Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Does It Seem That I Am Hungry Sometimes ?

I stop when I feel that pressure which is about 3 oz. it depends on what it is. I hate to slime or puke so make sure I don't get past that pressure feeling : )

I find that I still haven't learned to eat as slowly as I should. It takes time for the brain to register "full". In the past, the stretch receptors in your stomach would signal the brain "full" once they started to stretch. It would take some time for this to translate to the brain and then tell you "hey, getting full down here....please stop eating". In the meanwhile, you have still eaten more, but it was okay because you still had stretch capacity and could eat a few more bites without too many side effects (pain, nausea, vomiting).

Now, the greater curvature of the stomach (where all our stretch capacity and most of our stretch receptors were located) is gone. Therefore, by the time your brain figures out you're full and you stop eating, you're probably already past capacity and end up feeling overfull and perhaps ill.

The best way to combat this is to measure food (and weights are based primarily on dense foods such as dense Proteins, etc. not food that expands in your stomach, such as breads, etc.). As well, the second best approach is to eat slowly enough to give your brain time to catch up with what is happening with your stomach and signal you in time to stop, not after you're already full.

Again, as I said, this is a very difficult skill to master! I'm still not chewing each bite enough (it's gets boring to have the same thing in your mouth for so long...mashed to a pulp!) and I still eat too fast (years of eating "on the go" and wanting to get my food in quick!).

Ditto web chickadee!!

These are all good practices just take it very slow...

I feel hungry often too and I'm going to try and increase my Nexium and see if it helps. :huh:

Going out to eat with husband, family, & friends is a part of my life that I've had to adjust too because Portion Control while visiting is hard for me. Now I keep 2 oz. plastic condiment cups in our cars, so I never forget to bring them and can measure my food before eating. I order and ask the server to bring a to go box with my food, so after I measure it I put the rest away. Once I experienced overeating at a restaurant, I never wanted to do it again. The little cups help me enjoy the experience without overeating. At home I use 1 and 2 oz. ramekin (souffle) cups to measure everything.

What I did is weighted my food that I am only eating the food the weights 3.0 oz or less and today I am getting the stuffed feeling. But I need to change some of my eating habits too.. Plus started walking again and I am going to continue to walk until I lose down too 135lbs. Plus on the july 16th I am going to start really working out. Because my Dr. doesn't want me to do any working out until it has been 2 months after my surgery.

I'm 8 days post-op. Does that mean all the little gurgles and what feels like hunger pains is acid or gas or both? Im taking Omeprazole once a day, Maybe I should increase it?

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, bu t I had the same question about the hunger part.