Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

congratulations. What a great start to the new year:thumbup:

Well,

I've done all the pre-op x-rays, ultrasounds, and overnight breathing test. Now I should get a call from Dr. Leung's office for a pre-op meeting to set a date! Excited/nervous!!

Hi paula I just wanted to know how your experience was with Dr. Leung, and how your life has changed since you had the surgery performed? Did you come across any complications? How have your eating habits been effected? Do you have difficulty eating any certain foods or with over eating? I have been struggling with my weight for the past 10 years..any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated! magirobson@hotmail.com

Dr Leung has been banding patients for a lot of years.. he has very little bedside manner from what I have heard but his patients as a group have done amazing...

He used to not fill unless they had met their goals they set or if he felt they didn't need it and a host of other reason I don't know if that is still true. I haven't read a lot of complications from his patients over the years nor have I read any complaints other than his bed side manner sucks.

There was a group on yahoo groups just for his patients called the BCbandits they would have more info if it is still going.

good luck with you band and take it easy post surgery

Heather

Hi paula I just wanted to know how your experience was with Dr. Leung, and how your life has changed since you had the surgery performed? Did you come across any complications? How have your eating habits been effected? Do you have difficulty eating any certain foods or with over eating? I have been struggling with my weight for the past 10 years..any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated! magirobson@hotmail.com

I'll answer you publicly as I am so proud.

Tis true that Dr Leung does not have the best bedside manner, but he has always shown me the utmost respect even when he was 'telling it like it is' as Dr Phil would say.

I followed his rules and have been a steady loser, which is probably one of the reasons I haven't gotten much guff from him. He has given me the same ol lectures he gives all his patients, eat only 1/2 teacup food, Protein first, veggies second, stay away from liquid calories. yadda, yadda.

I have seen him for ?? 5 or 6 fills. No serious complications. It was one of the easiest surgeries I have undergone. And I must say at the next meeting, I am going to physically hug him for what he has done for me. He changed my life.

I am at goal and have been for months. I go up and down about 5 pounds. I feel like a million bucks, I look like a million bucks and I have spent a million bucks replacing my wardrobe.

My eating habits have changed drastically. I must eat low carb, I must eat small amounts. That is how this band works. I am at a tight fill due to other health issues, so eating huge salads and large amounts of fruit and vegggies is just not possible. I make up for it by juicing and taking a liquid Vitamins.

I have a Protein shake every morning, I add 3 essential oils in it and I will have another if I am hungry at night. The Protein seems to satisfy me, and the chocolate flavour satisfies my sweet tooth. lunch is protein and fats and some kind of fruit or soft cooked veggie. Supper, I eat whatever I make for the family, only in tiny amounts. If I make spaghetti, I have the sauce with cheese. WE eat a lot of chicken. I feed my family only wholesome good, home cooked meals. ie: We don't eat out and we don't eat packaged or prepared foods. Some days my body will tollerate a few carbs and some days it won't. Every day is different. The band can be a fickle friend.

I hate eating out in restaurants. If we do, I never order a meal, or I order Soup or an appy. Some days I yearn to eat a whole hamburger or something like that. But the craving only lasts minutes and when I go put on my size 10 pants, I forget all about what I am missing in not being able to eat like I did 2 years ago.

Any questions, I am happy to answer.

Paula <---------- loves Dr. Leung

I'll try to post a picture of me at goal.

And BTW, I exercised my ass off. This didn't all come off with diet alone. I joined a gym, I did the Vancouver Sun Run training last year. I think you get out of the band what you put into it. And I figured that I paid good money for this, I will put my all into it, and it paid off.

Edited to add. I reread my post and I made myself sound like the model patient. I was not. I confess to a few Blizzards, Cookies, ice cream, sweets, but for the most part. It is true that I have been a consistent loser, hit a few plateaus, but exercise and a small fill always broke those.

OK, I will stop now.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how you are doing.

post-206191-1381313805041_thumb.jpg

Edited by Angel Eyes

I'll answer you publicly as I am so proud.

Tis true that Dr Leung does not have the best bedside manner, but he has always shown me the utmost respect even when he was 'telling it like it is' as Dr Phil would say.

I followed his rules and have been a steady loser, which is probably one of the reasons I haven't gotten much guff from him. He has given me the same ol lectures he gives all his patients, eat only 1/2 teacup food, Protein first, veggies second, stay away from liquid calories. yadda, yadda.

I have seen him for ?? 5 or 6 fills. No serious complications. It was one of the easiest surgeries I have undergone. And I must say at the next meeting, I am going to physically hug him for what he has done for me. He changed my life.

I am at goal and have been for months. I go up and down about 5 pounds. I feel like a million bucks, I look like a million bucks and I have spent a million bucks replacing my wardrobe.

My eating habits have changed drastically. I must eat low carb, I must eat small amounts. That is how this band works. I am at a tight fill due to other health issues, so eating huge salads and large amounts of fruit and vegggies is just not possible. I make up for it by juicing and taking a liquid Vitamins.

I have a Protein shake every morning, I add 3 essential oils in it and I will have another if I am hungry at night. The protein seems to satisfy me, and the chocolate flavour satisfies my sweet tooth. lunch is protein and fats and some kind of fruit or soft cooked veggie. Supper, I eat whatever I make for the family, only in tiny amounts. If I make spaghetti, I have the sauce with cheese. WE eat a lot of chicken. I feed my family only wholesome good, home cooked meals. ie: We don't eat out and we don't eat packaged or prepared foods. Some days my body will tollerate a few carbs and some days it won't. Every day is different. The band can be a fickle friend.

I hate eating out in restaurants. If we do, I never order a meal, or I order Soup or an appy. Some days I yearn to eat a whole hamburger or something like that. But the craving only lasts minutes and when I go put on my size 10 pants, I forget all about what I am missing in not being able to eat like I did 2 years ago.

Any questions, I am happy to answer.

Paula <---------- loves Dr. Leung

I'll try to post a picture of me at goal.

And BTW, I exercised my ass off. This didn't all come off with diet alone. I joined a gym, I did the Vancouver Sun Run training last year. I think you get out of the band what you put into it. And I figured that I paid good money for this, I will put my all into it, and it paid off.

Edited to add. I reread my post and I made myself sound like the model patient. I was not. I confess to a few Blizzards, Cookies, ice cream, sweets, but for the most part. It is true that I have been a consistent loser, hit a few plateaus, but exercise and a small fill always broke those.

OK, I will stop now.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how you are doing.

Paula,

you have done awesome congrats and you are so right it is so not all the band it is mostly you and what and how you do things and live your life and the choices you make.

Congrats you look fantastic!

Heather

Thanks for sharing your story Paula! I will meet Dr. Leung on Jan 26th! I'm pumped. I chose him specifically for the descriptions of his manner - I like to call it a good kick in the butt! I always respond well to that. :wink:

Seeing you drop that weight is fantastic. How much did you weigh to start? I'm excited about my up-coming meeting - any advice? Do you think I could bring my baby?:yikes:

An open question has anyone had lap band while caring for a baby - what kind of support should I get?

Cheers,

K

Thanks for sharing your story Paula! I will meet Dr. Leung on Jan 26th! I'm pumped. I chose him specifically for the descriptions of his manner - I like to call it a good kick in the butt! I always respond well to that. :wink:

Seeing you drop that weight is fantastic. How much did you weigh to start? I'm excited about my up-coming meeting - any advice? Do you think I could bring my baby?:yikes:

An open question has anyone had lap band while caring for a baby - what kind of support should I get?

Cheers,

K

I know there are plenty of people who have been banded to help get preggers but caring for a baby, mostly I would be prepared not to lift the baby if they weigh over ten lbs on your own for a few days (I would say weeks but I know that likelihood) The reason for this is that for about 2-3 weeks most docs say do not lift over 10lbs.. because you can give yourself a hernia and damage the already bruised muscles.

I would have someone prepared to do some shopping for you or at least load and unload the car and put things away. I would also have someone to help you out.. it depends on how you react to general and the surgery some people are fine some people need painkillers for weeks. Me I was great didn't take painkillers post leaving the hospital, drove from Toronto to Boston on day three no problems... but that was me you might be as good or not so good!

Heather

I went from a size 18 tight, to a nice 10, I am close to 6 ft tall. I lost just over 100 pounds. I did not lose it fast, just steady. The most and quickest weight you will lose with Dr L is the required 30 day clear liquid fast after surgery. The reason he insists on the fast is to let the band heal in place and to prevent slippage.

I made my own broth out of chicken and beef. I boiled veggies in there for flavour, strained it and froze it. I kind of sipped it all day long. I drank Clear liquids, I did not do Protein shakes as a milk product is not considered clear. This was by far the most difficult part of the journey, but also the most rewarding as a pound a day dropped off.

I went in for fills when my weight loss stopped and I could eat more than in previous weeks. He is very conservative with fills, again for reason of slippage.

Advice for when you meet him?

If you have questions, write them down, nod a lot. Agree with everything he says. ha! when I needed to complain or get empathy or ask questions, I came here to lapbandtalk or to his private board on yahoo.

He is not exactly patient with questions or almost seems annoyed when answering. BUT DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY. I think we women read into people's body language too much and take it personally. That is his manner, he is ESL, very thick Chinese accent. But now having had other surgeries since, I realize that many of the good surgeons, have little bed side manner.

I would try not to take your baby with you. Is there someone who could go with you and wait with baby in the waiting room?

Good luck my dear, this will be life changing.

I rarely come back to lapbandtalk. Your post must have 'called' me.

I am happy to report that at goal, weight isn't something I have to worry about anymore. I don't have to think about what am I going to wear, what am I going to eat, what social event can I get out of because I feel too fat and embarrassed to be seen.

I am focused on all of the other wonderful things in my life, my husband, my beautiful children, by wonderful life. But especially this beautiful body that has carried me through thick and thin. I now focus on what I can do to keep it healthy. Our body really is our our greatest gift in life. We must keep it well.

Edited by Angel Eyes

Thanks so much for your words of advice - see my husband is ESL and Asian, so i understand the sentiment behind that - its all good! I'm very excited. I may have to take my baby - if it is just a 20 minute long meeting she will be good. we'll see. I'm so glad my post called to you - I really needed that. Especially to hear how life changing it was for you. I'm getting the nervous - what if it doesn't work?? I'm paying for it - and I actually will be making substantial sacrafices for it. I'm a bit worries - but I'll just put it out into the world and home that those who need to will be "called"!

Cheers,

Kiley

I've also started to document my journey on youtube under the same user name, so please have a look at my videos - 4 so far! Will post a new one on Monday. I'm excited.