Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking For Suggestions On What To Take With Me To The Hospital.

Hello All,

My surgery date is 02/29/2012 and my doctor said because of my sleep apnea I will most likely be in recovery for 2-4 days. This is my very first surgery and besides toiletries I am not sure what else I should take (like clothing), any suggestions.

Thanks

I was told to take, nitegown, housecoat, and very loose fitting jogging pants, with a loose shirt, also some pads, incase of an accident :o , i think i will just wear home a loose fitting dress, that way nothing will rub against the small incisions. gl, i am scheduled for march 8 2012..

There's an official what you will need thread under the pre-op forum with a pdf checklist.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/10081-the-official-what-you-will-need-for-your-gastric-sleeve-surgery-thread/

Definitely take a robe and pillow for coughing and the ride home to cushion your tummy.

Good luck!

Lip moisturizer and my pillow where the two things I could not do without. I wished I had brought a robe and my own Shampoo and conditioner.

Carbgrl thanks for link. I printed the list and will go from there.

Canadianprairiegal good luck with your surgery. Are you counting down the days? I know I am...lol

traceyc, I will make sure to pack some lip balm and my robe and slippers.

I was sleeved 10 days ago and I can tell you the following were life savers for me...

1. my personal pillow
  2. my beach bath towel - I use it to wrap up in after showers at home and it gave me some freedom from the gown while my IV was disconnected
  3. heating pad - helps with the pain more than you can imagine!
  4. chapstick - we went to a very dry climate in MX compared to the humidity of Houston
  5. slippers - the hospital supplied these (thankfully) and they came in handy when walking the halls
  6. flip flops - so convenient and you need convenience! If I didnt wear the slippers, I put my flipflops on to walk around.
  7. pajama pants - I was hooked to an IV for 3 days so my upper half was confined to the hospital gown but my lower half I was able to put these on and it made me feel more secure. I bought a pair that was 2x bigger than what I normally wear for comfort
  8. Loose fitting clothes to wear home - I gained 14# of IV fluids and NONE of my clothes fit me going home that I planned to wear! I ended up wearing the pajama pants and my husband's hoodie (no bra either) to the airport, etc...
  9. GasX strips - I brought them and used them but the gas pains are going to be there regardless... it was nice to have the mint flavor in my mouth when I couldnt drink anything for 24 hrs after surgery.

Pack lightly and in a rolling suitcase! Good luck!!! :)

I brought all kinds of stuff with me to the hospital and literally used none of it.

I had one pair of comfy clothes that I arrived in that I also wore when I left. I used my toothbrush and briefly used my laptop in between snoring from pain meds. :) That was seriously all I touched. They provide the lovely gown and socks and the high quality crystal light and Jello.

I didn't use much at all. Chapstick, gas x and my phone. I wore home the same thing I did there. I brought a hat too because I hate my hair a mess. I stayed in the gown and was glad I did because an stitch popped and bled everywhere. Loose pants and a sports bra were comfortable. Best wishes.

I didn't need much at all. But besides toiletries, I recommend your own pillow, lip balm, a hair scrunchie, some slippers and a robe and my husband surprised me with my favorite blanket. This definitely helped. And if your spouse is staying over night with you, some slippers for them too. When I couldn't sleep, I would walk and my husband would get up, slip on his slippers and walk with me.

It depends on how long your stay will be. I was there just overnight and they provided the slipper and robe. (A big terry cloth plus size robe that I still love.) The only things I used were my pillow, my toothbrush, my hairband and my sweat pants to wear home. The whole time I was there I was walking the halls, sleeping the drugs off, trying to get liquids down or listening to the Casey Anthony trial on tv. Good luck - I know you're getting excited!

Everyone's said it already but bring your pillow! My hospital gave me all the pillows I wanted but the ride home would have been hell without my pillow wrapped around my belly.

Chapstick was also a must, as was my cell phone and charger. I wish I would have brought my own towel. Other than that, I'd say pack light. I slept a lot so I didn't even touch my ipod or my book.

Good luck!