Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did You Or Are You Keeping Your Sleeve A Secret?

Its a personal decision, there is no right or wrong answer. You do what you feel is right.

I've told no one.

I didn't tell anyone except my PCP and the surgeon who removed my gallbladder. It's no one's business but mine. I only told 2 people I had my gallbladder removed. I'm just a private person.

I've told my close family members and some friends/close coworkers that I'm having WLS surgery in July. So far everyone I know has been super supportive and excited for me. I keep waiting for someone to ask me, why and I've gone over my spiel in my head, but I haven't had to use it. I've decided not to keep it a secret because I'm thinking it will be pretty obvious when I all-of-a-sudden start eating like a bird and losing weight. I've also decided that I don't care if someone says something negative to me because this is my life and the journey that I feel is right for me.

I am pre op and approaching my surgery weight but do not have a surgery date. I still go back and forth depending on the kind of day I'm having with my food plan. Once I have decided and get a firm surgery date I will tell my relatives who I hope will come stay with me for a few days. I feel a certain amount of embarrassment and shame having to go this route so have not told anyone else. It's only in my own mind that I fear friends won't be supportive. I guess I still have certain amount queasiness about giving away part of my stomach ;-/

I told my close friends and family. obviously 6 months down the road everyone will start thinkin something and I'll be honest but for now... I don't need anyone's opinions.. thankfully I did have to get my gallbladder out.. so the people from work just think I'm having gallbladder surgery

I guess I kinda pick n choose who knows about my surgery. Close friends n family are the only ones who really know. Someone I know asked me what I was doing to lose the weight and I just said working out. Lol..it's nobody's business if I don't want it to be!

I find I'm telling most people that I want to know, close friends, good colleagues etc etc. So far everyone has been awesome about it.

I didn't tell the horrible lady who said 'so, i guess your not on your diet anymore' when I had an egg sandwich for lunch *gasp* how dare I (I'm pre surgery)

but everyone else, yep- why not!

I don't feel that its worth keeping it as a secret and i'd feel terrible when word does get out (as if its not going to) if they think I did it thru diet and exercise only.

If I was me asking someone how they did it, and they said 'oh diet and exercise' and then I found out later they had the surgery, i'd be super cranky.

Also, If someone like me sees I'm getting results, I don't want them to compare themselves to me thinking diet and exercise alone - then not getting the results - cue downward spiral

Its not something to be ashamed of

I'm not doing a Facebook shout out or anything, but if people ask, I'm happy to tell them!

I've told my family, my close friends and 1 of my cousins. Not a big secret, but I'm not announcing it either. If someone asks, I'll tell them the truth.

I will. A while ago when I tried the Hcg drops' date=' people thought they were my physician. I didn't like that at all.[/quote']

Well I'm not ashamed of it because I've tried just about everything. It's just going to be my business because there's so many opinionated people out there who want to be right. I still believe in those drops but couldn't stick to the diet. I lost over 30lbs. But gained back even more because I didn't follow protocol. I don't want to give those people another thing to say about my dieting process... Lol.

I decided early on to be very open about it. I realized that I had a real mental issue with lying to myself and others around me when it came to my weight issues. I used to eat out at fast food places every night of the week. I would drive thru, order WAY more food than one person should eat, and then go park in a secluded spot where no one could see me. Then when I got home I would tell my family I had worked late or hit extra traffic. Once I hit that rock bottom point I decided that I needed to be open and honest if for no other reason than to help myself. I regretted it at first because a lot of people (outside my family and close friends) tried to play doctor and tell me all the reasons why I shouldn't do this. After awhile though those people got used to the idea. I post a weekly update on my blog and post that to Facebook. A few people comment but I've realized that there are a LOT of people reading and following my journey. I'm honest about the surgery to anyone who asks. It keeps ME honest and on track. You have to do what you think is right though, there is absolutely no right or wrong answer.

It is so interesting hearing everyones opinion, i do think it does depend on the person. I really think I am going to keep mine hush, not because I am ashamed( I know I can only lose the weight with this) but I don't want to hear everyones two cents...and I also know I need positive energy and I know that I could get lots of postivie but with that being said everyone is an expert these days...

That is very sad about the lady who didn't/couldn't tell her husband btw! I couldn't imagine not having even a single person to support me, esp. my hubbs! I couldn't do this without him!

Just wondering if anyone is keeping their sleeve a secret and how it worked out for them? I know you need a support system but I am only telling literally 2 people' date=' besides my hubbs of course! We live far away from family and only see them a few times a year so they will not be able to really support me in any way and i only have a few friends who see me on a regular basis. I just don't want to tell people i had to get surgery to lose weight and have to validate my reasons to them. Do you think its wrong?[/quote']

Not at al.... It is your body, your decision and really no one's business. I'm with you the only people who know about my sleeve (May 15, 2012) is my friend taking care of me and the doctors. That was my choice. Plus G od forbid I don't meet someone elses goals.....I will not have to explain myself. Take care, Buffy

I've only told my dad/step mom and my brother/sister-in-law since they are my neighbors (yes, we have the family "compound". My wife is actually a surgical RN and works with the doctor doing my surgery, might be a little tough to get that past her...haha. Like others, most will be supportive but not worth that one person who isn't....

Fortunately I have been sticking to a very strict diet over the last 2.5 months since getting in the program and I am down 35-40 lbs. My weight loss now will mask the effects of the surgery so quick weight loss post surgery will not really be noticed.