Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being Told By Everyone How Much Better Gastric Bypass Is ...

than sleeve gastrectomy. I got this from my surgical coordinator when I told her why I choose the sleeve: "Well, gastric bypass is the Cadillac of WLS and there are no long term studies for the sleeve ..." and then she went on about the pros of bypass.

Also from family - they thought bypass sounded better because it's reversible (who does that? Reverse a bypass I mean?).

To me the sleeve is far superior because you keep your own stomach, can take steroids, keep your stomach and valves, less chance of dumping, don't have a blob of unused stomach in your body, is restrictive and does not cause mal-absorbtion of nutrients, etc., etc.

I guess the weight loss is slower, but all the better for my skin. What is it with all the negativity?

I choose the sleeve (still pre op) because I didn't want my organs rearranged with the bypass and didn't want dumping syndrome. I originally went with lapband but that was before I knew about the sleeve. So many surgeons tried to shove gastric bypass down my throat, I actually walked out of an appointment and never went back because the PA put gastric instead of lapband because it'd be better for me. Ugh!

The new surgeon I'm with didnt shove anything down my throat, he educated me on my options. Told me most people go with lapband because they don't want the gastric but don't know about the sleeve which is in between the two.So... Made my decision, sleeve it is!

People used to tell me gastric because I'm over 300lbs but now that I'm doing sleeve and not lapband anymore people have been much more supportive and don't mention gastric anyone.

Gastric Bypass is not reversible.

Gastric bypass also often leads to nutritional deficiencies that can cause severe health complications.

While you may initially lose weight faster with bypass, in the long run bypass and VSG have the same results.

The hospital stay with VSG is shorter. You don't have dumping syndrome with VSG. With VSG you can eat more normally than with either bypass or lapband.

These are just a few of the reasons for choosing VSG over Bypass

I chose the sleeve for all the above reasons also. I have 2 friends that had the bypass and they are on liquid vits, and both gained the weight back by expanding the pouch. the sleeve is not reversible and does not stretch much at all as your remaining stomach is the heavy muscle part not the stretchy part.

I was on insulin, BP meds and cholesterol meds proir to the surgery and NOne, nada anymore. Only thing that scares me is a leak, but the bypass could leak also. Good luck on your journey!

I was originally going for the lapband. Being only 21, at the time, I wasn't sure I was ready to have a non-reversible surgery that drastically changed my insides the way the bypass and sleeve did. I didn't even consider the other two. But after doing a lot of my own research, watching videos on youtube, reading medical journals and articles, I ultimately changed my decision to the sleeve. Still would never consider the bypass. Why?

I don't like the high maintenance of the lapband. Having to go every so often to get a fill. If you get stressed, the band can feel too tight, so you have to get some of the Fluid taken out, even if you're a year out from surgery.

The band can slip, especially if you vomit, which I do easily since I most definitely don't have an Iron stomach.

Even though the sleeve removes a big portion of your stomach, I didn't like the idea of the bypass and how it rearranges your insides. Or how mal-absorbtion can become an issue and dumping syndrome is a pain.

While the bypass does typically result in faster weight loss, I knew the sleeve wasn't that far behind. It's faster than the lapband, at least. It's a good middle ground.

I get all the pros of the bypass, but hardly any of the cons.

I noticed when I went to various WLS seminar and personal consultations, over a period of several years, there are some who only do 1 or 2 things- bypass or lapband, and try to sell you on those (particularly lap band). One lap band Dr told me the lap band was so easy to do, he said a "monkey could do it". However, I found it interesting that all of the Drs I met that do the sleeve, have done the others. (In fact every surgeon who I met who does the sleeve has previously done and currently also does bypasses )and many have also done the DS operations. The only real negative I have heard about the sleeve, is the lack of data more than about 8-9 years out. Many of the Drs I spoke to feel that the sleeve will become the new "gold standard". I actually have waited a few years, since the sleeve was available in NJ/NY to see how the outcomes were and for my insurance to change its policies so it would not consider it experimental (and pay for it).

bypass IS in fact reversible. I know a few people that have had it reversed for medical reasons. One person had stomach cancer and had to have it reversed. Doctors don't like to reverse it, but they will. Another person I know had it reversed because she ate her pouch to a regular sized stomach. It was reversed, she healed then was given a sleeve.

People push what they know. Its no different than people having their favorite make of car. Its what they know, what they're used to. There is actually quite a bit of information regarding sleeve success, just not necessarily in this country. There's quite a bit of information on not having a procedure at all too :)

My doctor is so pro-sleeve it's almost crazy! He will not do bands anymore, at all, for any reason, and unless he has a patient who has a BMI over 50, he tries hard to talk them into getting the sleeve!

I had already decided on the sleeve before meeting with him and when I told him I wanted the sleeve he was actually surprised because a lot of people don't even know what it is. He asked me why I picked it and this is how I explained it to him:

To me, being fat is sort of like having a splinter. It's a problem that needs fixed or can lead to future issues. I see gastric bypass as cutting off your arm to remove a splinter- while I compare the sleeve to using a pair of tweezers to remove the splinter. Both will effectively get the splinter gone, but the tweezers just make more sense than an amputation. Plus, if your tweezers don't work and you get a horribly infected splinter that causes gangrene (or your sleeve doesn't work and you stay fat! :D ) you can always get an amputation later on. :)

So I believe in going small and working up. I started with various diets- they didn't work long term. I tried a nutritionist- didn't work long term. I tried a personal trainer- didn't work long term, then I decided on a minimally invasive surgery. Hopefully it will work (and statistics say that it will!) but if it doesn't, I can opt for the more invasive surgery!

I had the sleeve on 5-25-2011, I have lost over 100 lbs and about 14 lbs from goal. I can eat anything but only about 4 oz of it. I do not have the dumping or the malbsorbtion issues.

My sister had Gastric Bypass 6 years ago, it was considered successful weight loss surgery, she lost close to 100 lbs in about 1 month earlier than I did. For the most part, she has kept it off. The problem is her way of life after WLS. What she eats today might not make her dump, tomorrow it might. There is a long list of foods she can no longer eat. She is constantly having issues with malabsorbtion. Many foods make her sick and her way of life is not very good.

I chose not to rearrange my plumbing, nothing has changed with my sleeve except the 4 oz restriction. I do eat healthy now and exercise but my body works the same as it did before the surgery.

I don't believe the rny pouch stretches back to regular size...the stoma stretches and lets the food fall through or exit quickly and allows one to eat more quickly without feeling full.

My dad is a Doc so he went to my first appointment with me, the Surgeon wanted me to do the bypass because I so heavy, I said no thank you I want the sleeve. The funny thing is that my dad is like 'Paola, he's the doctor, he knows best', I just refuse to have my organs moved around more than necessary. So the Surgeon said he couldn't force me and that was that. I am very afraid of all the malabsorption, and the dumping.

In my opinion the most important part of both surgeries is that your stomach will be much smaller and you will eat less; therefore, why not go for the one that is a little easier on you and your body?

Paola, my surgeon said the same thing -- that I was too heavy for the sleeve. See, he does them mostly for cancer patients than for weight loss. He seems to think that without the threat of dumping, I will not lose all the weight.

Boy, am I ever going to prove him wrong.

I echo what the others have said - I simply didn't want something as drastic as a bypass and have my guts totally rearranged. The sleeve is simpler and in most cases just as effective.

Oh, and not everyone wants to drive a Cadillac, I'd just as soon "drive" something just as nice and costs a lot less.

I think some people with a higher starting BMI do need the extra help of the malabsorptive component of the gastric bypass. I do see a number of sleeve patients from my surgeon who are really struggling to continue to lose to their goal weights, and I wonder if they would have been better off with RNY. The sleeve has been great for me, though. Long-term, since the body adjusts and the malabsorption of calories declines, I think we can go toe to toe with the bypass patients. I'm also grateful not to be lactose intolerant (a common side effect of RNY), or to have to be afraid of the sugar content of all sorts of foods and Condiments (peanut butter? BBQ Sauce? ). However, the structure of the sleeve does make us more prone to problems with acid reflux, so it can be a poor choice for certain patients.

Honestly, I'd rather have had RNY than still be at my starting weight, but I'm glad I was able have the sleeve.

I don't believe the rny pouch stretches back to regular size...the stoma stretches and lets the food fall through or exit quickly and allows one to eat more quickly without feeling full.

RNY pouches do stretch over the years - its known to happen. It can stretch from overeating. This happened to someone I know very closely who has a severe food addiction. Any pouch, even sleeves can stretch from overeating. Because of the portion of the stomach left with a sleeve, its not going to stretch as easily as an RNY pouch, but they can stretch. I'm not quoting something I read off the internet, I'm actually talking about a real experience that actually happened. There are a lot of cases of people having an RNY and then having their pouch banded because of stretching as well. It does actually happen. I feel bad for her because she has so much negative energy in her family - her family is constantly throwing food at her - almost literally - knowing she has this problem. She's doing better with the sleeve because the food simply just won't fit. She is also in counseling and is learning to stand up for herself, which is a very good thing.