Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am Due On 15/05 Very Excited And Worried

Hi all I am due for the surgery on 15/05, need help with some things, I am a smoker should stop smoking within days, couldn't really imagine how will I do it. I am smoking 30-40 cig / day. Can I use the nicotine Patches or electronic cig instead, I am already panic and smoking is the only thing giving me relief but don't want to waste my journey coz of cig. Plz any help what to do. Thanks everybody

Probably the only way you can stop smoking is if you want to. It's up to you. You might talk with your surgeon about this. ;)

Amany194~ I do not have to tell you Smoking is a very unhealthy habit. You can do it....your family I am sure loves you and wants to have you around for many years to come. I am not a smoker, nor have I ever had that horrendous addiction (thank God), however, I am the daughter of a dead smoker and the wife of a former smoker.

Everytime I play with my grandchildren, when I have watched my children walk down the wedding isle, I think of my father and sometimes I am mad at him, because he was so selfish about his smoking and didn't quit, and in the end left me fatherless at the age of 21 (he was 54)....I feel deprived of a father till my golden years and my children and grandchildren are depirved as well. My husband quit smoking cold turkey, and this is so true he hibernated away for many months, I never knew why....one day I was filling out papers (we were fostering a young girl) and needed to know some specifics about cigarettes...I went down to ask the questions and he then told me he had not had a cigarette in 6 months....(7 yrs now without a smoke)...That I am proud of, as we want him around for the many years for my grandbabies and our children.

Now ...off my soap box....If you have made the big decision to have WLS....you are a strong brave woman...you can do it... Have you ever tried hypnosis? any bad habit can be curbed in 28 days (so they say). I am putting you in my prayers as I know you can do it ....

Good luck at no smoking and with the WLS

Gma of 4

Thanks gramad04. I really have strong will to quiet as I am diabetic and my dad died heart clot was 56 y.o( he never smoked or drink) but diabetic as well with strong family history of cardiovascular disease. Me as well has High cholesterol. I have a 6 years old daughter which I want to live longer to see her brawn up. I will think about the hypnosis, but I think I might need more stronger power so God is only one who can do this and give me the strength, so plz mention me in ur praying and I will start pray as well and I am sure God will hear us for the sack my little daughter. Thank u for ur support

Amany194~

I am in a continued prayer state with my Lord, as I spend hours with him each day...I am reading a book called "The Power of a prayerful wife" ....My hubby is in for it....if ya know what I mean, but I spend hours with the Lord and you are definately added to the list of ppl who need some extra TLC from Jesus....

God Bless You!

PS not...with all the $$$form cigarette purchases...look how many new clothes you can buy...

Thank u gramaof4. Ur words was a great relief for me I will start now and I am sure God will give me the strength with ur praying. God bless u and reward u for ur kind heart

yes, please quit smoking. My surgeon refuses to do the VSG on anyone who is still smoking because it almost garauntees that they won't heal correctly and will develop problems (leaks). Anyhow, smoking is stinky (you'll realize this acutely when you do quit) and it ages your skin and, oh yeah, it KILLS you !

I quit a pack a day habit 7 years ago and yes, I still want a stupid cigarette. It is a nefarious addiction. But, unlike a food addiction, we CAN survive without ever touching one of the nasty things again.

Be brave, ask your doctor for help, DO IT !

I stopped smoning prior to surgery and went 9 Weeks without a cigarette....then I picked one up when having a stressful day and one turned into smoking again....I am now dealing with the issue of tryinv to stop again! You can do it!!

My parents quit smoking quite successfully (dad still enjoys a cigar on their first fly fishing trip of the year). Mom had smoked since about 17, and dad since about 13, and they were about 45 when they finally quit. They're now upper mid-50s and still "clean." I don't remember how much they smoked, but it was more than a pack a day (each). I don't even know how many cigarettes are in a pack, so a guesstimate from me is worthless.

Dad said he had cravings for a few weeks. He would chew licorice ropes when they got bad. Mom says she never had a craving after her quit date (with Zyban IIRC you continue to smoke for some period of time while taking the meds, but have a date on which you're supposed to quit, once the medicine is established in your system).

All I know is that they tried everything - Patches, fake cigarettes that blew out Water vapor, cold turkey, step down programs, I think mom even tried hypnotherapy (desperation I guess). This was the only thing that ever worked for them.

http://www.gsk.com/products/prescription-medicines/zyban.htm (I'm assuming it's still available)

A former smoker myself, I know that it's possible - I haven't touched a cigarette in almost 6 years. I used chantix to quit. Not everyone can - but it worked wonders. I was also ready to quit. I had quit several times before - this time was permanent.

The biggest thing is to be ready. You can do it if you're ready. I was a 2 Pack a day smoker when I quit.

E-cig has helped many that have more of a hand addiction than nicotine as well - try everything g you can - your health is really depending on it - not just for the surgery, but your health in general as well.

Smartest thing I ever did was stop doing the dumbest thing I ever did.

I was a 15 year smoker too

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I use to be a smoker also quit when I was prego with my first. I didn't go back full time but would have a few here and there. but I can't even do that anymore as the smell makes me sick I also developed asthma 6 years ago so that put a stop to smoking also. My sister and I both have developed adult asthma and the dr's think it is due to our parents smoking in the house when we were kids. I would love to send my mother the bill every month ($105) for my asthma meds.

Thanks for everyone posted to support me. I am using now the nicotine Patches and the e cig as well when I am feel need the hand mouth craving. The doctor recommended as well valium twice a day to calm me down as I had to stop my antidepressant coz some side effects, which make hard to quite, as well as he gave me sleeping tablets as I used to wake up at night to smoke. It seems that this combinations working out. I can't say that it is easy I am struggling, but the doctor said within 2 weeks I will not need the Valium or the sleeping tablets and the carving will get better. I am doing all I can do. I added as well drinking lots if Water and chammomile, I keeping myself busy and I go for a walk and joined a quit smoking support group. I hope I can do it not only for the op but I aim that will be for ever. Plz keep praying for me. Thanks again

Amany

Good luck w/ everything! my surgeon requires people to stop smoking for at least 30 days before surgery. I'm glad your doctor is helping you somewhat. Just be careful with all those medications! Don't hesitate to keep coming here or going to local places for support!! :-)