Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did/will You Announce Your Surgery?

Thank you for all of your opinions and stories!

I've decided to be upfront and announce it on Facebook. I hope everyone will be understanding and a few of my friends might be considering the surgery themselves, so I want to be supportive of them as well. If there's any negativity, I'm going to ignore, although the people who usually comment on my Facebook posts are my close friends who are always supportive, so I don't think that will happen.

Thanks everyone!

I've been going back and forth about whether or not to tell people I'm getting weight loss surgery. I thought about posting it on Facebook, but I really don't want to give the impression that my body or my weight is a topic of discussion and if I post publicly about it, there's nothing from stopping people from treating it like that.

On the other hand, it seems silly not to say something upfront but wait until I start dropping serious amounts of weight and my friends and family noticing I'm suddenly 50 lbs slimmer before saying, "Oh yeah, I had surgery."

Thoughts?

I know exactly what you mean! Now that I've just had my sleeve (three days post op) I want to tell EVERYONE how good I feel! Also, some of my family members have been contemplating (and their doctors have suggested) having bariatric surgery, but they held off because of fear. I want to give them courage to do it if the only thing holding them back is nervousness over the procedure.

I don't want people to think I was capable of losing 100+ pounds alone all along and was just too lazy to do whatever the fad that week was.

In the end, there is no right answer. I may tell some people, but not others. If eventually word gets around, that's ok. I'm going to tell my dad after I've lost a bit of weight, and I'll tell my uncle who wants to do the surgery but is too nervous.

I have honestly been going back and forth about this myself as well. I know some people wont understand, and I really don't feel as if I should have to justify my choice to them. Last week I began telling people outside of my mother, husband, and a few others who helped make the choice. It is difficult. I can see that some are judging what I am doing and want to say something. Once person asked me "cant you just loose the weight" If it was that easy then I would have done it already. This is a tool to assist in loosing weight. Good luck to everyone trying to make the choice of who to tell, its not an easy one.

I've pretty much told anybody who will listen. As far as Facebook goes, no way will I put it on there. Everybody that I have told has a lot of questions but are supported and anxious to see the weight loss transformation.

This thread has been really useful and helped me prioritize my needs. I'm reminded that I am having this surgery because I have a major illness and weight loss will improve my health and quality of life. I have not been able to do this on my own, and can't afford to spend any more time not losing weight. I have nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about. That doesn't mean I want the world to know, just like I don't tell everyone I have lupus. Because of this conversation, I told my daughter today, and what did she say? "I'm really happy for you Mom". Thanks to everyone who has been processing on here and helping each other. What a wonderful community of people you are.

Nooooooo way!

If I successfully lose weight, I will happily tell people how I did it.

But before the fact... Absolutely not. Too many negative comments.

I lost my shame in my early 20's so I really don't care who knows.. hehe :) JK

Honestly, I only value the opinions of the people I love so when they supported me that is all that mattered. I added on FB today "one more week for the big day! Cant wait! Super Excited!" When the first person asked me what I meant, I told them exactly what I was doing. After that, everyone started to congratulate me. Those who have not (my husbands family) can suck it.. haha! Anyway, best of luck to all of you! And do what is best for YOU!

Veronica

Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories!

I posted about my surgery and got some positive comments. My sister's boyfriend also put me in contact with a friend of his who has had gastric bypass. So I've been talking to her about her experience. I feel kind of relieved that I got that off my chest. I've never been one for keeping secrets, so it's nice to know it's all out in the open.

Nooooooo way!

If I successfully lose weight, I will happily tell people how I did it.

But before the fact... Absolutely not. Too many negative comments.

I totally understand that. That is exactly how I used to feel. But I know with the people that are in my life at the moment (the people that knew), the word would get out.

I also know that if someone point blank asked me what I was doing to lose weight, I would feel like I was lying by omission. I am NOT saying that I think people are lying if they choose not to tell, I just have a really guilty conscious and I know if I were to be put on the spot, it would just come out of my mouth anyways.

I totally understand that. That is exactly how I used to feel. But I know with the people that are in my life at the moment (the people that knew)' date=' the word would get out.

I also know that if someone point blank asked me what I was doing to lose weight, I would feel like I was lying by omission. I am NOT saying that I think people are lying if they choose not to tell, I just have a really guilty conscious and I know if I were to be put on the spot, it would just come out of my mouth anyways.[/quote']

Exactly how I feel too. Every once in a while, I start thinking about telling , but change my mind. I don't want to explain the numerous ways simple diet and exercise has failed me. Everyone is on a need to know basis. My daughters ages 16 to 26 will know the day before.

Afterwards I might tell if someone asks , if I think they might be struggling with the same decision we are making for our selfs now. We'll see. Right now it's a private thing

BUT. I am not ashamed of this decision. I think it is the bravest thing I will ever do.