Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Awareness of food moving down???

Hi all,

I was banded 18 months ago and have been very happy with my progress, I have lost about 100 pounds, and have had minimal complications.

I do have a concern though, and while I plan to raise this with my doctor, I was hoping some of you may have some comments or thoughts:

* Discomfort while eating- I have not become "blocked" or had any sort of PB for at least a year. Nor do I get reflux or any major pain. However, about 8 times out of 10 when I eat something solid- even well-chewed, small amounts, I do "feel" it.. by this I mean I feel some slight discomfort in my chest.. usually only for a minute or less, there is no lasting pain. I am not even sure if I would call it discomfort- it is not really unpleasant, just somewhat strange- I am just aware of the progress of what I have just swallowed moving through me.. which just seems a bit disconcerting sometime. Sometimes it feels as if the food pauses, and then slips through- but it is generally higher up in my chest- is this an issue? I am not really bothered by it if it is normal, but I guess I worry if it is an issue with my oesphogus??? I guess I want to know- do others who have been banded eat without felling any sort of sensation in their throat or chest?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Manny

I feel discomfort in my chest when eating. It is usually with the first few bites, then it will subside. But that's as close as what you are saying. Don't know if it is the same thing.

Thnaks fo your response, it does sound similar, now that you mention it is usually the first few bites and then settles.

Does this bother you? Is it the sign of a problem or just part of being banded? I am fine if that is the case...

Manny

Yes I feel this. Quite often, its not painful, its simply a new bodily sensation to get used to. Some things are a little more uncomfortable than others to the point where I usually dont bother with them - cake, donuts, white bread. No great loss! I can eat them if I really want to but it does involve drinking coffee with them to wash them through in tiny tiny bites.

Manny,

I get the same feeling as you do but with me, It takes me about 10 min before I can continue to eat. Like you said, the food just pauses and then it's like the food is slowly sinking. Tonight it took me 40 min to eat because of this situation. I stop and wait to eat because i have the fear of vomitting. Like you said this all could be normal. I don't see my doc for another 2 weeks, but if you go before then please update us. Inquiring minds want to know. LOL Also, congrats on your wonderful weightloss, how amazing. You must feel great. Take care and good luck.

Its stress.

I know for me, that it isn't stress. I'm actually very happy and stress free. BUT I do know that the doc does say stress can be a factor with the band. I'm not filled yet, so even if I was stressed this wouldn't be a factor for me. I don't want to hijack your thread Manny, sorry. :phanvan

I know for me, that it isn't stress. I'm actually very happy and stress free. BUT I do know that the doc does say stress can be a factor with the band. I'm not filled yet, so even if I was stressed this wouldn't be a factor for me. I don't want to hijack your thread Manny, sorry. :phanvan

I said the same thing....stress comes in many forms. I am a happy person too...go with the flow. It took a visit to the ER and to a cardiologist to finally understand. (of course my comment isn't intended to blow off someone's symptoms...I was just giving a different perspective) Best Wishes!!

I have this feeling when I eat as well, but I have had it ever since I had the endoscopy before my surgery.

I don't know that I would necessarily, definitively call it stress. Not necessarily everyone has stress, and even if they do, this particular problem may not automatically be caused by stress. Many people have what is called "first bite syndrome". I know I do. When I first start to eat, things tended to not go down very well and I would have to wait awhile before I could begin to eat again. After doing research on this board, I learned that if I drink something hot just before eating, that does alleviate the problem. Try that and see if it works for you.

Seems this happens to me. It is usually the first food of the day that does this. I am not open until evening. If I am patient the food will finally start going and then I can go ahead and eat some of my meal.

Glad to hear it happens to others.:clap2: That makes me feel NORMAL I guess.

Kay

With the band, you definitely DO feel the food as it enters your pouch, as it sits there and as if moves through. As long as you're not having a problem spitting it back up or having excessive pain for long periods, this sounds perfectly normal. Your intake is much higher in the digestive tract. Pre-banding it moves through without restriction, then drops into the much larger stomach. This is no longer the case. You will feel it as it moves through the band if you have any restriction at all.

Wow! I thought I might be alone with this problem. Finding out I'm not, I'm a little relieved now.

Kayford, I too can't eat, except mush during the day. I'm hungry for supper, but still have to watch what I eat, and not fast. I've tried eating a couple bites of cottage cheese before the real food, and that seems to help. Water does not. Have to stretch the stoma before the real food can go through. Filled 3 weeks ago, and still on soft food, but about a cup at a time. Going for another fill next week. Gained 7 lbs last week. Not sure how. Do hope eventually that I can eat real food. This is a slow process and I get frustrated frequently. Also noticed that if I'm upset about anything no matter how little, it makes a BIG difference whether I can eat or not. Used to just ignore it and jam in the food, now I have to go without until I settle down. Sooooo different!

ofps

I bet the gained weight is due to higher calories in the mushy food. When I can't eat I resort to creamy Soups and yogurt and even ice cream (I can't believe I just confessed to that). I just can't live without eating something!! HAH!

I really think IF we can get the Protein down to satisfy us then we don't need to even try to get the more high caloric foods down.

It is so strange that they do not tell you this stuff at seminar. They really should tell you that you might not even be able to eat the first 2 meals of the day :hungry: OR @ least tell you that you might be drinking SLIMFAST with the band.

Take Care. I love chatting out here.

Kay in St. Jo Mo aka Kayford

Hi Susan,

I was previously mannyfromaus, now just Manny. Sorry it has taken so long, but wanted to say thanks for your advice, I have been having a quick hot drink prior to meals and this does help a lot.

Thanks again.