Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious question I need answered

I really need some support. I'll try to make this as short as possible so you don't get cross eyed reading it.

1) banded April 13th 10cm/4cc

2) started out 217.5, lost 5 lbs before surgery then another 7-8 on liquid phase

3) haven't lost anymore (lost/gained a few lbs, but nothing that stays off)

4) have had 3 fills (1st-1cc, 2nd-2cc, 3rd-back up to 2cc)

My fill doc didn't even want to do last fill....wanted me to have barium swallow instead. I complained about feeling like things were stuck after a few bites and he told me that was me getting full. Well, needless to say, after asking about it on here I found out I have 1st bite syndrome and if I drink something warm before eating I'm perfectly ok. I'm going in for upper GI Monday to see what's going on.

My problem is, I can eat quite a bit. If I'm at my optimal fill, would I still be able to eat a lot? He told me to put my food on a small saucer and when I'm done STOP. Well, if it were that easy, I wouldn't have gotten banded. I don't get full off of this amount. If I do stop, I'm just looking for something else in an hour.

Questions

1) To those of you who have the 10 or 11 cm bands, what is your optimal fill if you're at your sweet spot? I just want an average.

2) If you're at your sweet spot, are you able to overeat?

3) Will there ever be a time that food is not on my mind because I'm not hungry anymore? I DO NOT feel like this is working for me.

and yes, I do exercise.......took a small break in the summer, but back at it now.....3 miles on elliptical 4 days a week and 1 hour of circuit training with weights 2-3 days a week.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately, the sweet spot is very individual. Currently, I have 2.9cc in my 4cc band and I'm properly restricted. Howerver, I've read where others have less than 2cc and are properly restricted.

My rule of thumb is this - - If I am hungry 2-3 hours after eating and/or I can eat more than 1/2 c. of food at one sitting, I am in need of a fill.

I hope this helps.

Hiya!

Have you thought about doing a journal to see the types of foods you are eating? Sometimes we eat foods that go thru the band really quick and that can slow weightloss and or stop it.. also, make sure you dont drink while you eat cuz you will make it go right thru.. That has been something that is very hard for me. I am a big drinker. I do take mini sips to cleanse the palate but I dont drink tons like I used to. Just a thought. I have found that when I slow down, chew well, and eat "fill me up" foods, I am full and full quicker..

Hope that helps some..

DonnaMarie :Banane27:

Hi Miper - I too share your struggles with feeling full, feeling like I'm eating too much etc. I've been banded since November of last year and it is a lifelong learning process (i believe). First I wanted to suggest you re think your feeling of full - I just finished Breakfast and as soon as I ate my last bite I wanted more, however, I got up did the dishes and am writing this and realize I am full. Full to me now means satisfied. Full pre banding meant stuffed to the gills. I am rarely full using my former description now cuz that means i'm almost sick. You are recently banded so you may need to work on this. Also I've never been one to eat 1/2 cup of food and be full, boy i wish i was and maybe i will get there - i struggle most days to keep my calories to 1200-1300. My doc suggests a proper fill is one that allows you to eat solids 3/day and eat 1/3 less than pre banding. So, maybe you need a fill or maybe not - Another bandster suggested we eat as little as possible to feel 'full/satisfied' rather than eating as much as we can stuff into that pouch so again it starts in the head and moves into the body. I admit it is HARD and I am still learning but you can do it. That is why they say the band is not a miracle cure but a tool -

I also agree the small plate is good idea - i bought a kids Dora plate that has a large section and two small sections. I put my meat and salad in the big section and eat that first, then I put a small (it's about 1/4 cup) of starch and maybe a desert or fruit in the other two and that is it. You'd be surprised how that might help. Good Luck. Mary

Mary has given good advice...so many of the lifestyle and behavior changes are ones that we have to make in our heads, so that tool we have can work better.

Just try making one change...and see how that plays out over time. Your exercise sounds great! Try to think of being "satisfied" not "full". Our "fullness" need has been distorted over time, which has contributed to our obesity.

Read all the responses and whatever idea strikes you as a good one, give it a try!

Good luck!

I think that Mary's suggestion about getting a childs plate that is divided into three sections is great. I think I am going to try that one. Thanks!

I have a 4 cc band and hubby has the larger band. I've lost weight easily and he is still having a hard time finding the "sweet spot" for him. He is in need of another fill as he has restriction at first shortly after the adjustment and then loses it.

Please know it is harder to find that right spot in the larger bands.

Best of luck to ya!

I have had two fills. I have found that I can eat about 1/2 cup of food at one sitting. At that point, I start to wonder if I have had enough (just thinking that thought alerts me that I should stop). When that happens, I (try to) put the food in another room and just visit with DH over the rest of his dinner. I promise myself that if I am still hungry in 20 minutes, I can have the rest of it. If I am eating out, I ask for a take-home container right then.

Am I able to overeat? You betcha'. But there are consequeces for that and they aren't pleasant. For me, my band is a gatekeeper and sometimes mean. If I leave my plate on the table, I will continue to pick at it and then I am in BIG trouble. Like you, stopping has always been my problem. That happened last Friday night. Couldn't eat anything for about 24 hours, although I was hungry. :(

So, IMO, when you achieve a good restriction, if you pay attention to your own *stop* signals, you will feel satisfied and stay satisfied for several hours, but you will have to find your own tricks to get past wanting to continue to eat. When the *hungries* do strike, try Water first before looking for a snack.

BTW - I am glad you found that you just have *first bite syndrome* and that warm liquids help.