Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Was Your Experience At Florence Hospital?

After reading a few of the posts about Hospital MI, I would like to hear any good/bad experiences at Florence Hospital. I plan to be sleeved there in March by Dr Kelly. Thanks :) DD

Hi DD, I had a good experience. Feel free to read about it on my profile, it's rather long and detailed. Good luck!!

:)

I had my surgery by Dr. Kelly at florence Hospital just last November, it's basically similar to any average U.S. hospital in terms of set-up and appearance. The care was excellent, and most of the nurses who visited me spoke English fairly well. My room had two comfortable beds, my own bathroom with a nice shower designed for post-surgery showering (handles, yay!).

There was an issue for me with one doctor on staff there, 10 minutes prior to my surgery she came in and told me Florence Hospital will not authorize a WLS on anyone under a BMI of 40, she told me this coldly and then proceeded to inquire "why didn't you just get liposuction? ", after that, Dr. Kelly advocated for me and I ultimately had my surgery. Everyone else there was lovely, that one female doctor (don't know her name, she was thin with short dark wavy hair) has no business interacting with patients in a hospital, the fact that she works at a hospital that treats terminally ill cancer patients is appalling.

Everyone else was kind and helpful, I was visited almost every hour and checked on- even in the middle of the night. I had a buzzer next to my bed, and every time I buzzed it I was tended to within less than a minute, even at 3 a.m.!

Florence Hospital is in a nicer area of TJ, right near the ocean. If you're doing really well, you can leave the grounds and look at the Water. I didn't try, my gas pain was a bit annoying and I'm prone to anxiety so the nurse gave me medication for it that made me a bit loopy/high. There is a small courtyard at the entry way you can walk around (this is essential for walking off the gas), it can feel a bit awkward moseying around aimlessly, but all the staff are used to it.

I had my surgery by Dr. Kelly at florence Hospital just last November, it's basically similar to any average U.S. hospital in terms of set-up and appearance. The care was excellent, and most of the nurses who visited me spoke English fairly well. My room had two comfortable beds, my own bathroom with a nice shower designed for post-surgery showering (handles, yay!).

There was an issue for me with one doctor on staff there, 10 minutes prior to my surgery she came in and told me Florence Hospital will not authorize a WLS on anyone under a BMI of 40, she told me this coldly and then proceeded to inquire "why didn't you just get liposuction? ", after that, Dr. Kelly advocated for me and I ultimately had my surgery. Everyone else there was lovely, that one female doctor (don't know her name, she was thin with short dark wavy hair) has no business interacting with patients in a hospital, the fact that she works at a hospital that treats terminally ill cancer patients is appalling.

Everyone else was kind and helpful, I was visited almost every hour and checked on- even in the middle of the night. I had a buzzer next to my bed, and every time I buzzed it I was tended to within less than a minute, even at 3 a.m.!

Florence Hospital is in a nicer area of TJ, right near the ocean. If you're doing really well, you can leave the grounds and look at the Water. I didn't try, my gas pain was a bit annoying and I'm prone to anxiety so the nurse gave me medication for it that made me a bit loopy/high. There is a small courtyard at the entry way you can walk around (this is essential for walking off the gas), it can feel a bit awkward moseying around aimlessly, but all the staff are used to it.

My BMI is below 40 also (36) and my sister's is 34. We are planning our surgeries together. We are sending in our paperwork this week. I really hope we can still use florence Hosp.

Is the florence hospital the "oasis of hope". If so, thats where i also had my surgery. It was nice enough, and the nurses were nice too. There was a cleaning person that came in a few times a day..... Rumor has it that if you're a low bmi'er you won't be having surgery there. There was myself, sirensiren and at least 2 other gals that had issues back in November at the hospital because we were low bmi'ers. Dr Kelly wasn't the one with the issue, it was other doctors there.

I think Oasis of Hope/Florence hospital has since corrected this major problem of them not "allowing" patients with a BMI of under 40 to go through with a procedure- in my case, I spent 2 months prior to surgery eating 1200 calories a day and I had a personal trainer- I was already looking good! :) But Dr. Kelly encouraged this healthy behavior, as it would only help my surgery, and he had verified paperwork from my pcp that I was indeed obese at the time I booked surgery. I was a BMI of 30-31 when they weighed me in at Oasis of Hope/Florence.

You should be fine, florence is a nice hospital and I was well taken care of.

While I'm glad to hear that florence Hospital is nice, I'm beginning to get a little disappointed with Trish from Dr. Kelly's office. I filled out the questionnaire that she sent, had one conversation with her after that and haven't heard back from her, and that was 5 days ago.

I told her that I would call her on Monday after having to look at my work schedule. I also mentioned that I may need a bill of services, etc... I emailed her twice, called, sent a text.. nothing... I am hoping that she is just busy, and there's nothing wrong.. But I can't help but feel that there may be a little disorganization going on there. :blush2:

Looking at maybe starting talks with Dr, Garcia...

I had my surgery @ Florence Hospital 12-28-2011 and have nothing but good things to say about the hospital, doctors and staff. I was on a floor with one other patient and we had two nurses and a hospitalist at all times. My room had a hospital bed and a double bed. I had a private bathroom also. Nothing fancy, but nice and clean. I had a great experience with Dr Kelly.

I did not use a coordinator, I went directly thru Dr Kelly. I paid $5500 directly to him by way of cashiers check. His e-mail is jrkelly45@hotmail.com.

My friends tried to dissuade me from going to Mexico alone, but I had absolutely zero problems. I was never afraid or felt threatened.

I was also a "low BMIer" and had no problems at the hospital. I was worried because of things I had read here but Dr Kelly must have gotten everything straightened out.

After two days in the hospital I had my leak test and then Dr Kelly himself checked me into the hotel Lucerna. The hotel was WONDERFUL!!! I only wish I had gone during warmer weather so I could have enjoyed the pool!!

If you have any questions about Dr Kelly or florence hospital just pm me and I will be happy to talk to you about my experience!

I'm at Florence/Oasis right now. I just got admitted this morning. It's small & clean and looks a little dated too. No biggie for me. Just laying here waiting for the rest of the pre-op tests. I went with Dr Kelly directly. I've heard that most of the coordinators are slow in responding because they all work for numerous doctors, so if you don't feel like waiting for a response, call him directly.

Oops, I forgot to say my BMI is 34

While I'm glad to hear that florence Hospital is nice, I'm beginning to get a little disappointed with Trish from Dr. Kelly's office. I filled out the questionnaire that she sent, had one conversation with her after that and haven't heard back from her, and that was 5 days ago.

I told her that I would call her on Monday after having to look at my work schedule. I also mentioned that I may need a bill of services, etc... I emailed her twice, called, sent a text.. nothing... I am hoping that she is just busy, and there's nothing wrong.. But I can't help but feel that there may be a little disorganization going on there. :blush2:

Looking at maybe starting talks with Dr, Garcia...

I email back and forth with Trish and speak with her when needed with no problem. I think she is very busy and thats probably why you havent heard back from her. Try her again before you decide to switch doctors, or just go through Dr. Kelly directly.

Thanks you guys! I think I will just go ahead and get in touch with Dr. Kelly directly!

I email back and forth with Trish and speak with her when needed with no problem. I think she is very busy and thats probably why you havent heard back from her. Try her again before you decide to switch doctors, or just go through Dr. Kelly directly.

And Delovelly... good luck my friend! I'm sure you are going to be just great! Please keep me posted on your surgery and beyond! :boxing_smiley:

Wow ... there really are no coincidences!!

No sooner than I emailed Dr. Kelly, but 10 minutes later Omar calls me from his office and says that Trish has been swamped! he gave me their direct email (the one I had was her personal email), and he said that Trish was on her way to the office. Any questions I had, i could always email at info@wls4life.com and they would be answered right away.

THEN, Trish calls from her car, saying she was headed to the office and would get a letter to me within the next 2 hours (after Dr. Kelly's surgery)!! I told her not to rush like that... It's okay :biggrin5: ...

Called my benefits people, they told me exactly what I needed for a withdrawal... I emailed Trish and Omar at the email address they gave me.. and we are off!!

Woo Hoo.. I know I don't have a date yet ... looking at the beginning of March... but i feel like I've gotten something started!!

Can't wait to join the losers club... Thanks again you guys... Loving this forum!

You wont be disappointed with dr. Kelly... Congratulations!