Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Turbo Fire, P90X, 10 Minute Trainer Dilema

Hi guys!

Well it's been a month since my VSG, and I really want to start working out mainly for health reasons, so I want to start one set of the fitness dvd's from beachbody.com

But there is catch to it. I have had ACL surgery on my left knee, and due to negligence, I feel worst now than before the surgery. (doing a squat is a real painful challenge for me, and even swimming can be difficult). I had second opinions, and they all advice that the stronger my leg, the better for the future (and if i decide to have a second surgery, my body will be better prepared for managing the physical therapy after surgery). But it is difficult to become stronger if things like squats or leg extensions are really painful.

So I've done some research on these programs, and they all have its pros and cons for me:

Turbo fire has most of the routine modified by one of the girls for low impact (which I think it would be great) but I'm not sure if too much cardio would be OK due my calorie intake. What do you guys think? I really don't have many information on what would be too much for me.

P90X caught my attention as well because there is a person there also doing modified exercises, and I think it's wonderful for growing muscle. But there is lots of plyometrics and I'm not sure if there is a modified version for that.

10 minute trainer sounds like and overall body work out for toning and there is also cardio involved, but from the demos I've seen, I see that the girl does lunges, squats, and some jumping every now and then. And in this case, I'm not sure if there is a second person doing modified version of the exercise.

So have any of you tried any of these? do you know someone who has any type of knee injury and that still could get a good workout out of them regardless of doing the low impact exercises?

Any help or suggestion of these programs or even any other programs will be greatly appreciated!

Take care guys!

Anna

I wouldn't do P90X if you are only a month out AND have an injury.

Not familiar with the other programs.

Can you start doing little walks ,like 30minutes walk during the week? I think walking is a great exercise . PX90 is a great program but requires a lot of effort. And I saw they even lift weight heavily ,push ups etc. Maybe you can start slowly walking because your knee.

P90X is great but not for you in your situation. Start with walking and you need to do low impact if you have knee issues.

Anna, I'm 7 months out and have had 3 major knee injuries over the years. Lunges, squats and running are not for me yet, maybe never. I spend a lot of time on the exercise bike. It's low impact, but great cardio...and has the bonus of reshaping my legs and butt. I have independent verification from some male friends that it IS reshaping those areas.

I also do a lot of stretching, high rep/low weight weight lifting for my arms and legs and calisthenics (like we were doing in high school). I spend lots of time on core work for my abs and back and I use the pool for things like lunges and squats to reduce the impact on my knees.

Pre-surgery I was diagnosed with RA in my knees because of the previous injuries and I had a tough time even walinng. Now I don't have any symptoms of the RA and I walk without pain unless I've walked for several hours without a break.

IMO, things like P90X are better for those who are closer to goal than I am and I'm not willing to hurt my knees by running until I'm closer to 200. Right now I'm 260, so I have a few pounds to go until I am ready for the really intense stuff. But, you can get a good workout without doing the intense workouts, at least until your body is in better condition.

All those cardio exercises are tough. You need to go on Beachbody.com and do the fit test. You have to be able to do a lot of basic workouts. Push ups, pull ups, squats, wall sits, vertical jump of 3 inches. It's hard work, good luck.

I definitely recommend you DO NOT do P90X. I injured my knee doing it, and it took months to heal. It's really a great program for those without knee issues, but I think the plyometrics (which are core to the program) are too much for those with knee problems.

Can you start doing little walks ,like 30minutes walk during the week? I think walking is a great exercise . PX90 is a great program but requires a lot of effort. And I saw they even lift weight heavily ,push ups etc. Maybe you can start slowly walking because your knee.

you're right maybe I'm starting too high and walking would be great. But sometimes I get frustrated that I can't do the things I used to do before the injury :( but maybe walking with some good resistance training involved can do for me in the meantime, and perhaps that can help me build some muscle specially on my injured leg

I definitely recommend you DO NOT do P90X. I injured my knee doing it, and it took months to heal. It's really a great program for those without knee issues, but I think the plyometrics (which are core to the program) are too much for those with knee problems.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you're better now. Thank you for the feedback, so far from what I've read, that can be little too tough for me right now :S

Anna, I'm 7 months out and have had 3 major knee injuries over the years. Lunges, squats and running are not for me yet, maybe never. I spend a lot of time on the exercise bike. It's low impact, but great cardio...and has the bonus of reshaping my legs and butt. I have independent verification from some male friends that it IS reshaping those areas.

I also do a lot of stretching, high rep/low weight weight lifting for my arms and legs and calisthenics (like we were doing in high school). I spend lots of time on core work for my abs and back and I use the pool for things like lunges and squats to reduce the impact on my knees.

Pre-surgery I was diagnosed with RA in my knees because of the previous injuries and I had a tough time even walinng. Now I don't have any symptoms of the RA and I walk without pain unless I've walked for several hours without a break.

IMO, things like P90X are better for those who are closer to goal than I am and I'm not willing to hurt my knees by running until I'm closer to 200. Right now I'm 260, so I have a few pounds to go until I am ready for the really intense stuff. But, you can get a good workout without doing the intense workouts, at least until your body is in better condition.

I'm so glad for you that you found the right exercises that even helped you improve your RA. Some months ago, I tried bicycle, and it also hurt a lot, even with no resistance on it, but maybe like you and the rest of the members mentioned, I will be better off starting a walking routine combined with some resistance training. I know I might need another procedure, but it will be awesome if I can be in my best shape pre-surgery so my body can be prepared for the after Physical therapy. So the tips you mentioned like doing some resistance training underwater are great advice. Thank you!

Doing Supreme 90 day (like p90x)...today is day 9... I am 3 1/2 months out. I recommend this workout to anyone whose surgeon will approve it. You have got to push yourself. It is hard...I am so sore...but already see results. Always ask the surgeon before starting any exercise program.