Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self-pay: Is It Worth It?

only you can really answer the question on whether or not its worth it. What do you want out of life? With the sleeve, you don't have the malabsorbtion issues that you have with the bypass, so that's not an issue. I'm paying about 5K by going to Mexico and every penny is considered well spent for me. 3 years is not a very long time to be paying on something that will extend your life exponentially, in my opinion.

Why do you have the fear that you'll gain the weight back? Do you feel that you won't be able to control your eating habits even with the sleeve?

After everything I paid 19,000. Care Credit gave me an 18 months interest free loan for $15,900. As of today I owe 8,000 and plan to have it paid off by June. I am writing the whole thing off of my taxes this year.

Hi Everyone,

I was a self pay and I had Sleeve surgery over 3 years ago. I had Dr. Aceves and he is fabulous. I can't say enough good things about him and his entire staff. I only wished I would have done it 10 years earlier, but at that time I knew very little about

WLS. It has changed my entire life. There isn't a thing I would EVER change about paying for it myself. My insurance would NOT pay for any WLS. They told me I was not "fat enough" to have WLS. Give me a break I lost 105 pounds! Don't give away one more day of your life being fat. Go for it and just do it.

You are going to die faster from being fat than any problems you THINK you may have from WLS.

Hugs,

Suzanne

MaryAnn who went to Dr. Washington in Conway, SC please send me a message. I'm scheduled to have my procedure at this facility it March and would love to speak with you about your experience in more detail. Thank You Sherri - shmelton1@yahoo.com

Not QUITE. What you are allowed to do is to take the amount OVER 7.5% in OUT OF POCKET expenses off your GROSS INCOME - it is NOT a direct tax rebate. That means if 7.5% of your gross income is $10,000 and you spent $15,000 out of pocket you are allowed to take the $5000 off your GROSS income, that is you will not have to pay taxes on the $5000, which typically is at a actualized rate between 10-20%. So you have a tax benefit of $500-1000, not the full $5000.

Rootman, kinda not appreciated - you edited my comment, did not note that you had, then corrected me on it - you left out the part, in caps, where I said to check with a CPA.

Always check with your CPA if there is any doubt about taxes whether it be about medical expenses or whatever. My sister was audited and trust me, that is not the enema you want.

BTW, I believe it is based on your ADJUSTED GROSS income, but again, don't take my word for it ...

I self-paid in 2005 for my lapband...to now have to self-pay for revision...all because my insurance still refuses to let employees have WLS....I would say its worth it....even though my lapband was a failure....I am willing to pay to have the sleeve done, I believe it will work this time!!

Well what's your health worth? You know most people won't hesitate to go out and spend $15,000-$25,000 on a

car...........but when it's that amount for WLS they hesitate. Yes, it's a lot of money. However you're going to save a lot more than you would have spent over the years on obesity related illnesses somewhere down the line, not to mention having a better quality of life.

Do this for YOU! You're worth it! :-)

I self paid for my lapband, that was NOT worth it because it broke and almost killed me. Fate would have it that my exclusion was taken off of my insurance and I was able to get the sleeve (with a $3,000 copay). The sleeve is worth EVERY penny! I still get compliments daily at a year out. More and more people are asking me how I am losing and keeping the weight off. I feel amazing. Why live another minute of this life unhappy about your weight? DO THIS FOR YOU!!!

I self paid for my lapband, that was NOT worth it because it broke and almost killed me. Fate would have it that my exclusion was taken off of my insurance and I was able to get the sleeve (with a $3,000 copay). The sleeve is worth EVERY penny! I still get compliments daily at a year out. More and more people are asking me how I am losing and keeping the weight off. I feel amazing. Why live another minute of this life unhappy about your weight? DO THIS FOR YOU!!!

Becca I'm with you on the Lap-Band part! I still have mine in and paid cash for the POS. I am hoping to revise to VSG!

ugh! so scary! so glad you're ok! so glad I didn't get the lap band!