Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interested In Getting The Sleeve But People Are Scaring Me!

My name is Tiffany I am 24 years old... I have two little boys one is three and one is nine months....I have been overweight since I had my kids... I also had weight issues in middle school but lost alot of weight going into high school..... but now I have tried the diets and exercising but nothing is working!!!.... I am about 289 pounds.... and I do not want to keep gaining.... I want to be around for my kids and I want to have a good life!! I know if I keep the weight I wont be able to do everything I'd like because I am always tired.... I just went to a meeting or information session and I loved everything but then individuals I know are telling me alot of the people they know who have gotten this surgery later on are having mental issues.... or arent as fast or developed as they were... I do not know how to really explain what I mean....I know most of the other side effects and I'm willing to accept the risk of those in order to have a longer more healthy life... but I don't want to be slower or anything.... How does everyone like their sleeve? I'm sorry if I offend anyone... I'm just trying to find out what I am in for???

Mental issues? Like delirious joy as the weight finally comes off? ;)

I heard it all too. Everyone tried to talk me out of it. Many presented "convincing" arguments, usually not based on any sort of medical fact, but instead on hearsay. I did it anyways because it just felt right for some reason. I'm almost 2 weeks out and I'm already loving how much I don't ned to eat, how freed I feel frommy constant hunger. I wouldn't go back if you paid me!

Hi tiffany you and I are the same stats, please don't let anyone make your decision do the proper research and decide for yourself if you think it's best for you. Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

I tarted this journey at 280lbs, 5'7", and 27 years of age. I have 3 beautiful kids- oldest is nearly 9 and youngest was 10 months when I had surgery on Feb 6th 2012.

I'm still 5'7", still 27 years old, still have 3 beautiful kids, but now I'm 247.5lbs and I never could have made that happen on my own. Slowly but surely the scale creeps down and I know one day I'll be able to run at the playground with the kids without being winded, fit in the rides with them at the fair, and wear an outfit that is so sexy it will knock my husbands socks off.

I'm really "crazy" over this surgery. . . I'm so "euphoric" cause I've lost like 150 lbs and now I seem to be "normal". . . lol, mental issues, that is a quirk. . . no offense taken, but whoever told you about that must have several issues themselves. . . good luck to you!

I'm really "crazy" over this surgery. . . I'm so "euphoric" cause I've lost like 150 lbs and now I seem to be "normal". . . lol' date=' mental issues, that is a quirk. . . no offense taken, but whoever told you about that must have several issues themselves. . . good luck to you![/quote']

Amen to that!!!! Puhhhllleassee!! Having a portion of your stomach removed making you mentally slow? I'd even be embarrassed to pass on such information to you. Think of the lack of all logic in that. Hugs to you, hon!!

Do your research and you'll find no such thing, AND you'll feel better whatever you choose. I'm 6 days post op.

Oh, and I may be a lil crazy, but I assure you I've always been a lil crazy. Lol!!!!

Be careful if you read things such as there being a link to mental disability and obesity.... A link can simply mean that a significant portion of people with a mental disability tend to be obese. See.... People can read/misread info. all the time. You'll feel knowledgable and armed with facts when you talk to a surgeon, nutritionist, etc

You can read the forum we have in the research and statistics section called Gherlin and learning. I think in the past year we have completely covered the "surgery makes you slow" debate fairly well. Also, there are quite a number of people who develop depression after this surgery. This is best combated by starting to see a psychologist and continuing for a bit post op. Its hard to change habits that we have all spent a life time developing. There are often deep seated reasons we learned to react with food. Those issues could come up again when you no longer have food to comfort you. However, most of the people on here LOVE their sleeve. You will probably also find that the people on this site skew the statistics a bit because they have made sure they have a solid support system around them. This is extremely important. I chose not to tell my family members or too many other people because I don't want to answer questions or hear the crap that many uninformed people spew from their mouths. I did choose to tell a select few who were concerned at first, but when they realized I had done my homework, they are only supportive. Good luck to you on your decision making! You will find lots of good info and helpful people here.

well ...... i come from full mesomorph family and im the only one who inherited (the fat genes) from my mother side ., my point is me family love food so much and so am i , my calorie intake was over 7000 a day , so i was worried about how much i will miss food after surgery and how i would go through depression cuz of that , second part was my energy levels cuz i have been the kickboxing dojo champion for 2 years , i was afraid that i could lose that after surgery , ,,,, for now am almost 1 month post op and i really like how my brain is adapting for the new healthy eating habits ... don't get me wrong head hunger still there but its like 70% less than b4 and im hoping i will lose it all after months from now ... and for the energy levels .............. well yesterday i went with 1 on 1 with one of my overweight kickboxing friend i noticed that fighting with him was more difficult than b4 but i think the main reason for that is because i consume less than 1000 calories a day and he goes for over 4000 calories a day :) so u do the math :P,, but for 1 month post i think these results are pretty awesome .... u would be surprised how other things in your life well improve like for example ur sleeping will improve significantly ..... i mean b4 i lay my head on the pillow and i could wait for 2 hours till i fell asleep ..... , now i sleep like a pig :) .... plus losing 30 pounds in 1 month is always uplifting for the spirit :)

Hi tiffany you and I are the same stats' date=' please don't let anyone make your decision do the proper research and decide for yourself if you think it's best for you. Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?[/quote']

I am from Virginia what about you?

I am from Virginia what about you?

New York