Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Larger Bougie Size For Exbandits

I saw my doctor yesterday for a surgery date and I asked him about bougie size he said he uses a 34 fr but wraps loose on exbandits so its more like a 38. He said it is to avoid leaks by not putting strain on the thickened scar tissue left by band removal

This really concerns me that the weightloss will be shitty. He said when I asked that his sleeve patients lose a bit then might go back up a bit where others lose and yet others maintain. I am confused with this, he says I need to maintain however I have gained over 20 kilos on my lowest band weight and hate it and would like to at minimum lose at least 10 of the excess gained. ( 20 was way too low)... so with a bougie this size on an exbandit is it possible.

Can anyone comment on the weightloss in this situation

The bougie size is just a guide,It doesn't determine the size of your stomach . I am an example of a 38 bougie size and look at my weight loss progress in less than 3 months :wink1: If I am you won't worry much about the bougie size, you will do great!!

Good luck !!!

Thanks Liliana... I am probably stressing too much but my doctor, though very good and a kind man is a little non commital so its hard to guage if he is posative or negative about a situation.

It worried me when I asked how weight loss is for bandits after sleeving and he said " some lose weight some bounce back and forth and others maintain, it depends" when I asked what he meant he said " its relative to each patient."

So to not look like a complete uneducated dummy I accepted his statement but I am still not completely clear on what he is saying... other than a shoulder shrug answer so as not to commit either way.

He feels I dont need to lose any weight but mearly maintain but since having the band removed I have gained 10 on the 10 I had gained towards the end of my band life making a total of 20 gained.... I personally would like to squeeze off ASAP at least 10 preferably 15 ( 20 is way too low for my face I look drained)

I am worried now that weight loss might not happen.... Hopefully after looking at your stats I am just being a pork chop and carrying on like a sooky la la.

I lost 70 kilos with the band and all I want is 10/15 with the sleeve then maintain...The whole exband thing seems to be the problem

It is relative to each patient. The best he could give you would be averages, and I don't think a lot of surgeons are yet tracking AGB - VSG revisions yet. It would be nice if he had some current data to give you. There are also a lot of variables. For example, length of time banded may play a role, as does success while banded, and reasons for that success (e.g. did you actually change behaviors in a positive way, or did you just irp up everything you tried to shove down as though you were eating pre-op).

The statistics also vary for AGB -> VSG "all in one" procedures (removal and revision at the same time) compared to requiring a waiting period (so do the rates for complications).

My surgeon's statistics are currently about 80% EWL with a virgin sleeve. 70% - 80% EWL with his mandated waiting period between revision procedures. 60% - 75% EWL simultaneous procedures.

(Complication rates from simultaneous procedures to stayed procedures ran about 20% less, respectively).

I know it's been beat to death, but remember it really is a tool. Weight loss will happen if you work with your tool. Weight loss will not be automatic. Not with this procedure, anyway. :)

Thanks Wheetsin, I am more settled now and seeing a greater logic in the doctors words than I was before.

When I had my band I changed my lifestyle, ate healthy in small amounts and exercised by walking but not by flogging the gym (I would sustain walking but the gym I would find excuses not to do).

I am hoping that by applying those same principles I will have success for life with the sleeve. 80% as a statistical weightloss is pretty good I should think, and I would be greatly happy with it.

I do wonder where my resolve went once the band was removed. I question why I didnt keep up the diet etc...however in reality I suppose with reemergence of hunger and larger food portions all be it healthy ( ok there was a bit of junk in there too) gain would be inevitable unless I upped my exercise ( not gonna happen sorry).

So I figure its onward and upward ooooor sit down, shut up and suck up and continue to gain weight and go with out the sleeve.

Pretty sure its the sleeve and have a date of 27th March, for better or worse I am forging forward. With out this choice to me my future looks bleak and very pudgy.

The bougie size is just a guide,It doesn't determine the size of your stomach . I am an example of a 38 bougie size and look at my weight loss progress in less than 3 months ;) If I am you won't worry much about the bougie size, you will do great!!

Good luck !!!

wow! you are doing great. I had a 40 bougie, that's jus my surgeon's preference, but loss has been slow. I'm 4 wks out and down 16 lbs. I was wondering if you can give me any hints about how you are doing so well. do you exercise? and if so what kind? what do you eat? thanks

I had a 38, happy with things so far.

wow! you are doing great. I had a 40 bougie, that's jus my surgeon's preference, but loss has been slow. I'm 4 wks out and down 16 lbs. I was wondering if you can give me any hints about how you are doing so well. do you exercise? and if so what kind? what do you eat? thanks

Yes I do exercise 5 times a week , cardio at least 35-60 minute and weights

Every other day :) . Exercise has helped me out a lot .

I pretty much eat everything lol. I try to stick with Protein first ,

Low carbs no more than 40 g a day . Around 800 calories daily .

And I'm getting 60-70 g of Protein a day. As for Snacks ,

Lots of low fat cheese , tuna, fat free deli meats and low carb

Protein Bars . You can message me and add me as a friend on here if you have

Any other questions , I will be happy to help!!! :)

There are plenty of us band to sleeve revisions who got to goal and have been able to maintain. The difference between a 34 and a 38 is only about a tablespoon so I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

I had my revision all at once. I was just like you . I had gained some back from band problems but I lost it all during the post op diet.

I am very happy with the sleeve. It has stretched a normal amount over the past almost 3 years. I am sure it will not stretch anymore and I am very happy with the amount I am able to eat. I eat small portions of anything I want. My weightloss has been fairly easy to maintain, as long as I don't' eat a bunch of candy!

do you have reflux or indigestion oregon? I suffered dreadfully with it during the last year of my band... prior to and after removal I had none at all.

This is my greatest fear that I will get reflux again that meds wont help and I cant reverse tho op to stop it.

3 years is a good stretch of time with the sleeve so I am very interested to know how it all is this far out

You will do great! I have a 36 that is even bigger at the pyloris end. My doc said this lowers several problems... including reflux and keeping food down. Just use it and it will work for you.

wow that makes me so much more comfortable with my sleeve size. Using it as a tool is not a prob, after having the band for 4 years and woking it to get of 70 kilos (140lb) I am fairly confident I can get back the resolve to do the whole Protein first thing that worked for me.

I am releived to hear that this size will hopefully ward off the reflux situation. I have been trying to imagine living with the dreaded condition with no releif for the rest of my life and I was starting to second guess the sleeve.

Big hug for your reply

I still have to take a PPI. I did have horrible reflux problems wtih the band that would wake me up at night.

I tried to wean myself off the PPI but it did not work. I have cut down the doseage though and I have no problems with reflux now.

Feel free to ask me anything. You will love the sleeve. It's nothing like the band!

Oregon, Im happy to take a PPI if it wards off the reflux. When I had reflux with the band it didnt matter what brand or dose I was on I still had horrible reflux even with no fill.

This scared me terribly about the sleeve but if meds will help I am happy with that...just as long as I dont have to suffer it.

Today I went and purchased two T shirt nighties to wear in hospital... and I had this dread wash over me. I have nothing to compare the sleeve to but the band and I dread going back to the deprivation. I read on some sites that people can eat a cup and a half of food.... this is an aweflul lot ( have measured it) and its more than I can eat now comfortably with the band out and with the band in I could only handle about a half cup at best. So I am worried that I wont lose weight if I can squeeze down easily a cup and a half. Its all these crazy, crazy thoughts belting through my head.

It helps to talk to wonderful people like you who are kind enough to help. I thank you and the other ladies for giving much needed advice

also...how bad is the day after the op....so frightened of this I cant tell you how much it makes me shudder

Honestly, you will just not know for sure until you get your sleeve. Everyone is different one way or an other. I can eat a cup and a half.... of Soup or Protein drink... or sliders..... but if I use the sleeve right.... protein first,don't drink with meals, and when I want more bulk... I add veggies or low calorie stuff...I like a big salad.... it works.