Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Home same day or overnight in hospital?

I'm puzzled about why some folks seem to go home the same day they're banded and others get kept overnight in the hospital. I've even been told that intensive care afterward is a possibility. I have sleep apnea, and they're very cautious. (Of course, I likely had sleep apnea with my other surgeries and did fine...) So what factors argue toward overnight in hospital? Is there anything I can do to get home same day?

You could just refuse to stay in the hospital, that is always an option (not recommended). You also can just ask your Dr. what their procedures are and let them know that you prefer to go home. i was in the hosp. for 3 days, i just got home today. But i had some issues that kept me there longer. Usually my Doc keeps his patients overnight for observation to make sure they can hold their fluids down and to see that they go peepee. This was my experience, i'm sure many others have had a different experience. Just like our pre-op diet and after care food plans.. Not all of our Dr's have the same plan.

I was told that the hospitalization would be overnight. I went to the hospital at 2 PM, was in surgery at 4 PM and was in my room at 8 PM. In the AM, I had an esphagram and then was seen by the surgeon and discharged at 11 AM.

In the hospital I was at, all lapbanding patients are observed on a telemetry floor for the night. My advice is to not rush things and follow whatever your surgeon thinks is best for you.

Yeah, I wouldn't leave against medical advice, but this variability among surgeons is puzzling. I wish there were standard criteria and when you meet them, you can go.

I got to the preop room at 3:00, my surgery was scheduled at 3:00, they did my preop work and at 3:30 I was in the surgery dept. I left there at 4:45 and went to recovery. I was there for longer because I requested a pain shot of deladid so I had to stay until 7:00. Went to my room at 7:00 and was released at 11:00 the next morning.

I think it all depends on the hour your band surgery was done, and if you have any serious co-morbidities, or complications from the surgery.

I stayed overnight because I had severe asthma, and they just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to have any trouble from the general.

My DH was in hospital for several days post-op because he had complications. He had alot of swelling, but he was also 600 pounds when he was banded. It took a couple of days for the swelling to go down enough to the point where he could swallow anything.

I depends on your surgeon's practice. My surgery center is not a hospital. You go in, get your surgery and a few hours later you go home or to a nearby hotel. My surgery was scheduled for 10 am. It was delayed, and I took longer in recovery than most, but still was home by 4 pm. The magic words from me were "What do I have to do go home?" I was out of there in 1/2 an hour.

But, I agree, for those that are in hospital for surgery, it would be nice to know ahead of time. Maybe asking or stating your preference would help?

My surgery was scheduled for something like 7:00 a.m. and I was out around 1:00 and went home. I'm sure it's just a matter of scheduling and common practice, and possibly a function of hospital openings as well. Where I am, I imagine there's a big push toward outpatient surgery since the area is so densely populated and hospital beds are so expensive. These things vary widely around the country, so these practices do too.

Medicare for one insists on you staying overnight. I think other insurance companies have different policies though. Good luck

I had mine done in Monterrey, Mx. one night in the hospital then to the hotel (a floor of the hospital) one night, home the next day.

Ask your Doc why he thinks you may need the ICU overnight, there were four of us the day I got my band and one lady went to the ICU overnight. She was a day behind us in the schedule above.

I was an overnighter and very glad I was because I was in so much pain during the first night that the nurse gave me morphine at 2am to help me sleep.< /p>

My surgeon asked me which I would prefer. Outpatient all the way...

Surgery was 10:30 - 11, if I remember correctly (things were kinda blurry) and my release was approved right around 1:30. But from what I was told I came around unusually fast in recovery, and had virtually no pain so they didn't have to keep me for... something they do if you're in pain. Got home and slept most of the night thru to late morning in my own home. Couldn't ask for better medicine than that. :(

Mine is home the same day. I'm self-pay, so I'm happy about that. Also, I really think I'll be more comfortable at home, hubby will be home with me for 5 days so I'll have someone to be sure I'm OK.

My surgeon does do some as overnight stays, depends on your health and insurance requirments.