Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Daus Post Op And Have Some Questions

Had my sleeve on Monday and was sent home Tuesday. So far recovery is coming along well but I have some questions maybe some people farther out can give me some advise on. The 64 ozs of Clear Liquids I am getting all of those but it seems like no matter how small of a drink I take its so uncomfortable going into my stomach. Is there any way to lessen that feeling. Also, does cold or warm liquids make a difference. I have not had the guts to try anything besides room temp Water and crystal light. Thanks everyone in advance e for any advise you can give this newbie lol.

I'm 7 days out today. I had the same thing you describe until day 6. Now I still get it but only if I swallow too much at once. I think it's just a recovery step. I did find that hot was MUCH easier, and soothing too since I've been freezing sice the surgery. I like my broth in a coffee mug, or hot tea. Hot juice is nice too sometimes. (Or that one time I drank Jello before it set up, because I was desparate, and hungry, but also hurting... not bad! ) Hang in there.

my new baby tummy LOVES warm/hot in the mornings and I can drink cold at night. It is painful to drink anything cooler than room temp for me in the am. Also my post op was 64ozs but split. NOt all Water they wanted half clear and half full (full being Protein Shakes, creamy soups) wtih full liquids starting between days 3-7. But start drinkable yogurt day 4. Also clear liquids were/are broth, Garorade, pedualite, apple juice watterd down, Protein water, popsicles. I am on day 18 post op. I was sleeved 3/12/12

try taking a little bit of pain meds when you get up...let that sit for a bit...then drink something...that is what i had to do the first few days till some swelling went down...then it was all downhill from there!

Thanks so much to everyone. I am going to try them ALL. would love to get some relief. Luckily I'm not hungry and right now food doesn't even smell or sound good lol. Ill count that as a blessing.

You got great advice. I just wanted to say feel better and it will get better hang in there.

I think that you are doing amazing at getting in your 64oz. I know that it took me a while post op to get close to that amount. I have heard that warm liquids have worked well for some but at that point I never tried any. I was just taking small sips and at time they were uncomfortable. I would say try and see if it is better for you. It certainly will not hurt you. Again congrats on getting your fluids in so close to your post op.

I'm two days out and yesterday I could barely get 12 oz down. Today I'm going much better. I've been farting, I couldn't at first, and that made a world of difference.

I'm two days out and yesterday I could barely get 12 oz down. Today I'm going much better. I've been farting, I couldn't at first, and that made a world of difference.

I was laughing so hard at that!!! I have NEVER farted in front of my husband- im kinda mortified at the thought!.... but im guessing thats all about to change!

It's really about to change! Because the air has no where to go. Yesterday I'd take a sip of something and if it didn't cause me to burp half way down then I'd get the hick ups, which were worse. But once I passed gas my entire life changed.

Well I've been burping some but I still feel full of air. Not painful anymore but almost like I feel a bubble when I drink, does that make sense to anyone else but me lol

Yup that's exactly what was happening to me. Keep moving around a lot. Take something with acetaminophen (antiinflammatory) or a stool softener to try and "open up" your intestines.

I was laughing so hard at that!!! I have NEVER farted in front of my husband- im kinda mortified at the thought!.... but im guessing thats all about to change!

snoho1,How long have you been married? farting is a natural body function...If you haven't done it in front of him while you're awake, you probably do in your sleep! LOL!!! We will be married 32 years & it happens all the time! And especially after this surgery. Just be careful though... LOL!!!

Ok next question ... about this jp drain. I have it till Tuesday when I go for post op checkup. It seems like barely anything has to be squeezed out. Maybe an ounce a day. Is that normal and whats it going to feel like when my doc takes it out? Just so I can be prepared

My drain was in for 4 days and it didn't hurt at all They had me take beep breath and pulled it out a little on each exhale. I just concentrated on my breathing. Maybe at most for me it stung a little in the end. I think my body felt better having it removed and out. sorta like taking an band aid off. how your skin feels like it breath after it is off. I hope this helps. I know of the other gals that day only one said it hurt when it was removed but she also had a hard time with everything even kneed/kicked the nurse when her IV was done.