Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery @ The Washington Hospital Center...

Hi Everyone!

Has anyone had their surgery at the Washington Hospital Center? If so, I'm curious to find out what it was like. I've heard each doctor & facility is different regarding treatment. I'm more so concerned with: 1. whether or not you woke up with a tube down your throat; 2. What kind of pain medication were you given? I've heard of people being connected to a morphine pump or receiving pain meds via injection through the abdomen; and 3. What is the story with some sort of drainage tube I'm hearing of? Some people speak of it and others do not. What exactly is it and does everyone have that done?

Thanks for your help!

Most of these decisions will be made my your surgeon and not the hospital, so I'd recommend discussing this with him/her. My surgery was at Virginia Hospital Center (and they were awesome) and my doctor did not put me on any type of catheter for drainage or a tube down my throat. I was not given any pain medication after the day of surgery because of my sleep apnea, but the pain was manageable and got better each day.

You may very likely have a morphine pump. I was not given a pump but was given small amounts of morphine that first day. After surgery, you will physically not be able to pee for the first two days because of the anesthesia, that is why some doctors use the drain. I'm glad my doctor didn't.

Hi Everyone!

Has anyone had their surgery at the Washington Hospital Center? If so, I'm curious to find out what it was like. I've heard each doctor & facility is different regarding treatment. I'm more so concerned with: 1. whether or not you woke up with a tube down your throat; 2. What kind of pain medication were you given? I've heard of people being connected to a morphine pump or receiving pain meds via injection through the abdomen; and 3. What is the story with some sort of drainage tube I'm hearing of? Some people speak of it and others do not. What exactly is it and does everyone have that done?

Thanks for your help!

Dr Shoppe did my VSG @ WHC and he is AWESOME and his staff is the most caring gentle and caring group of medical professionals I have ever dealt with, I LOVE him..

1 You will not wake up with a tube down your throat, they put it in when your asleep and it is removed before you wake up, btw, everyone has a trach tube installed by anesthesia.

2 I was given morphine injections by needle when I mentioned pain but had to stop them due to nasea, the pain was easier to take.

3 I did not have any drainage tubes but I know some people that have, ask MRJgetssleeved about his.

Any more questions? Please ask I am happy to help

Thanks for the responses!

Dr Shoppe did my VSG @ WHC and he is AWESOME and his staff is the most caring gentle and caring group of medical professionals I have ever dealt with, I LOVE him..

1 You will not wake up with a tube down your throat, they put it in when your asleep and it is removed before you wake up, btw, everyone has a trach tube installed by anesthesia.

2 I was given morphine injections by needle when I mentioned pain but had to stop them due to nasea, the pain was easier to take.

3 I did not have any drainage tubes but I know some people that have, ask MRJgetssleeved about his.

Any more questions? Please ask I am happy to help

What is a trach tube? Sounds painful. Yikes :unsure: !!

What is a trach tube? Sounds painful. Yikes :unsure: !!

Anesthesia puts this in after you are asleep to keep you breathing, it does not hurt and will be out before you wake up. You may have a sore throat for a few hours, no fears all happiness.

Yesterday I hit the 150 lb loss since 3-21-12 VSG, I feel so good and had half a hot dog and a scoop of potato salad for the 4th celebration

Anesthesia puts this in after you are asleep to keep you breathing, it does not hurt and will be out before you wake up. You may have a sore throat for a few hours, no fears all happiness.

Yesterday I hit the 150 lb loss since 3-21-12 VSG, I feel so good and had half a hot dog and a scoop of potato salad for the 4th celebration

OMG That is AMAZING!!!! Congratulations :D . I'm so happy for you. Have you been doing a lot of exercise?

Don't tell Dr Shoppe but no very little exercise, just go to the pool when I can and eatting right, sometimes I still follow my pre-op diet to keep it moving, I still have a long way to go-about 250 lbs more to goal