Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't had my surgery yet but am wondering what psychological issues those of you who have had the surgery experience? I understand that a lot of people struggle with learning how to tell the difference between real, mental, and emotional hunger. What other issues does the surgery force you to deal with? What is it about the surgery that causes some insurance companies to require psych tests?

Head hunger has me in it's grasp. I'm going to go see a shrink about it next week that focuses on bariatric clients. I was a self pay, so I can't comment on the insurance requirements.

What is it about head hunger that bothers so many people? Is it the fact that it just can't be satisfied or is it something else? How have some of you learned to deal with mental and emotional hunger?

Personal observation: I think that most people who are obese (that's all of us pre-op, btw) have used food to cover up some problem rather than deal with the problem. It's just like they tell drunks that the problems will still be there once the drunk gets sober. Our problems are still there whether we're fat or skinny. Some people think that getting thin(ner) will solve their issues, but it doesn't. It just makes it so that we have to deal with those issues without the crutch of food to self-medicate. That's why crossover addictions (to drugs and/or alcohol) are so common.

IMO, one or two psyche visits probably aren't enough for most of us.

I am a stress eater and I found myself standing in front of the fridge crying and yelling at my dh at about 8 weeks post op. All I could do was laugh (since I told him I want to eat because of you and hate you right now that shut him up really fast) at myself as I didn't realize how I much I was self mutilating with food. You learn real fast after surgery what your triggers were/are. I have had to learn how to deal with this differently and also how I process things. I have found myself not caring as mush anymore about other people drama and things like that.

It just makes it so that we have to deal with those issues without the crutch of food to self-medicate.

Self-medicating is an interesting term to use for describing our relationship with food. If you don't mind sharing with us, what new ways other than food have you found to soothe your feelings since the surgery?

You learn real fast after surgery what your triggers were/are. I have had to learn how to deal with this differently and also how I process things. I have found myself not caring as mush anymore about other people drama and things like that.

I wouldn't have thought that caring less about other people's drama would be a consequence of the surgery...that's interesting. Is that because you feel more self confident now? how liberating that must be...

I am 2 weeks out and no issue yet. I don't even really think about food. Just getting my requirements in. I know this will not lways be the case. I try to think of myself as a recovering addict. There are certain foods that I will never again eat--white potatoes, white flour, rice and Pasta. I said goodbye to those old friends and while I know I will crave them I think knowing they are off limits for good is a good thing.

Personal observation: I think that most people who are obese (that's all of us pre-op, btw) have used food to cover up some problem rather than deal with the problem. It's just like they tell drunks that the problems will still be there once the drunk gets sober. Our problems are still there whether we're fat or skinny. Some people think that getting thin(ner) will solve their issues, but it doesn't. It just makes it so that we have to deal with those issues without the crutch of food to self-medicate. That's why crossover addictions (to drugs and/or alcohol) are so common.

IMO, one or two psyche visits probably aren't enough for most of us.

well said...

In a psych eval, they're looking for issues that can cause the person to fail. Some people get these WLS thinking that this is going to cure his/her eating problems forever where as we all know, it's just a tool to help us achieve a healthier life style. Some people, and a lot of us have done this, is to eat to self soothe. It's the same as self medicating with drugs. food helps us feel numb. The psych evaluation tells you where the person is and if he/she has the ability to process and/or learn new coping skills. Here is what I found on the web:

WHY DO I NEED A PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION FOR WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?

There are actually two reasons for the evaluation. The first is that it is a requirement based on guidelines established by the National Institute of Health for all patients before bariatric surgery can be offered. The second reason is that surgeons as well as the insurance companies also require it to ensure your health and safety. Weight Loss Surgery is a life altering procedure. As with any major surgery, weight loss surgery can have complications including death, and in the case of the gastric bypass procedure, it is irreversible. For these reasons, the decision to go forward with surgery should not be taken lightly.

An evaluation ensures that you are:

1. able to make such a decision

2. understand the consequences of your decision

3. have no underlying psychological conditions that would prohibit you from adhering to the life changes that are required following surgery.

Self-medicating is an interesting term to use for describing our relationship with food. If you don't mind sharing with us, what new ways other than food have you found to soothe your feelings since the surgery?

I'm LOL here Cleo. You must be new here. I've become a gym rat since surgery! I take everything out on the elliptical, weights or recumbent bike these days! :) My other addiction is this forum! :)

I thought that the doctors might be concerned that some people may just flip out or experience major anxiety after the surgery. However, dorrie's post seems to indicate that doctors are just trying to make sure that we are making educated decisions about having the surgery.

It seems as though some people on this forum get really depressed and/or have a difficult time emotionally right after the surgery and I was wondering why. Do you feel weak or vulnerable right after the surgery? what other kind of thoughts cause post surgery depression? or are those emotions due solely to hormonal fluctuations?

Personally, I have done well at 6 weeks, but it is a bit shocking and disappointing when eating a nice meal, and you kinda forget your sleeve and suddenly realize you can only eat a few small bites. Your head wants more, but nowhere to put it! But the slimming feeling is sooo worth those type of ugh moments! Planning helps-I get a go box and eat on it again, and again later on! Put down the fork between bites and talk, etc so you do not eat too fast, have it all kinda overfill your sleeve and then feel like you swallowed a golf ball. Your stomach is a skinny banana now, not a small football! The pros far outweigh the cons so far for me!

My problem is I have to get used to all the attention. I was used to being invisible and nonthreatning as a fat person. Now guys look at me like i'm a piecee of cake and want to flirt. EEEEEEWWWWWWWW I love my husband cause he loves me fat and small. In addition, once I hit my 60 lbs loss the complements are non stop. Now my gym wants to take a before and after to post in the gym. I'm good with food it's the attention that I have to get used to because I don't want to be a snob and not respond when someone pays me a complement.

I had a problem with a gym publishing an article @ me when I lost 128# several years ago (waaaay before being sleeved). I thought id be ok with it but the attention brought out the worst in me. I didn't gain it all back, but enuf to bring me to the point of being sleeved 6 mos ago.

Think it thru before you agree. Make sure you can take the attention...

I had a problem with a gym publishing an article @ me when I lost 128# several years ago (waaaay before being sleeved). I thought id be ok with it but the attention brought out the worst in me. I didn't gain it all back, but enuf to bring me to the point of being sleeved 6 mos ago.

What was it about the attention that influenced you to gain your weight back? Was it the pressure from the men or the jealousy of the women? Is it different now since you were sleeved?

I received attention when I was younger. I think the difficult part about it for me was that people expected more of me or overestimated me and my abilities simply because of my appearance. However, now that I am overweight, people tend to underestimate me and my abilities. Life for me is definitely less complicated now that I am overweight simply because people don't expect anything from me.