Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded, feeling very bloated

I was banded on Friday. Its now Monday. I'm feeling very gassy and bloated. I'm often gassy and bloated when I don't eat, so I moved on from the Clear liquids only to the next phase: yogurt, strained Soups, Carnation Instant Breakfast, etc. It has helped some. I haven't had any nausia or spitting up. But my belly still feels enourmous from gas and possibly from some swelling from the surgery? I took some gas pills and they helped me sleep, but they don't seem to be helping much today. The doctor said I would experience gas for one or two days post surgery.

Comments? Suggestions?

Hi there...

I had gas for at least five days after surgery and was bloated, too. It's now been 10 days since banding and I'm feeling normal.

Courage....! It'll pass (pun intended):) .

After I was banded I looked like I was 8 months pregnant I was so bloated! Tommorow is my 2 week mark and I'm still a bit swollen, but not nearly as bad as before. The Gas-X caplets did nothing for me, but the chewable Rolaids that are for gas, bloating, etc. worked well.

Grats on your banding and welcome to Bandland!

Many have said that Gas-X works for them, but many others say that getting up and walking around works faster and better. If you get any pains in your shoulder or stomach from the gas, you might try a heating pad on that area.

Remember to keep yourself hydrated too! Keep us posted on your progress!

Walk Walk Walk! It is the best medicine for moving all of the gas around to relieve it and help to get it out. What you are feeling is totally normal. We all have been there, good luck and hang in there Congrats! :D

Hi,

I walked around a lot to walk off the gas. I felt very bloated for the first 5-6 days. I still get a pain in my shoulder after I eat sometimes, but then it goes away. I am just a week and a half out from my banding on August 17th. The first 3 days were the hardest as it hurt to walk and to get in and out of bed and on and off the toilet. Each day after there was less pain, now just dissolving stitches that itch some. I am able to eat yogurt and slim fast and maybe after my dr.s appointment on Wednesday some cream Soups. That will be a welcome change.

Today is Tuesday (banded Friday) and I'm feeling MUCH better. Have been passing gas (YAY!!) and even burped this morning! Had my first BM since the surgery and that helped, too (pardon being explicit about bathroom stuff, but this is a thread about gas, after all). I don't feel like the gas pills really helped all that much. It just takes time to pass the gas from the surgery.

My belly is still swollen and some of it is gas, but some I think is just swelling from the incisions.

Anyway, feeling much better. I'm not having any trouble with cloudy liquids and semi-liquids. Over the past two days, I've had no problem with yogurt, pudding, carrot Soup with ginger, butternut squash Soup, Tomato Soup, Carnation Instant Breakfast with skim milk, or cafe au lait. I think I actually don't have that much restriction, which I hear is common, but I'm able to keep on the liquid/semi-liquid diet by telling myself that eating solids right now will make me throw up. And don't tell me I won't throw up because the only think keeping me away from Bourbon chicken right now is the threat of vomiting.

Hey there--I too was banded on Friday. I was/am still pretty gassy--but I must say the walking thing really works!! I can only drink about 1/2 cup of liquids at a time and 1 popsicle fills me up--so the hunger thing isn't so bad with me. I must say I am very constipated so I am going to get some Fibercon today--hopefully it will help! I also feel bloated--but not too much--it really went down on the second day post-op! And I know what you mean about not wanting to eat--just the thought of solid food and what it would feel like coming back up is enough to keep me away--for now! I know soon I'll be salivating like Pavlovs dog---Ring---Food?---I'm-a-comin'!!!!

I got banded on the 23rd myself. I still have my days when I am bloated and gassy. I have yet to burp. I haven't vomited and have had no nausea. My stomach is still tight and I called my doctor today and he said it was normal.

Today is Wednesday. I'm quite bloated again today, which surprises me since I was excited to have four very good burps yesterday. My stomach feels ginourmous and I have to lean way back in the chair. I feel like I'm 9 months pregnant. In fact sometimes my stomach has little muscle spasms around the band, which feels like a baby kicking!

At least since the incisions are healing and not as sore the bloating isn't so painful, just uncomfortable. Hanging in there!

My mother leaves tomorrow and I'll have to take care of the kids (ages 5 and 3) alone! I think I'm mostly up to the challenge at this point. With some discomfort I can now pick things up off the floor. But my daughter is having a tough time understanding why I won't pick her up or let her sit in my lap. I didn't realize how much physical affection I gave her until now. But she's already bumped one of my incisions once to the point where it started oozing, so I can't take any chances. She's very confused when I push her away when she tries to sit on my lap, but its only for a few more weeks.

Six days since banded and I am SO HUNGRY! I want to go the McD and get the Steak, Egg and cheese Bagel. I can't stop thinking about it. I'm already sick to death of yogurt, carrot Soup, beef broth, and pudding.

On a positive note, the following good things are happening:

• episodes of gas bloating are becoming less frequent, less severe, and briefer
  • with a small pillow supporting my belly I was able to sleep on my side for part of last night, giving my aching back some welcome relief
  • experiencing much less pain when I sit up from a lying down position
  • incisions all appear to be healing normally
  • no nausia or vomiting at all

And, last but not least, I've lost 5.5 pounds in six days!! I'm sure a lot of it is Water weight but still. I did not expect to lose that much in the first week.

OMG.. I wanted steak so bad! I could hardly get one full cup of liquid down but I was sure I could eat a COW! LOL!

Toss some bean with bacon Soup in the blender and turn it into a thick creamy soup, then heat it up. Trust me, you'll be back here hugging me and thanking me. It saved me and many others when we were where you are now!

(I'll be waiting for that hug!) :P