Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self-pay: Is It Worth It?

I made a medical withdrawal on my IRA. My surgery was 12,900 for everything and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I know I would have never lost the weight without it and I don't feel that I will ever gain it back. I can't imagine with only 15% of my stomach left how I could eat enough to do that. I still have 20 lbs to my goal, but if I never lost another lb and maintained my present weight it would be well worth it. I haven't even started exercising yet ( I hate to exercise. LOL)

One thing that I would advise is that you get a list of things that the $11,000 covers. It may cover your doctor, but not the anesthesia (sp?), hospital stay, etc.

Otherwise, I am self-pay, and I would do it again. Wish I did it sooner when my particular doctor was 1K cheaper.

I received a medical loan through Care Credit for my $14,600 bill. It is 0% interest for one year. Worth looking into if you can make the payments to pay it off in a year.

I have noticed a significant drop in our grocery bill since I started this journey and while I won't save $14K the first year there alone, I know that over time it will be much, much larger! Plus, all my co-morbidites are gone....no snoring, lower blood pressure, diabetes, etc. That will save me money on prescriptions!!

As for weight regain...everything in life is what you make it. If you go into this with a positive, can-do attitude, then it will be a great experience for you. Do your research in all areas and make your decision with a clear heart.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

If your medical bills equal over 7.5% of your income you can deduct the overage from your taxes. SO take ALL medical expenses an add them together - out of pocket anything, co pays, spouse, kids, etc....dental and vision too - and you get that back.

So if you are single and make 50,000 that is 3500$ that you would start to get a refund, if you dont owe anything else, of course. So you could get a simple interest loan, and pay until you refund paid it off - I am not a tax professional in anyway CHECK IT OUT WITH A CPA!!!

Good luck!

This was a very timely topic for me as I was had similar conversations regarding cost with my dr office today. My company as well has an exclusion, no plans to change according to HR and since I am lucky enough to have a great job that I have no plans of leaving I am in a self pay situation. I have to be honest, I also balked at the idea but after struggling my whole life with weight I am commited to making this change.

I am meeting with my dr tomorrow to determine next steps and surgery date. I am going back and forth between the Sleeve and Gastric Bypass. In terms of cost, like another post, it is important for me to go through a BLIS surgeon to get coverage should something go wrong, so my costs may be higher than others. For GBP it is $22K with BLIS and for Sleeve around $19K with BLIS. Please note I did have all of my prework (nutritional consult, Endoscopy, Pysch evaluation etc) in Nov/Dec and my insurance covered it. Not sure if this will be a factor in terms of addition cost to you.

Best of luck. Whatever you decide I hope the New Year brings good health.

I paid $12,500 out of pocket for the sleeve, plus I'm still getting bills for co-pays on the two other surgeries I was required to have because of my DVTs and pulmonary embolisms. I still think it is worth every single penny and more!

I'm still considered morbidly obese, but my health is improving dramatically. I've lost over 70 pounds In 4 months and still losing. IMO, this is the best thing I've ever done for myself, bar none!!!

Lissa

I am over 2 1/2 years out and I haven't gained it back. You do have to watch the junk food consumption but as far as meals go, I can't eat much so if I don't pig out on candy, I stay at goal.

I paid 10 grand for my revision surgery in MX and it was the best money I have ever spent!

I was self pay in Mexcio and it was 5700.00 plus 250.00 airfare.

Best money I have ever spent..

Julie

Bikerchick519- You had your surgery done in Mexico? Where at? I'm thinking about having it done in Mexico so any information would be great. Thanks!!!

Anyone else go to Mexico and extremely happy with it? If so, who did you see?

Wow that is an excellant price! I paid $15,500.00 for my surgery. To me, it was very worth it and i would spend that same amount again if i had to. With my cost, I got excellent care and a very caring doctor. A private hospital, 1 year of after care and yearly after care after that. I have never regretted spending this amount of money.

I had surgery in Mexico with Dr. Ramos Kelly.'It was 5700.00 not including airfare.

I am VERY pleased with my sirgery and my care while there.

I had better care at the hosp. then I have had in the states.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Julie

Megnwilliam, I went to Dr. Kelly in Tijuana. They picked us up at the airport. My dad and 19 year old daughter went. She stayed at the hospital with me and they drove my dad back and forth from the hotel every morning and night. Everyone was awesome. I had an ideal recovery with no gas, no pain, I felt great. I had horrible acid reflux before surgery and have not had it once since. Dr. Kelly is the best in my opinion. I paid 5560 plus airfare but I think he raised it to 5700, still worth every penny.

If your medical bills equal over 7.5% of your income you can deduct the overage from your taxes. SO take ALL medical expenses an add them together - out of pocket anything, co pays, spouse, kids, etc....dental and vision too - and you get that back.

Not QUITE. What you are allowed to do is to take the amount OVER 7.5% in OUT OF POCKET expenses off your GROSS INCOME - it is NOT a direct tax rebate. That means if 7.5% of your gross income is $10,000 and you spent $15,000 out of pocket you are allowed to take the $5000 off your GROSS income, that is you will not have to pay taxes on the $5000, which typically is at a actualized rate between 10-20%. So you have a tax benefit of $500-1000, not the full $5000.

Man, I'd take every last cent of any extra money I had and pay it every month for the next 10 years if it meant getting my sleeve. I paid 8750 plus airfare and some extra money so all together I took a loan for 11,000. It was worth every single payment. I went to the best Doctor in the world and I'm almost at goal. Wearing size 6 jeans, feeling confident wherever I go. Can't put a price on that.