Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Months Out From Sleeve, Struggling Just A Little.

I had surgery April 1, 2011 and I have struggled with Protein from the beginning. I have yet to find a protein supplement(drink, bar, anything) that doesn't turn my new tummy. I just plain can't choke them down. I know this is a major reason that I have lost a good bit of my hair...aside from the life changing surgery. I was just wondering how people are doing it? How do you manage to get your protein in?

milk, cheese, eggs, Beans, tofu, fish... I cant stomach Protein Drinks either. My doctor allows me to drink milk with sugar free choc Syrup five times a day.

The only Protein Shake I like are the ready to drink Atkins ones, they don't have that gross Protein taste. I like the flavors with coffee in them, the Cafe Caramel and Mocha Latte, and also the vanilla is good. I use them for sweet treats. The tubs of powder protein I have tried at different times, immediately post op and also this past wk, I still hate the protein taste in them. I like the pure protein Protein Bars, just the chocolate Peanut Butter ones.

Initially I got my Protein from premiere Protein Shakes. Now I get my protein mostly from food (steak, cheese, peanuts, etc). I just started working out and am starting to drink protein shakes again to increase my protein intake per my trainer.

I also am not in love with Protein shakes - either pre-made or the powder. I get most of my Protein through food -- chicken, fish, lean beef, cheese, Beans, etc. I also get smoothies from Jamba juice and add a protein boost to that. It's pretty flavorful so I don't taste the protein. I'm also learning to make smoothies at home and I add a scoop of protein to that. I don't find that I don't have much energy unless I get all my protein in.

good luck!

You didn't say what you like to eat. There's a lot of foods you can eat at 10months out that's high in Protein.

cottage cheese, Greek Yogurt, egg tuna or chicken salad, refried Beans and cheese are all really easy to eat.

I don't know anyone who doesn't like Premier Protein drinks from costco. There's 18 of them in the box though but if you save receipt, costco will take it back. Also, the Vitamin shoppe sells Pro pudding by Body tech. It comes in choc and vanilla and it's 25 grams of Protein and it's yummy pudding for only 145 calories and 4 carbs.

I tried dozens and dozens of Protein drinks until I found one I did like. I don't just make sweet shakes, either. I mix Protein (flavored or unflavored) with coffee, tea, juice, etc. I drink them warm or cold. I need the variety or I get sick of them. Honestly, I hardly know I'm drinking protein in my coffee or tea anymore.

I could not personally hit my protein goals (90+ grams a day) without shakes. I mix two scoops of protein into my morning coffee or tea and I'm more than halfway to my protein goals before lunch. It works for me. So my first recommendation would be to keep trying shakes. Vitalady does samples and I found that invaluable when I couldn't choke any of the shakes down in the early days. I just kept trying until I found things I like. These days I love Integrated supplements unflavored protein and the nectar Vanilla Bean Torte the best, but I've gone through several different brands in the last year and a half.

That said, you do have other options. Before I developed lactose intolerance my very favorite way to get protein was cottage cheese. tuna is fantastic, too. Actually, just about any fish is great. I can eat more of it per sitting and it's packed with protein. I still, at 19 months out, have trouble eating more than 2-3 oz. of dense protein in one sitting. I have to snack on Jerky and hardboiled eggs to keep my counts up.

Keep trying. Protein is important. I lost a lot of hair until I realized how deficient I was in this respect. It all came back once I got my act together.

~Cheri