Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats Better Sleeve Or Ru En Y?

I find it very informative too. And I am thankful to learn from people who are going through this as well

:) me too!

When I went to an I formative seminar on all weight loss surgery options, the surgeon was so obviously pushing the RNY (his specialty) that it actually made look harder at all the others. He actually said " why would you go with anything but the RNY, it's the proven golden standard". Needless to say never go with a surgeon who is so obviously biased to one or the other. My surgeon was well educated and experienced with ALL procedures and was very involved in discussing the options of all. There are some people for whom the sleeve is not the best choice and the RNY is a better choice. A good doctor will explore all options depending on your health factors. I am 13 days post op and have had very little complications. This is not an EASY out no matter what the surgery. I just suggest doing your own research on anything you elect to have done to your body. Don't let anyone push you in one direction.

Good to know. Believe it or not all the people I know personally have all had RNY and love it.

I know several people who have had bypass. The average experience among them is that they love the early/initial weightloss, but do not love living with RNY long-term (I think they're all 6 - 8 or more years out, I don't think any of them are newly RNYed -- or Roux en Y). One of them is my "second mother" (just a good friend about my mother's age) and I can tell you that she does not look healthy. Her coloring is off, she's gaunt (despite gaining about 30 lbs back from what she initially lost), and she has lost 2 teeth related to malnutrition/vitamin deficiency. A few years ago she called me, unhappy, and basically said, "I'm just now starting to see the long term effects of living with this thing."

But to be fair, I'm sure there are people out as far - or farther - than she is who love it.

But that being said the only reason I would want that is because I've been told u lose weight faster and my dr has only done maybe 30 sleeves.

This is probably one of the scariest posts I have ever read on this forum. I truly am not trying to steer you toward one surgery or the other - different procedures are right for different people, and only you will know what's right for you. But please let me appeal to your sense of self-preservation:

You've basically just said the only reason you want a SERIOUS surgical procedure is because other people have told you that you lose weight faster. Not because you want surgery, or you've researched all options and think one is best for you over another, or feel confident that you can make ALL the necessary changes for a healthy lifestyle. Wow, I truly am reeling over that statement -- out of conern for you and your not-great filtering of data.

I'm going to suggest you forget what "other people" are telling you and do your own research. I could tell you that injecting bleach into your eye makes you lose weight faster than RNY or VSG, but that doesn't mean there's anything accurate about that statement, nor does it mean it's something you should consider doing just because someone told you it works.

The initial weight loss between RNY and VSG is about even. As a matter of fact, IIRC VSG is now about 4% ahead for initial weight loss (occuring within the first year). But let's say I just made that up, and you lose 200% faster with RNY. Does it matter, when you consider regain stats? If your goal as to be thinner for about a year, and then gain a lot more weight, then "faster weightloss" is probably a good motivator for RNY.

So it's scary to know hes not too experienced with the sleeve. I don't want to have the malabsorption issues but it seems more people lose weight faster with RNY also I am not interested in a lot of Hair loss. It's a tuff one.

Have you considered looking for a sleeve surgeon to do a sleeve, instead of using an RNY surgeon? They are different procedures, and unless you have some kind of unusual restriction - most people would seek out the surgeon skilled in their procedure of choice. Unless there's a reason why you have to use a particular surgeon, shop around.

Not interested in a lot of hair loss? Surprise - none of us were interested in it. It's certainly not like a motivating factor or fringe benefit. But it happens to just about everyone out there regardless of procedure. Did you realize that? Even the "harmless" lap-band. If you make the changes you will have to make for any WLS, you're at least 95% guaranteed to have hairloss.

Maybe I'm interpreting your messages incorrectly, but here's what I'm getting: I want whatever quick fix is the easiest

You really, really need to research life at 1, 2, 5 years post-op. Objectively read stories from people who are there. Research the stats (reading message boareds does not equal researching stats -- pull up medical journals and periodicals, look over complication charts and rates, even if you're just reading summaries read something, preferrably not from the internet). See what issues people are most frequently dealing with. Then compare the procedures. DO NOT make a decision based on "whatever will give me the fastest loss in the least amount of time". A decision like what might make you happy for a few months. Those better be really good months if you find you then start to regret making an uninformed or impulsive decision.

Procedure aside, just do it smart.

Hello :) Great job on doing your research and not just giving in to your surgeon (even if you do eventually chose the RNY).

I chose the sleeve because:

- no malabsorption

-simpler surgery=less complications

-no foreign object in my body (compared to band)

-great weight loss results

-options available to switch to RNY if for some reason the sleeve should fail

- long term health results of others who have had sleeves or their stomachs partially/completely removed due to other reasons (cancer, ulcers, trauma, etc)

My biggest problem with the RNY was the malabsorption aspect. Great for weight loss, horrible for nutrition. I was 20 when I was sleeved (21 now, 8 months out) and the last thing I wanted was to be tied to prescription and/or over the counter vitamins/supplements for the rest of my life. Plus, dumping?? Not my thing. (though some sleevers experience this as well, but it is much less frequent).

I have currently lost 120lbs. I never set a goal weight with my surgeon, so I don't know if I hit his goal or not. But I am only 5 lbs away from being in a "normal" weight range for my height... and I consider that successful! My personal goal is still about 25 away, but I am not worried about NOT hitting it. I am still losing consistently. I also have only recently added in exercise.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions :)

Congratulations Emily on your great success and taking this step early in your life instead of waiting so long like I did! You have lost a lot of weight and must feel great. You are an inspiration. I love coming across success stories like these. :)