Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling down, Need Support

I was banded on April 27th, and find myself not getting the support I need from my family or my doctor. My doctor refuses to fill me more than 1cc per visit. I have had three fills now and still no restriction. It is becoming more and more difficult not to eat whatever I won't because believe me I can. My family is steadily trying to feed me and not understnading that even though right now I can eat whatever I want, I'm trying not to. I have gained three pounds in the last week and am afraid I am going to be fighting an up-hill battle... I try to reaffirm myself and say you can do it, but its hard when I've failed so many times to lose weight. I feel like I'm going back into my old eating habits and patterns that got me to where I started i the first place. :help: HELP!!! :think :cry

...My doctor refuses to fill me more than 1cc per visit. I have had three fills now and still no restriction. It is becoming more and more difficult not to eat whatever I won't because believe me I can ... :help: HELP!!! :think :cry

First , congrats on your loss so far. Good For You!

But, we need some basic info Dimples.

You must have the Vanguard 10cc band, right?

But if so, and your doc is only giving you 1cc per fill - then you're only at 3cc's. That's kinda light after 3 1/2 months, so no wonder you are struggling not to eat too much. :hungry: You're not getting a chance to use your tool properly.

You might not feel any 'real' restriction until you get a few cc's more.

It does often take a few more fills to get to your sweet spot with the Vanguard band, so I guess I'm disappointed to hear your doctor is 'rationing' out your fills.

I would try talking very frankly to your doc and letting him know that you feel very underfilled and are definitely working but need more help.

As for your family, this is a bit tougher. I know that even years later, my family still doesn't fully understand how the band works or what I should or shouldn't eat. You can't change that entirely but you can gently remind them that 'you know I'm trying to make better food choices now.' That way, you aren't nagging them or complaining, you're just trying to make better decisions about what you eat. They mean well, so just be upbeat and very firm with them. Over time, when you get better restriction, it will be easy when they offer you seconds or pass the bread basket your way.

Thank you so much Jack, for your enlightenting points on my problem...

I am seeing this from a different persepctive... I have been trying really hard to be successful, I don't want to fail again... Let me re-phrase.. I WON'T fail again.... I WON'T give in to bad food choice.... I WILL tell my family that I'm trying to make better choice for me health and my life.

Newsho - Thanks for your support....Your right, I do need to be more frank with my doctor... I have been afraid to speak out about the problem with not haveing enough of a fill thinking..I guess he know what he's doing... Maybe he's being a little to cautious with me... I have another appt. this Thursday.. I will use this as my opportunity to be more assertive about my fills.

I just want to say that I have been a little shy about being on this website.. But I have found it to be not only informative, but even more supportive than my family and close friends. I want to thank you for that..

Dimples, I agree with telling your surgeon that you are totally feeling unrestricted. Please, be forthwright with him/her. There is no reason not to give you more, if needed.

You are doing well, with your weightloss, and there will be some setbacks during this finding-the-right-restriction-phase.

Keep your chin up. Shawn

Keep trucking girlfriend! You can do it! I have people at work that try to get me to eat and quite frankly, I think it is becuz they forgot I had the surgery. Just the other day we had a party at work with pizza, Pasta and salad. About 4 people came up to me trying to get me to eat. I just said, "no thanks, I brought my lunch".. sometimes if you don't make a big deal of it, they go away. lol Just remember that you are in control of what you eat, not them.. and if they are persistant, remove yourself from the location.. seriously.. we all made a huge step in our health and NO ONE is going to stop us!

Hugz,

DonnaMarie :biggrin1:

Dimples,

Congratulations on your amazing band success! It sounds to me like you need to take a minute and look at your signature. It has been 16 weeks since you were banded. Everything that I have read says to expect a 1-2 lb loss/week. You are averaging almost 3lbs/week. Coming from someone about to be banded, I think you are a great role model.

I hear your frustration, but don't look at this the same way we all have looked at every diet in the past. In the past you had really no chance to keep off the weight. With your band, you have a tool for life.

Keep working with your surgeon to maximize your band's potential.

Keep using these boards for your "extended family" support system.

Keep being a role model to us newbies, because you are doing great and we believe in you.

Good Luck!