Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One More Question About Calories...

According to the internet in order for me to maintain my current weight (133 lbs) I'd have to eat 1900 calories a day...I average around 1200 give or take....and my weight loss has slowed/stopped..so what's the deal??

Great question ...

I am in the same boat... definately in a calorie deficit and no scale or inch movement... I will be watching this post. I am sure there is someone here with words os wisdom!

Are you tracking your food including fat, calories and carbs? You might back off the carbs a bit and see if that helps. Also if you're not exercising much you'll need less calories to maintain.

Because numbers like that are usually based on statistics of averages, and we are anything but average! I would talk to your nutritionist and doctor, start logging your intake again, and examine your breakdown. Also, drink more fluids!

emlefe has hit the nail on the head - we are anything but average. One of the main reasons that we got fat in the first place is, that by a combination of genetics and environmental triggers, our metabolisms are more efficient than normal - we derive more energy from our food than normal people. There is also the hypothesis that those who have done a lot of yoyo-ing in their weight have further damaged their metabolisms. One of reasons why the DS works better long term on average than the other WLS is that it resets the metabolic rate back toward normal; with the VSG we have to adapt to maintaining ourselves at a lower metabolic rate and/or work to increase our metabolic rate by building muscle mass.

emlefe has hit the nail on the head - we are anything but average. One of the main reasons that we got fat in the first place is, that by a combination of genetics and environmental triggers, our metabolisms are more efficient than normal - we derive more energy from our food than normal people. There is also the hypothesis that those who have done a lot of yoyo-ing in their weight have further damaged their metabolisms. One of reasons why the DS works better long term on average than the other WLS is that it resets the metabolic rate back toward normal; with the VSG we have to adapt to maintaining ourselves at a lower metabolic rate and/or work to increase our metabolic rate by building muscle mass.

Hiya Rickym,

I understand completely what you say... makes sense to me. The only thing that bothers me about my stall of 3+mths and the metabolic rate thing is that I have a lot of muscle! I train hard and have great core strength now... also I've built up strong arms and legs(not butch like..lol... but if there was no or less fat on me I would be really lean)... I was hoping that, as you said, the muscle would sorta reboot my metabolic rate and burn the last pounds. Unfortunately that is not happening right now *sighs* I've tried all the tricks that I've read here and elsewhere but no movement... Perhaps this is me now? Any ideas? =]