Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-band weight loss

I just received my referral from my pcp, and yesterday I got information/forms to fill out, from the surgeon! As I read through the information, most of it I was already aware of, (thanks to the wonderful information I've gotton here!)

The one thing I'm curious about....and I must say, a little concerned about, is the required weight loss BEFORE surgery. I know that I will be seeing a nutritionist about this.....but I would love to hear from those of you that have already been through this:-)

I've tried to lose weight off and on for years. (If I could do it on my own, I wouldn't be considering the surgery). Are you put on a special "diet" before surgery to help you lose weight? If so, what kind?

Also, how long does it usually take to get from referral to surgery?

Any and all information would be extremely helpful!

Thanks,

Dee

My doctor wants me to lose 10-15 pounds. It's not a test(his words) but rather it helps shrink your liver. Which makes the surgery go easier and better. They understand that we can't lose weight long-term on our own, or we wouldn't be talking to them.

From what I've been reading, surgeons vary widely in what they require. If I don't lose enough on my own, two weeks before surgery I'll go on a liquid optifast-type diet.

How much you'll be asked to lose seems to vary a lot too.

According to the paper work from the surgeon, I'm supposed to lose 5% of my body weight, which is approximately 15-20 pounds. I'm worried that I can't lose that on my own. I'm sure the liquid opti-fast diet would help!

How long did it take from the time you got your referral until your surgery?

I'm probably not a good one to go by. I'm self-pay, so no insurance hoops, but I had to coordinate the time off from work. My surgeon consult was June 14th, I probably could have done the surgery with 2 weeks if not for deadlines.

I lost 17 lbs in 2 weeks.....but then again, all I ate was yougurt!!!! I was also allowed to have cottage cheese but I can't stand the stuff....so yougurt and more yougurt it was. Sure it worked...how could it not? Was it hard? You betcha! Worth it? Yup. Could I stick to it for life instead of having the surgery? NO WAY!!! LOL.....

I just started my dieting because of the amount of weight I have to lose. I was told to do Atkins which made me happy! If you follow Atkins correctly you will definetly lose weight. Then I have to do the liquid diet w/green salads for 6 days before my surgery. That is going to be a challange!

I just know that in order for this to happen I need to lose the weight,

and that seems to keep me on track.

Good Luck!

Thank you all for responding! I think I could do the yogurt...lol....at least for a few weeks, but not for life!

Reading through all the materials that my surgeon sent, it sounds like there are a lot of "hoops" to jump through before the surgeon will even agree to do the surgery. That's a good thing that they make sure you are prepared and don't just rush into surgery. I must say, though, it all seems a little confusing!

Can you all tell me a little about the process you went through from the time you got the referral to the time of surgery? Do you still see the nutritionist after surgery?

Thanks everyone!

Dee

Hi Dee......

I had 3 consults with the nutritionist before surgery (which will take place in two weeks exactly! Yay). I have a whole raft of them scheduled after surgery, too. You can get a lot of nutritional advice here on this forum, too.

My doctor required that I lose 5% of my body weight as someone said above, for liver size reduction. I lost about 7 lbs. on my own and started panicing, which caused me to start eating my head off. I decided that the best thing for me would be to go on "full liquids" (smoothies, slim fast, creamed or strained Soups - you can read more about that on the food threads here) for even more than the required two weeks prior to surgery. It's not that difficult and I've already lost another four pounds and it's only been 3 days. I'm not worried about losing the rest at all.

As for all the insurance hoop jumping, my insurance was a no-go..... I am self-pay, so I can't help you there.

Good luck with it all! There's a lot of info on this site, so keep lurking.

That's definitely a relief to know it's possible! Good luck with your surgery!

I know if I went on a liquid diet that I should lose the weight....however, it's not something I could do forever...lol

My surgeon recommended that I lose 10% of my body weight. I havent done that though. Two weeks before my surgery I go on medifast though. This is the only part of the surgery that is scaring me. I know everyone at work thinks I am gonna be a crabby beeotch!!

I did one week of Carnation Instant Breakfast and Water and lost 10 lbs. I wa sure sick of it when I finished :eek: but it was nice to have the 10 lbs. gone.

Hi, I don't know if this will help you or not. I was required to lose 30 lb presurgery. I said the exact same thing back in May, I think it was. If I could lose 30 lb, what am I doing here?

The surgeon had no bedside manner AT ALL. He said if you do not get to 350 lb by Aug 1 I will not operate, period. Do whatever you need to do. I'm not asking you to keep it off, just TAKE it off.

Well after much research on how to possibly lose weight rapidly, without pain or hunger I came to one conclusion: You cannot lose weight without hunger. You WILL experience physical hunger and head hunger. But it won't kill you. Your weight WILL kill you though. So I toughened up, forced myself on a VERY low fat, low carb under 1200 calorie diet for 3 weeks. I lost 20 lbs. Then I had to do liquid diet for 3 weeks. I lost slower because I was starving, literally, and now and then I would conscientiously cheat. I ate a few veggies from my vegetable beef Soup broth. I had a small amount of chicken salad with low sodium crackers one day. Then I'd do liquid for 3 more days until I'd conscientously cheat again. Bottomline: I weighed exactly 350 lb on Aug 1 and was banded without any problem.

I'm not endorsing the conscientious cheating idea, because I think if overeaters are told they CAN do that, they go way overboard. I was scared to death my liver wouldn't have shrunk enough so I never took on more than a couple hundred extra calories now and then just so I didn't go crazy. But starting my diet 6 weeks before surgery, then liquid 3 weeks before surgery, really helped.

I hope this helps. The most important idea is: you will be hungry presurgery but it won't kill you and it *is* temporary. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope this helps!

I just got the call from the Nutitionist at my Dr. office. She asked me my current weight and starting weight. Since I've already lost 9 lbs she said I don't have to do the liquid diet for 7 days. She said just stick to a low calorie (1000 cals) diet and drop a few more pounds that way! :clap2:

That was great news for me as that was a daunting prospect for me - being only on liquids pre-band for 7 days!

WHOOHOOO!!!! She suggested a low fat breakfast like Special K and low fat milk, a shake at lunch and 250 cals for dinner. Hot damn. I'm thrilled.

Then she warned me - some people lie about their start weight and have problems. Not a big deal for me since I know I'm not making it up - I just thought it was interesting that someone might lie about it....

I lost those 9 by following the "induction" phase of Atkins - limiting myself to 20 grams of carbs and only eating the allowed foods. Check out the Atkins website for more on that.

Thanks to everyone that has replied. It really helps to know that I'm not alone in this! I called my surgeon's office on Friday, because I had a couple questions before I sent in my paperwork. I spoke to one of the program coordinators and discussed the whole "pre-op weight loss" thing. Her response was, "Don't worry about it. We will work together to make sure the necessary weight comes off!" I told her, that if I could drop the weight by myself....I wouldn't be considering surgery...lol. She chuckled, (not at all sarcastically), and said, " we are aware of that...we are here to help!"

It certainly helps to know that other people have gone through the same fears....and have been successful!

Thank you, thank you, thank you...for all of your wonderful support:-)

Dee

LittleBird you are so lucky, cause I think we are being banded on the same day by Dr Ortiz and I have to start the liquid diet. I just booked my surgical date last tuesday which gave me 2 weeks to lose 15lbs. Dr Miranda said I have to lose 15lbs or my surgery would have to wait a week. Gee thanks that shouldn't be a problem since I'm flying from New Jersey:) I've so far lost about 8lbs on Atkins but I'm starving today with the liquid diet. I can't drink thick liquids (yes it's a weird food hang up that I have), I tried an Atkins drink and Isopure both without success. So I've so far consumed a half a cucumber and some unsweetened tea. I e-mailed Dr Miranda the nutritionist for some ideas but if anyone else could offer some suggestions I'd be very appreciative. I leave for TJ next tues 8/15 and have to lose 7lbs (did I mention that I'm due for Aunt Flo?)

Thanks for letting me vent,

Patti