Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op 2 weeks and having complications

Hello All, My mom had lap band surgery on July 19th and has not had a good recovery at all. I'm getting more and more concerned. She has a lot of swelling where the device was implanted. The swollen area is hard and her surgeon told her to put heat pads on it and palpatate it so the Fluid (probably blood) doesn't coagulate. That's impossible, because it's too painful to press on. We have an appointment tomorrow to see her surgeon, he plans on draining the fluid. My mom was at the very top of the age range for the surgery. She is not up walking around, she says the swollen area tugs, pulls, and radiates to her back. Has anyone heard of this before? Please respond.

Susie this sounds like a possible infection to me (I'm an infectious disease nurse) Is she running a fever? I had surgery the same day and all of my incisions are healed-a little pink but that's expected. In my humble opinion any complication like that needs to be checked asap. I'm not sure what he means about "fluid coagulating"-blood coagulates and she should not be bleeding at all. If there is Fluid there the body is having some kind of inflamatory reaction either infectious or allergic. Please have her checked. Do not take no for an answer from the office-show up there or go to her primary care provider and have them check it if they won't see you. I am not sore or swollen at all. I hope this helps and give her a big hug!!

no, she hasn't run a fever. She was, at first, very nauseated and had a lot of intermitten pain which she associated with gas. That has passed. She is on full liquids and has no pain after eating soups... It's just this swollen area... It affects her mobility and she can't get around or even lay down in bed. She's been in this recliner chair since I bought her home. She tried to get outside last weekend and fell, totally messed up her face, poor thing looks terrible. This area is right under an incision. It's not warm to the touch or looking inflamed- just raised and hard. We will see her surgeon tomorrow... I'm hoping, praying, he drains this things and she feels much better. Thanks for the response, but I must admit, I'm more concerned than ever now. Susie

Susie,

It's a very good sign that she's not running a fever and that the area isn't warm. Hopefully it's just a pocket of Fluid and he can drain it an she'll feel better. You might consider asking him to run a CBC (complete blood count) with a sedimentation rate. This will tell if there is any infectious process and/or inflammation going on and how much. This is a very basic blood test that can even be run in some doctor's offices, so again if the surgeon doesn't want to call her regular doctor and tell him your just kind of worried and would like it run and hopefully they'll do it for her. This test should be able to put your mind at ease if you don't feel better after her post-op visit tomorrow.

Good luck.

I had my surgery the same day I am doing very well and no swelling and my scaring is almost gone, Where did she have her surgery

I had my surgery on July 18. My scars are so well healed they are hardly visible. I have dropped 18 lbs. and have been feeling great. I'm 64 years old, so hardly a spring chicken. How horrible that your mom fell. That would definitely worry me. I certainly hope she finds a solution to her problem soon. Where was she banded if I can ask? I'm feeling great, so really can't be of any help, but certainly send out a prayer for her. How old is Mom?

Thank you for the responses. I thought I'd stop in and give you an update. Her doctor did drain the area (he got 9 or tem huge syringes full of yellow Fluid out). There was another area that was not liquified, he is planning on trying again next week. She did seem to brighten up after and was moving around a lot better after that. Mom slept in her bed for the first time a few days later, and the pressure of laying on her side made the area start leaking- ALL OVER THE PLACE! It was really disgusting and she, we both, freaked out. We called the doctor and went back in to see him the next day. He's concerned. He said if it doesn't stop leaking and look much better next week, he'll need to remove the port. He'd leave the band and tubing in- remove the port for a few months then reinsert it. The thought of more surgery scares me, but mom says shes in... She's invested this much this far... I like mom's surgeon very much. He's thoughtful and checks in on her often by phone. He's was the only surgeon willing to take on mom. She 60 years old and a revision from the intestinal bypass days of the 70's. We knew she was high risk, and she is having the complications that come along with that. I'm not however impressed with the facility he practices at. She had surgery the day of that awful storm here in St. Louis, the hospital's electricity went out for 10 hours AND the generator failed for about 15 minutes. Rain poured in around the window in her room, we had to move in the dark. It was bedlam, and our nurse did not handle it well. Very stressful. The thought of another stay there is an unpleasant one. I hesitate to name mom's surgeon, mom and I both feel he's very competent. I would hate for anyone to associate her condition with his skills in the OR or otherwise. This forum, I'm sure, is frequented by his patients and colleagues. Thanks again for your replies. Rebekah

Rebekah, I glad to hear she's a little better-a night in your own bed can do wonders! Just curious-did he give an explanation about why there is a Fluid collection there? You said yellow-was it clear or cloudy? Did he put her on antibiotics? I understand your reservations about more surgery.

(WARNING-I AM ABOUT TO STEP ON A VERY HIGH SOAPBOX-But I promise this comes from years of experience) I often hear from patients that their doctor is very nice and they don't want to bother him. I then point out that this is his job-I'm not saying that some don't go above and beyond but if I had a nickel for every time some one asked me a question about their care or asked me to explain what they just heard right after the doctor walked out of the room I'd be lounging on the beach in Jamaica right now.(ahh warm sun,blue Water,drink with umbrella- wait where was I-oh yeah soap box )

They always say "Well,he seemed busy,or I didn't want to bother him" This is what he does, why he went to school and most importantly why he gets paid the big bucks-When he took on your mom as a case he took responsibility for her care for better or worse. You would not go to a resturant and not ask the waitress for your food and still pay- that's why you're there. You wouldn't go to a mechanic and if he only fixed part of your car say well he was so polite or he seemed busy so I hate to bother him. (I promise I almost done-very cathartic though!!)

It's not my intention to imply he's not competent or that he doesn't care but part of medicine is opinion (hopefully very educated)but it's still an opinion. I guess if she were my mom I wouldn't hesitate to get a second opinion if you feel the slightest bit uncomfortable about her progress. And last but not least-Your mom is very lucky to have such a great daughter who is there for her through all this-I have a 15yr old who is contantly rolling her eyes at me so I'm hoping one day we can have conversations that don't end with "you just don't understand"

Best wishes-keep us updated.