Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I doing wrong?

Banded 12th April 2006. Lost 48lb. First band fill was 18th July. Lost further 6lb in 6 days, then 2 things happened. Moved on to solids and my period started. Have put on 4lbs - which remained after the period - and I can't stop eating. Getting concerned about the eating because I feel out of control again.

Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. 4lbs can be a matter of needing to poop. :(

It can take a while for your PMS Fluid retention to go away (for one), and for two - a change in diet can (turning a long story very short) make your body retain fluids. A lot of people experience a gain when they transition to solids, too. What's your fill level, current/capacity? Are yu eating, or eating when you're hungry? What types of foods are you eating?

The loss of 48 lbs. in 3 mo. would make me jump for joy. I would say you did everything right. It obviously took longer for you to move onto solids...all docs have varying opinions about that, but I applaud you for following orders and your great weight loss. It has probably slowed down a little because of being on the solids. I really don't have any suggestions for you, but wanted to let you know I think you have done great. Keep up the good work.

Probably going past my hunger point, then I'm ravenous and want something quick. Tonight that was bran flakes Cereal followed by 2 packets of crisps and 5 biscuits which I followed immediately with coffee because of the salt... this is the kind of food I haven't eaten since the pre-op diet!

Crisps = potato chips.

Thanks for the advice. I've just spoken with my weight loss mentor (I think we do things differently in the UK) and she agreed with all your comments.

Basically, I've been starving my body of nutrients resulting in very real cravings for instant energy. Clearly the result of poor food choices and falling into old diet habits (they didn't work then so why I expected them to work now I don't know).

They warned me that having the band would be like a baby learning to eat again - and they were right! It's tough having to unlearn/relearn what healthy eating means. But I'll do it.

Also sounds like you're getting by on nearly 100% carbs. Carbs don't do good things for your glycogen stores. Try upping your Protein. My program suggests 80% protein to 20% carbs. I have mixed success getting there, but it's a good starting point.

Okay, I have to ask...How do you all know all of this info on food? ?? I know that you learn as you go, but does everyone who has the surgery get diet info and perhaps a dietician? I just want to make sure that I absorb as much info from you all as I can so I will be successful for my banding!

Thanks so much! Patti

My doctor does have a dietician available to his clients...especially the first year following surgery.

Pattycake,

thanks for explaining crisps. For 4 months, people here have talked about crisps and I had no clue what they were talking about. Any other British phrases you can help me with? Celeste

The obvious food differences are:

Courgette = zuccini

Aubergine = eggplant

chips = fat french fries

Flat Parsley = Cilantro

and you have lots of different foods. I have no idea what swiss or provolene (?) cheese is, or egg substitute.

Also, the Brits talk about weight in stones instead of pounds. 1st = 14lbs. So my goal is to be 11st (154lbs)

I love Brits. I actually had a teacher ask me if I was raised in England because of the way I spell. I have a hard time dropping my E's and love to use that U. Don't know why... may be a carry over from a previous life or something..... :confused: I have a friend in England and we IM all the time. I think she reinforces my American ignorance.

Oh the colours, rumours, etc...