Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op 7 Days And Still Have Terrible Pain In Chest.

Post Op 7 days and still have terrible pain (contraction) in my chest and upper stomach.

Is this pain ever going away and what the heck is causing it??!???! I've tried to be patient but darn it, this crap hurts!! Contracts even when I'm not swallowing.

I had this too. Mine was mostly after I took a drink (even small sips, but was worse with bigger sips). And DAMN was it painful. Sometimes I would wince so badly my husband would turn white, thinking he was about to take me to the hospital!

It went away after 7-8 days post-op for me. I think it was the swollen and raw stomach just "cramping" when anything hit it. Yours could even be reacting to any saliva you're swallowing (!).

If it continues on for much longer, contact your doctor for advice. If you're not satisfied with the answers you get, go to the emerg and tell them what's going on. They can run tests to make sure all is well with the sleeve.

Yes I thought that gas was it at first but I'm eating gas x strips all day. I'm thinking maybe I had more swelling than most. When they did my swallow at the hospital, it was hard for them to see the Fluid going down. My surgeon told me it was swollen but I just wonder when it will go down. I just wish the pain would stop. The best way to describe it is a labor contraction only in my chest and stomach instead of in the abdomen. I'm not a baby and I can surely take pain but this is crazy. I'm losing it!

I had this too. Mine was mostly after I took a drink (even small sips, but was worse with bigger sips). And DAMN was it painful. Sometimes I would wince so badly my husband would turn white, thinking he was about to take me to the hospital!

It went away after 7-8 days post-op for me. I think it was the swollen and raw stomach just "cramping" when anything hit it. Yours could even be reacting to any saliva you're swallowing (!).

If it continues on for much longer, contact your doctor for advice. If you're not satisfied with the answers you get, go to the emerg and tell them what's going on. They can run tests to make sure all is well with the sleeve.

I think you know exactly how I feel. This crap is painful. I will be 8 days post op tomorrow. It has slowed down some. I just hope it will gradually go away soon!! I'm supposed to be on full liquids this week and I'm hungry. I wish I could have something besides Clear Liquids.

I am 6 days post op and can say today that pain seems better. Large sips, sips taken to close and cold drinks made mine much worse it seems. I, like you, seem to have lots of swelling to the point I could only sip if I was standing and was still uncomfortable the first couple days. I hope it gets better for you soon.

I am 6 days post op and can say today that pain seems better. Large sips, sips taken to close and cold drinks made mine much worse it seems. I, like you, seem to have lots of swelling to the point I could only sip if I was standing and was still uncomfortable the first couple days. I hope it gets better for you soon.

Thank you Mely. I hope you are better as well! :)

I'm supposed to be on full liquids this week and I'm hungry. I wish I could have something besides Clear Liquids.< /p>

If you're allowed full liquids, you could try having a Protein shake. It will definitely make you less hungry. Take VERY VERY tiny sips. It will take you a long time to get through a whole shake, but you'll be less hungry and cranky. I started on Protein shakes a bit earlier than I was supposed to (allowed at 10 days post-op, but I started at 7 days post-op) because I had no energy.

I still had the pain for the first 2 days of shakes, but it was worth it! My energy went up, my hunger pangs diminished significantly and eventually the pain went away too.

Just a thought.....you know you're body best! If it hurts too much, or you react poorly......stop!

If you're allowed full liquids, you could try having a Protein shake. It will definitely make you less hungry. Take VERY VERY tiny sips. It will take you a long time to get through a whole shake, but you'll be less hungry and cranky. I started on Protein shakes a bit earlier than I was supposed to (allowed at 10 days post-op, but I started at 7 days post-op) because I had no energy.

I still had the pain for the first 2 days of shakes, but it was worth it! My energy went up, my hunger pangs diminished significantly and eventually the pain went away too.

Just a thought.....you know you're body best! If it hurts too much, or you react poorly......stop!

It is strange how surgeons differ. I've been allowed Protein Shakes 1st day after surgery. I thought that was strange. I haven't been able to get them in though. On my surgeon's diet we are supposed to have 1/2 cup protein three times a day. I've not been able to do that at all. It makes me sick to drink it. On the second stage we are allowed yogurt, grits, puddings SF and all clear liquids. I would love to have grits. Scared to try them though with this pain.

I had my surgery on May 22nd. I tried to make sure i didn't have any extra air when i was swallowing. I guess my regular way to swallow used a lot of air and it felt like my chest was ready to explode. Now I take Water or broth into my mounth and then exhale and then swallow. After I started this little trick, my chest pain went away. Although, I still stand to drink most fluids. This worked for me and I hope it works for you, too. I'm doing well, and getting in my Protein now without a problem. Well, I'm getting close to the 60 to 70 that my dr recommends - yesterday I had 53 grams. But every day gets a bit easier and I hope all the best for you, too.

Hello. Do you have a drain tube?

No I don't have a drain tube. I did however have a on Q pain pump that was threaded into the top of my stomach.