Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking out! Spitting up blood?

Hi,

I just had my first fill on Monday. I drank liquid for 2 1/2 days then went back to stage 2 of my diet. I ate some Soup with chicken in it. After a couple of bites I felt pressure and vomited a few times.

I switched back to broth for 24 hours then went back to Soup (without chicken!) but it had some noodles. I took a couple of bites ... counted my chewing then felt sick again.

This time I spit up bright red blood but I felt like I was heaving?

Anyone had an experience like this?

Thanks!

I did call the doctors office. The receptionist told me that I should have gone back to liquid the first few days. I told her I did.

She told me she'd have the doctors assistant call me and to just stay on broth and Water for now.

Call your Dr and get a slight unfill. Your band is too tight.

Don't wait around for suggestions when you are PB'ing blood.

Call your Dr. and get in to see him asap.

Let us know how youre doing ok?

Ok, you posted that second post before I got my response posted to the first one. hehe

I'm glad you called. Your band is obviously too tight. The blood is most likely from the esophagus being irritated by the vomiting. Bless your heart. Make sure that Dr does a thorough check on your band when you're there.

Wow, that's scary. I haven't heard before that you could spit up blood from a tight fill! I would've FREAKED. See, this is what's good about this board...you learn something new every day! (If I spit up blood I'll still call somebody of course but at least now I wouldn't call 911 in a panic!!) Thanks for sharing and I hope things get better for you!

The times that I've read about folks spitting up blood (lapband folks that is) it usually is from too tight of a fill.

Get a slight unfill and you should feel better and heal! Take care, Shawn

You seriously need to get an unfill ASAP! My sister went throught he same thing and ended up having her band slip and then removed. Good luck.

What I was told by my doc when this happens is.....if it's bright red blood, then likely you busted a vein in your throat or esophagus when you PB'd and that will resolve itself with fluids for several days. If the blood is dark red or brown, get thee to the doctor IMMEDIATELY!!!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I had a episode today at a resturant, was eating felt like a elephant was sitting on my chest went to the bathroom and threw up now i get sick alot cause i try to eat to much to fastsomething i no i have to stop doing, anyhow I saw bright red blood, now i was eating ketchup, tomatoe sauce with my meal but see I have before and never saw it look like this. Anyhow I went back to my table tried to eat a bit more and got sick again but this time it was only food nothing red. I am figuring that if i was bleeding it wouldn't stop that fast. It sounds right about the breight color blood being from the eshpogus cause i work in a ER and i no that dark colored blood is an emergency.

Good luck to all

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I had my last fill in June and have been doing good, great restriction but still able to eat small portions until 2.5 weeks ago. I am having a hard time keeping Water down. I have not been able to keep clear broth or anything dow. Although the weight is coming off, I am worried that my band may slip if I keep bringing everything back up. No blood but I seem to slime a lot. Has anyone experience a tightening of their band after 3-4 months of doing great and not having another fill? I am so scared of erosion also. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I haven't had a fill for 3 months and for the past 3 days, I'm having trouble eating Proteins. It hurts so bad going thru that I've had to bring it back up. What really has me concerned is that when I drink one swallow, I feel the golf ball and it takes 20 minutes for the liquid to go through. I don't know if I'm just so irritated from the past few days that it causes the restriction to be so tight or not. It seems even before the past few days of eating troubles, I got really tight for no apparent reason. If this continues today, I'm just going to stay on liquids for a few days to see what happens.

Since you've had your fill for 3 months it doesn't probably require an unfill. I would stay on liquids for a few days and see if you can reduce the swelling. SOme drink a little aloe vera juice several times a day to help with the swelling.

Good luck

Do you know where to get the aloe vera juice? I'd like to try it. I still couldn't drink too well this morning, so I'm going to just try liquids today and tomorrow. I hope the swelling goes down quickly. This is the first complication I've had in 10 months.

Do you know where to get the aloe vera juice? I'd like to try it. I still couldn't drink too well this morning, so I'm going to just try liquids today and tomorrow. I hope the swelling goes down quickly. This is the first complication I've had in 10 months.

You can get that juice at any vitiamin store or even grocery store. It is pretty easy to find.

Hope things get better for you.:peep: