Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self-pay: Is It Worth It?

My insurance has a weight-loss surgery exclusion, so I would be a self-pay patient. I attended the seminar & got approval for decent financing from my Credit Union. I am looking at Self Regional in Greenwood which charges $11,800 (Is this a good price compared to Mexico?) I have a consultation appointment this Friday.

However, I keep wondering if t's worth it to pay that much out of pocket? I have this fear I'll have this debt for say, 3 years, and by the time my debt is paid I'll have gained back the weight. Are the long term results worth it or will I be paying to get osteoporosis later in life due to malnutrition?

I'm sure other self-payers have had similar fears. How did you reason with yourself?

Thanks!

I just paid the remainder of my surgery bill this morning before my surgery next Monday! I also have an insurance exclusion. I certainly feel that the end result will be worth it. I look at it as a substantial investment in my health and my future. I just think of all the money I have spent on food, diets, bigger clothes, and gym memberships over the years and the medical bills that will follow from the effects of obesity if I don't take care of this problem. In my mind it makes perfect financial sense.

I don't think about weight regain. I look at this as a change for life. I will follow the rules and do what it takes to lose and then maintain. I wouldn't make this decision or spend this kind of money if I was not truly ready to do the work... whatever it takes! I am certain that with commitment, this will absolutely work. I have had fearful thoughts like you, but have too many examples of success to ignore. :)

Best of luck in your decision!

I was self pay and went to Mexico. My surgeon was awesome. I had to sell my motorcycle and borrow the rest. It was worth every penny and I would do it all again the exact same way. It is the best money I have ever spent and I do not regret a minute of it.

You can't put a price on your health, of course its worth the money! That being said....

I paid 5500 with dr Kelly in TJ, about 6500 total including flights. It's cheaper in Mexico, and this is what these doctors specialize in. They have much more training and experience than a general surgeon does in WLS.

Check with your lender if they have a better rate if it is for medical expenses, or ask about a secured loan.

You'll read on this forum how self pay clients say it is the best money they ever spent. And like mentioned earlier, save you money on prescriptions, diet fads, plus sized clothing etc.

Go for it!!

I'm self-pay. I paid about $3 grand more than that here in Jacksonville, but I believe it is worth every cent, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I paid $5300 with Dr ponce de leon. Best decision I ever maid. A total life changer. I am not looking back I am shedding the pounds and am happy for the first time in a long time. Christin said it best a substantial investment. Good Luck on your decision.

I'm self pay, and I found the best surgeon I could find here in the U.S. and it's going to cost $13,800 and there is no way in the blue blazes of Hades that I expect to gain any weight back, and I will not regret a single penny of it. (I'm not rich, either) I want my life back, and there is NO price I can put on that. We as women are already in great danger of osteoporosis because we eat junk. Even before surgery, we are malnourished because we don't eat lean meats and nutrient rich foods. I am speaking from a 42 year battle with all of this, so yes. Self pay is worth it. IF.....you go into this with the attitude of change. Everything will be different now. All the diet and exercise advice you've always been given will be a MUST, not a suggestion. That's my take on it.

Whichever way you go (paying in the U.S. or in Mexico) the money spent is definitely worth it. I'm 15 weeks out and am down about 50lbs. If I had not done the surgery I would still be struggling to lose weight. Don't get me wrong, it's no cake walk to have WLS, but when you think about all the time and money spent on all those diet get-skinny-quick programs, then Vertical sleeve is the way better choice. I'm over 30yrs old and I couldn't picture myself spending the next 30 (or maybe not even get to see another 30) making the same mistakes with over eating and yo-yo dieting. When does it stop? Good luck to you and whether you decide to go to Mexico or stay in the U.S., do what's best for you. Also just fyi, i had my surgery with Dr. Fernando Garcia in Tijuana and i paid $5000, airfare was an additional $300. Good luck to you!

I had my VSG in MX and paid $4500 plus $400 for flight and $70 for one night hotel. I am very happy with how everything went with the surgery in MX. I have been encouraging friends and family to go there, well those who have a true need for WLS. I plan on going back there for a "Mommy Makeover", Tummy Tuck with breast lift, in about a year or two. It will cost $4700. When I was down there having my VSG, a lady was there having the makeover. She was doing great. She showed me the incisions and she said her pain was manageable. She too had her VSG there about one year prior. If you're interested I can get you their phone number or email address. Either way you go, I believe it's worth every penny.

I'll be blunt, it's probably cheaper than a funeral - which is where you are generally heading when morbidly obese. I was and it's the best thing I've ever donw for myself. I have insurance and paid myself to get it sooner without waiting for the insurance companies games.

I want to echo what Christin said.

I certainly feel that the end result will be worth it. I look at it as a substantial investment in my health and my future. I just think of all the money I have spent on food, diets, bigger clothes, and gym memberships over the years and the medical bills that will follow from the effects of obesity if I don't take care of this problem. In my mind it makes perfect financial sense.

85% of my stomach was removed. What the heck am I going to have to do to regain the weight back!!!??? I just don't think it is possible. I would have to really be out of control, FAR more than I was pre-op.

I paid $10,400 and had it done in Las Vegas (Baby!) Borrowed against the house to do it, which is a 3% loan. Will have it paid off by my 1st surgiversary with all of the savings on food and health care I am not spending now.

I'll be blunt, it's probably cheaper than a funeral - which is where you are generally heading when morbidly obese. I was and it's the best thing I've ever donw for myself. I have insurance and paid myself to get it sooner without waiting for the insurance companies games.
be as blunt as you like - great post

BTW - seen your progress, if that lady needs reassurance - show your pictures, and become a posterboy

kathy

I was in the same boat as you - complete insurance exclusion, so I had to self-pay. Absolutely worth every penny!

I had no interest in the over-the-border option, and I considered it an absolute MUST to find a surgeon in my area who offered the BLIS insurance coverage (covers any related subsequent medical expenses for things like complications) - I didn't want any unpleasant surprises adding to my bill, or to have to fight with my insurance coverage over medical care for complications. I didn't end up needing it, but again, it was worth every penny for the peace of mind, plus, you know they won't work with a surgeon who has a higher rate of complications.

There's no guaranty you won't eventually regain, but you'd have to work pretty hard at blowing off your surgeon's medical advice to end up back at your pre-op weight. If you can commit to eating Protein first, not drinking with meals, avoiding empty calories, and preferably getting some exercise, you'll be fine!

I know Greenwood Hospital very well, It is a good hospital. When you go in for your consultation, make sure you ask the right questions, such as, does the $11,500 included EVERYTHING? The surgeon's fee, the hospital charge, the charge for a pych evaluation, a nutritionist, an endoscopy, blood work up, etc.....I live near Charlotte NC and was a self pay. At the seminar at Carolina's Medical Center they quoted $25,000---went for my consult and that was ONLY for the surgeon's fees. The total price was around $38,000.

I had to made a Medical Withdrawl on my 401K plan about the time the market tanked. I was very fortunate to find a surgeon that had 24 years of experience in New Jersey. The hospital in Conway SC wanted him working in their hospital and in order to obtain a SC Center of Excellence he had to perform 126 surgeries. The hospital ran a deal for $8,000 all inclusive---everything included in this price and for the next 6 months of any complication. I am 4 weeks out now and I absolutely adore this surgeon, Dr. Morris J Washington III and his entire staff treats you like family!!

I know God was directing my path on this one!!!

Mary Ann

Thank you...y'all are probably right about savings- I love Lane Bryant but it gets expensive buying a new wardrobe every other year due to weight gain!! Good point about how difficult it will probably be to gain weight with less of a stomach. I looked into the 401K loans too - not bad! You just need to verify what your particular investment company requires if you switch employers or lose your job. Thanks for the words of encouragement!