Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protien Shakes The Good The Bad The Ugly

OK Everyone out there---- We are all in the process of buying all the Protein Shakes on the market. Lets help each other and post what we have liked and tollerated well. I know I am always looking for suggestions.

LIKE - powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate Supreme

LIKE Pure Premium vanilla

Has anyone tried a non flavored one yet. Think I will order the Unjury unflavored.

Thanks all.

Continued success!

Only tried a couple, but here are mine.

Like - Premier chocolate (apparently they sell this at costco, I just tried a sample)

Like - EAS Advantage chocolate (got this from BJs)

Dislike - Premier Vanilla

With only one response it is easy to see that we all have different tastes! Keep the responses coming. Has anyone seen recipes to use with unflavored Protein so far? Just planning ahead :blink:

I haven't tried any unflavored ones but I heard the unjury one is pretty good. I actually like the premade GNC Lean shakes. They come in vanilla and strawberry and have 21g of Protein. It's one of the few Protein Shakes I can tolerate. I did try the Premier ones from costco and they are OK but not as good as the others.

Everybody is going to have different tastes and even after surgery your tastes may change. I used to be able to tolerate most Protein Shakes. Now I cannot stand most of them.

I'm currently using the vanilla flavored mix that Walmart sells. I've used up a chocolate and strawberry flavor. Walmart sells these for about $15 a container.

I was looking at the nutritional label this morning and noticed something I hadn't before. Each serving of the stuff has about 25% of daily cholesterol intake. If you mix it with skim milk, like I do, this adds more cholesterol. I thought whey Protein was a byproduct from plants. Of course this didn't make sense since it has cholesterol in it. I did some checking and discovered that whey Protein is a byproduct from cheese manufacturing. This is where it gets the cholesterol.

If I listed all the ones that I HAVEN'T been able to tolerate....holy moley, this would be a long list!

So far, things I can tolerate (and when I say that, I mean palatable to taste and tolerated by sleeve...most do one but not the other):

Syntha-6 chocolate

Dymatize chocolate Mint

Early-out, I like the EAS ready-made shakes. They were nice and thin, which felt more comfy with my healing sleeve. Also, they weren't overly sweet and they didn't have any of that chalkiness that some shakes have - very smooth. Their price was good too - cheaper than other RTD shakes on the market, so that was a bonus!

But now, the only Protein drinks I like (and by like I mean LOVE) is hot chocolate!! BariWise makes an awesome hot chocolate in variety of flavors. I like the cinnamon hot chocolate the best, but they are all good. 80 calories and 15 grams of Protein - seriouly good stats there! There is absolutely zero protein taste or aftertaste. It just tastes like awesome hot chocolate.< /p>

In the summer, I might get sick of the hot chocolate... but while the weather is still cool, it's such a nice treat. LOVE IT. (Downside, it is a bit expensive and you have to buy it online. I use diet direct, but I'm sure they sell it elsewhere too.)

I cannot stand any other Protein Drink. And I've tried them all. I've become really picky, I guess. :)

I've tried and like the injury strawberry flavored and pure Cookies and cream .

I tried the pure chocolate and it was really sweet to me . I think my sense of sugar is heightened after the surgery .

Also just tried the Syntrax nectar Fuzzy Navel flavor. Had it for lunch (as I just started my 2 week pre-op diet).

It was just okay.

I did mix it with milk, even though directions say Water, figured it would probably taste gross with Water. LOL

Favorites:

ProtiZyme whey Protein "Peanut Butter Cookie" Flavor (I let a few friends taste this and they LOVED)

ProtiZyme Whey Protein "Strawberries and Creme" Flavor

Tolerable:

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Unflavored (with broths/soups but be careful when mixing. Cannot go over temp of 130 degrees)

Premier chocolate

Nasty:

Premier vanilla

I saw another sleever make a good point though, what tastes delicious to some, tastes like barf to others. :) :)

On the more expensive side, I would say nectar strawberry is really good (though it's a little more expensive and doesn't mixes fizzy-like), but it's a high quality whey isolate as is Unjury. A good quality less expensive one that I've turned to lately is Body Fortress, which can usually be found at Wal-Mart as well as other places. I like their vanilla and it mixes well in blender with blueberries, strawberries, etc.

Oh, I just remembered another favorite of mine early-out. unjury chicken broth. (It's actually vegetarian!) I was sick of sweet, so it was nice to have something savory. High Protein, low calorie and did the job well those first weeks as I was recovery from surgery. Just as a warning, though it is high in sodium! So it won't do you any favors if you are retaining Water.

I know it isn't a Protein shake, but it's a nice alternative to Protein Shake when you can't stand to have any more "sweet"!

I love the Unjury chicken Broth!

I am pre-sleeved waiting on insurance approval.

I like the EAS Rich Dark chocolate, unjury chocolate splendor. I also like to take the unflavored Unjury and mix it with my EAS. This gives you more Protein and task pretty good. My nut suggested mixing the EAS and the unflavored Unjury. Sometime if I'm craving coffee or mocha, I will mix EAS, unflavored Unjury and a packet of Folgers Decaf single packs. I love these in the morning. I have also mixed Folgers Decaf with vanilla Unjury. Pretty good.

This morning I wanted to try something new. I tried the Chike banana. It's ok,but pretty sweet. I'm not crazy about the real sweet shakes. I have tried the Unjury chicken. It was ok. I think I will try to mix it with chicken broth to see how that tastes.