Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Were You Out Of Work

Hi all,

Just spoke with someone at the surgeons office who advised 8 days was all that was needed. I was quite confused as I have read some of you on the board take up to 5 weeks off of work!

I have a desk job but I am never at my desk. My office has an adjacent warehouse. I get in at 9:00am and my warehouse guys are calling me to come back there at 9:02am. I am back and forth checking shipments and doing physical inventory everyday. My commute is an hour drive each way.

And only one of my coworkers will know what kind of procedure Im really having.

So two questions folks:

How long did it take for you to actually feel up to working 9-5 again? And what were some of the excuses you gave for needing surgery?

3 days total,, Had surgery Monday and back to work Thursday - too chort, I didn't have any more vacation days.

I TOOK TWO WEEKS OFF CAUSE I HAD VACATION TIME I COULD OF GONE BACK PROBALY AFTER 4 I HAD NO PAIN AFTER A WEEK BUT IT WAS NICE HAVE THE XTRA WEEK I WOULD THINK 2 WEEKS WOULD GIVE YOU PLENTY OF TIME TO HEAL WITH NO COMPLICATIONS I WAS WALKING AROUND THENEIGHBORHOOD FROM FIRST DAY I GOT HOME

My surgeon recommended 3 weeks, but I put in for 2. Personally, I needed the 3. The first day I returned, I was burned out by noon. I came home that day and immediately got in the bed. The next day I stayed home. I had no energy. For the remainder of the week, I tried to just stay in my office. Each day I immediately got in the bed after coming home. The next week after was much better.

Everyone is different, so I would listen to your body. I didn't have any surgery complications, but I did have an ovarian cyst rupture and the period from hell (sorry to the fellas) within a few days of being sleeved. These things got in the way of my recovery. I am 5 weeks out and still dealing with extreme fatigue. This morning I got dizzy in the shower and had to come out and sit down for a few minutes before getting back in. I also work from 8:30 am - 8:00 pm so I don't get much rest during the week.

I would say to pay attention and not push yourself. Focus on fluids, Protein, and walking. Good luck to you!

I only took 8 days off. I had my surgery at 2:30 on a Wednesday, flew home on Sunday morning (a 6 hr flight) stayed home the following week (but went out of the house a few times) and then returned to work the following Monday. I was fine. I wasn't tired at all.

I am one of the lucky ones that gets 6 weeks for my surgery and recovery. Luckily my doctor was supportive of that and the additional time will give me the opportunity to adjust to the new life. I am 2 1/2 weeks out and jsut starting to feel like my old self again.

I find it time consumming to plan my meals to ennsure that I am getting my Protein in.

In the end, it is what works for you and how much time you can afford to take off.

Good luck to you!

My surgeon recommended 3 weeks, but I put in for 2. Personally, I needed the 3. The first day I returned, I was burned out by noon. I came home that day and immediately got in the bed. The next day I stayed home. I had no energy. For the remainder of the week, I tried to just stay in my office. Each day I immediately got in the bed after coming home. The next week after was much better.

Everyone is different, so I would listen to your body. I didn't have any surgery complications, but I did have an ovarian cyst rupture and the period from hell (sorry to the fellas) within a few days of being sleeved. These things got in the way of my recovery. I am 5 weeks out and still dealing with extreme fatigue. This morning I got dizzy in the shower and had to come out and sit down for a few minutes before getting back in. I also work from 8:30 am - 8:00 pm so I don't get much rest during the week.

I would say to pay attention and not push yourself. Focus on fluids, Protein, and walking. Good luck to you!

Geesh 12 hr. days?! Im not working that long ::side note you're so pretty and Go AGGIEZ::

I would say your job is more physical than being at a desk. I actually know where your coming from for have been in a similar position. I wait tables now at a busy restaurant and clean houses. I am taking off 4-6 weeks. I am 2 weeks out today and doing very well but can not imagine going back to work.

It strange, in my case I would say that I am recovering with none to few issues, but the lack in calories and the walking has brought me to a new place of fatique, that I was not experiencing last week as much. Also consider, your in an offiice, temperture controlled, then up and down in either a really hot warehouse or very cold. It is tolling on you. If you can take more than do it.

About what to say... I have not shared this with anyone but one person also (at the restaurant) I told my boss I had female issues and had to have surgery. When you put it like that most (especially men) rather not get into it. As far as my cleaning job I have well.... I hate to say it but I think I am going to lie and say that I had a full hysterectomy. She went through a partial one with me a few years ago and was considerate of how I felt but she is also judgemental and do not want to hear everytime I go to work about why would I do this and my loose skin.lol. She is tall, slender and never overeat in her life.

So I hope this helps. I only can say if you can go back and they are really supportive that you might not be able to do the in and out and any kind of lifting then I would say then atleast 2weeks.

Yes I think Im leaning towards taking 2 weeks of leave. Not sure if its worth going for short term disability though. And I think Im going to say Im having my gallbladder taken out if people really press. Everyone here is very nosey so Im sure they will. I hope my doctors note is discreet

I was going to say my gallbladder but my luck I will need my gallbladder out in the future, which is not uncommon for when you lose weight rather quickly, you are more seceptable to getting gallstones.

Something to ponder...

I took a few days off but I have a desk job and it wasn't a big deal - If you do go back to work before you're ready, make those guys do all the lifting! You have doctors orders to not lift anything. Make your employer abide by it.

I was going to say my gallbladder but my luck I will need my gallbladder out in the future, which is not uncommon for when you lose weight rather quickly, you are more seceptable to getting gallstones.

Something to ponder...

Something to ponder...

Oh I am pondering! big time! My mother had to have hers taken out as well. Ive heard it hurts more than child birth. I had a consult with a doc who said he puts his patients on gallstone meds for the first couple of months post op. Said it reduces your chances to <3%. My current doc refuses to prescribe them so Ill be on the hunt for a doc who will post op!

As far as my cleaning job I have well.... I hate to say it but I think I am going to lie and say that I had a full hysterectomy. She went through a partial one with me a few years ago and was considerate of how I felt but she is also judgemental and do not want to hear everytime I go to work about why would I do this and my loose skin.lol. She is tall, slender and never overeat in her life.

Lol.... What will you say when you start dropping pounds like crazy??

Im known in the office for always being on a diet! They always tease and say dont offer her any sweets she wont eat them. This time I guess they'll just think I finally found a diet that works! HAHAH