedback. Some of the other boards, I never was sure if they were paid posters and there were more problems with posts disappearing if it referenced a Dr. that had issues.

I plan to stick around well into maintenance simply because I need to be sure I am accountable and I think seeing other people post about their journey (the good/ the bad, etc) will help me remember what I had to go through to get here and hopefully be an incentive to stay on track.