Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pulling feeling? What is it?

I was banded on the 1st. I feel this awful pulling feeling on my left side. I am pretty sure this is where the port is, but has anyone else experienced this?

I am in alot of pain most of the time and can never get comfortable sitting, lying whatever..I didn't expect this much pain. I feel like a wimp.

I can't bend over because I feel like something will pull out. IS this normal the first week or something??

Thanks in advance...

You are not a wimp, you just had surgery...you will not feel 100% for weeks! I remember I was driving after a week, but it was gingerly...in other words, I could drive, but I was aware of how my body was moving and I was very careful. You need to be resting most of the time, broken up by frequent walks (not fitness walks, just around the house or up and down the driveway). Even laproscopic surgery causes bruising and swelling inside your body.

The pulling on your left side IS probably your port; mine is located on the left. You will always be aware of that port, even after it is healed, and that is going to take much longer than 5 days. After all, there is a silicone piece of equipment in there! LOL!

You should be going in for a one week check-up. Make sure your doctor shows you where your port is, and ask about the pain if you are still experiencing it...most of all, remember your body needs to be treated gently right now, inside and out, and YOU need to be patient with yourself. Calling yourself a wimp and trying to tough it out isn't going to help at all. Follow the doctor's discharge orders, rest, use a heating pad, lots of pillows to support you and move slowly....

Be patient, you're healing!

It will get better every day....good luck!

Cindy

Yes, you may have pain from the port side. I think it was a couple of months before I could even sleep on that side. My port still irritates me at times.

Use a heating pad. Walk. You have the after effects of anesethesia combined with a foreign object in your body. They also use some kind of gas during surgery that gave me should pain for weeks afterwards.

You just had major surgery. If your dr gave you pain medicine, take it. Good luck. Celeste

I have a low-profile port and just found it in the shower. It is on the right hand side below my bra line. It hurt for a few days after surgery but is fine for the most part. It was strange to feel this little thing inside me though....weird and now I keep touching the darned thing. I sleep on my side just fine, but I've been kind of weird in that I didn't get the gas; had little pain and only for a few days; so I'm not typical I don't think. It could be because I don't get much excercise because I had knee surgery one week before banding. I think perhaps some of you are much more active than me and probably feel the port pulling because of that. Good Luck.

Port pain, yup ! I had the surgery on 4/18, had the burning, tugging stabbing feeling off and on for weeks and maybe a month after surgery. Well, I mostly forget it is there now, however, I did a backwards somersault in the pool 2 days ago and I must have pulled the port scar tissue or had adhesions that tore, because I have been in agony since. My port has been sooooooooo sore and yet I can feel it starting to get a bit better. My own fault; yes I do forget I have had the surgery quite often and I goof with bending over on things and then feeling the port , ouch ! ect. It does get better with time and hopefully you will forget about it too. YEAY, minus 56 pounds now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My doc hands out an information sheet before surgery:

Left Sided Pain

"This type of pain is common after surgery. It is usually the result of the dissovolble stitch on your left side. This is also the side the surgeon does most of the work from. This pain may appear any time within 6 weeks of your surgery and is described as a "pulling, burning, stabbing" sensation. This is common pain that may radiate. It WILL resolve-it just takes time."

My advice-press a pillow to your tummy when getting up or walking. When getting up from laying down on your back, roll to your left, use your left arm to raise yourself. Don't use your tummy muscles.

Good luck!

hi,

I posted the same thing only yesterday! I am one week since I was banded too and I have the pulling feeling near my port on the left side. It happens after I eat and the Dr says it might be because the muscles are moving to digest the food, so it pulls. It does hurt though rather like a cramp...I am happy that I'm not alone but hope it stops soon.