Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vsg/hiatal Hernia Repair-Question

During my surgery I also had a hiatal hernia repair, which I am wondering is why I am still having a hard time getting anything other than soft wet foods down. I absolutely cannot get any meat down. I tried last week and it started okay, but the more I tired, the less it worked. I've gone back to fish (shrimp work especially well) and mushies. Curious if anyone else had both done at the same time and noticed anything different going on during recovery? I also still get a wicked cramp in my side where they cut the muscle, when I walk on the treadmill. I gave it a week and then tried again on Tuesday night....still hurt. When I sit on my butt...I don't hurt at all. But I'm itching to exercise. Go figure.

i had the repair the same time as surgery and at first it was a little difficult to swallow but its much better now.. with the meats i found that i needed to take smaller bites, i didn't go to red meats right away, mainly stuck with chicken and fish.

But you are still early out so don't worry to much it will get better. my suggestion try smaller bites to start with, especially with the denser meats.

I am 12 weeks out and i had both done. I still have issues with meats and breads are a no-no for me. I can eat all meats as long as i take tiny bites and chew like mad before I swallow! It also takes me a very long time to eat meats because I have to give myself a few minutes in between bites. I will get horrendous left shoulder pain I'd I eat too much or too fast.

I bought a cooking tagine that has really help making meats tender. There is a thread here on tagines and some recipes. Definitely a good investment for us sleevers!

Yup, same for me. I was on broths a week longer than suggested and mushies as well. I started eating canned tuna REALLY mushed up at 6 weeks and could only eat a bite or two. It was uncomfortable and I was afraid to move on. I did, though, so know it does get better. I am 7 months out yesterday and I can eat pretty much anything, but in real small quantities and I chew, chew, chew. meats are the toughest, for sure. Salads and sliders go right on in, no problem.

Same as PdxMan above. I had both done at the same time. I won't repeat everything said but I will say I am about 8 months out and I eat whatever I want. I mostly "choose" the right foods for nutrition and cal content. Red meat is still more difficult but then again it always was for me. Also, my quantities are small, between 1/4 cup and 1/2 at most. Dense Proteins = less amount that I can get down sense they fill me up immediately! i.e., red meat! Regarding the cramp on the side: I struggled with that for quite a while. I was doing alot better and one day I sneezed and bam! again with the pain. I believe it's the muscle that was cut that is healing. It gets WAY BETTER!!! Hang in there! In a short while you will not be able to feel any difference in your body.. other than the weight loss and low food consumption... but you'll feel great!!!!!! It just takes an adjustment.

I had a hernia repair too. I progressed through the stages at the right rate for my program (Kaiser Fremont), but I wasn't cleared for red meat till after week 6. I checked my food diary and at three weeks out I was eating greek yogurt, soymilk, Protein drinks, lunch meat, light cheese sticks, moist fish and moist chicken, and Anderson Split Pea Soup, and saltine crackers. I also ate a little tiny bit of fruit, but only melon on its own. Mixed with yogurt, I could eat a couple of strawberries. Early out, the acid in fruit bothered me.

Lynda