Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did/will You Announce Your Surgery?

I've been going back and forth about whether or not to tell people I'm getting weight loss surgery. I thought about posting it on Facebook, but I really don't want to give the impression that my body or my weight is a topic of discussion and if I post publicly about it, there's nothing from stopping people from treating it like that.

On the other hand, it seems silly not to say something upfront but wait until I start dropping serious amounts of weight and my friends and family noticing I'm suddenly 50 lbs slimmer before saying, "Oh yeah, I had surgery."

Thoughts?

I am going to just let my family see me. My parents know but I want everyone else just to see the results. I guess because I have been over weight all my life and done nothing but talk about getting better. When I come home from college for the holidays they can see me and then I will share. :)

I had a lot of problems with this too. Close family and friends, I made sure that they knew everything that was going on. I asked them to not speak publicly to their friends or family, and I just wanted to make sure I had a strong support system before I went into having WLS.

After the first few months of dropping weight, people obviously started to ask questions but at that point I was comfortable enough to explain what I did. I thought I would have to explain my reasons or argue with people, but honestly they could see how much happier and healthier I was. After loosing 200 pounds, most people don't really ask how I lost the weight, if they haven't seen me..all they can say is "WOW YOU LOOK GREAT CONGRATS!"

It's a personal choice, whatever YOU feel more comfortable doing.

I can see eventually saying something, but I'm pretty private and I don't like to draw attention to myself. I'm just planning to keep it on the down-low for the time being.

Only a select few know, I believe it is no one else's business.

My family knows that I am having surgery...I've told 4 people at work (that's including my boss)...and my close friends (my friends who I know will support me in anything I decide to do)

No plans to announce on Facebook, a select few already know because they are either family or close friends....but the others, well frankly its none of their business, I dont dig all in their stuff, they dont need to be in my stuff...

Of course they will notice when you post updated pics of yourself and stuff, and if some asks, I will be honest....to some....others, well like I said, its none of their business...

My weight yo-yo'd in my 20s and I gained about 30 extra pounds after a bad break up. I dropped that 30 plus an extra 15 one year, and everyone "accused" me of having a breast reduction -- since my weight goes straight to my boobs and then LEFT my boobs. It lasted a few weeks, then they finally shut up about it.

I have not told anyone but my husband and doctors about my surgery, and at this time do NOT plan on telling anyone. The fact is the surgery is just a tool that helped me lose the weight, but the actual LOSING I've been doing on my own my being diligent about changing eating habits and exercising daily. So I don't feel like a liar when they ask how I've done it and I say "diet and exercise" because it's the truth.

I know some people disagree and believe the only way to get rid of the stigma of surgery is to be proud of it and back it up. While I agree with this logic, I also believe that telling or not telling is a very personal matter. All of us came from different backgrounds and it's hard to say what applies to one should apply to all. Personally, I know I'd have those who support me and those who'd chose to judge me. I honestly would rather not know and do not feel prepared to have the relationships in my life shift for that reason. Maybe one day I'll change my mind, who knows? But for now, this is my choice.

People can be negative and they always want to give their opinion even if you didn't ask for it. I personally only told my mom and my sister and about a month after my seminar I told my bf. My mom and sis know that i'm in the process with all the pre-op exams but my bf thinks its just regular check-ups. God willingly the day before my surgery I will be telling my dad and bf. (i've been with my bf for 5 years and my dad although my parents split when I was younger, he's always been in my life).

They are the most important people right now. AFTER my surgery I will tell close friends and family or maybe not because once you tell one person it WILL spread around. I might just tell them I got on weight watchers, or tried sensa, or that fruit smoothie or hcg injections and once i've reached my GOAL WEIGHT i'll tell people who I feel should know.

Thank you to everyone who has responded. You've given me a lot to think about.

I told one person in my department, the one that can't keep a secret, so she could tell everybody my plans to have surgery. I'm not ashamed, they've seen me lose weight, gain weight, and so on and so forth. I put it out there that I'd tried everything else, and surgery was my last option. I've not heard a single negative comment, however, two other nurses came out of the closet with their plans to have WLS too. Another is seriously considering it after talking to us openly about it.

I don't care what anyone else thinks. I never have. I'm actually documenting every strip along the way on YouTube if u wanna check it out. it's www.YouTube.com/shesstrangelynormal

I'm only telling a select few as well. I am doing a 3 month pre-op lifestyle change with diet and exercise prior to my surgery. I am hopefully going to drop a few before the surgery. I may change my mind, but for now I don't feel like it's really anyone's business and if I loose 20-30 lbs. I don't want to hear "see you can do it, why do the surgery". The only family members I may tell (other than my husband and son) would be my Dad. Other than that I have told my 2 besties.

My immediate family, and some close friends know, and I told them that I am keeping it on the down low- not going to become a "poster child" for WLS. However, when I start dropping a lot of weight, if there are people that are sincerely wanting to know (possibly thinking about WLS themselves) then I'll be happy to talk about it, in order to share with them what helped me. But I feel the same way, I do not want my weight loss to be a topic of discussion on Facebook, or anywhere else, It's really nobodies business, but if they can be helped by me sharing my story, I will certainly share ;)

My plan is not to tell anyone. I hope to lose only about 50 pounds and then say to people I have stopped porking out so much and been working out a bit. My aunt lost like over 100 pounds, we used to call her miss piggy behind her back and one christmas she was normal weight with loose skin. no one had the balls to ask her but people did judge her behind her back. I just want people to think I am strong on my own and not to judge me. I don't even want to tell my husband, although I am sure he will find out, I just want to have surgery done before he knows so he can't stop me. I just hope insurance approves it.

I've been open and honest with everyone about having surgery. Everyone has been supportive and while there have been a few people to express concern (not negatively) I'm glad I'm sharing my journey. It helps keep me accountable and it's an exciting time for me. Frankly I don't care what anyone says so even if they did object oh well that's their issue, not mine :)

Good luck in whatever you decide!