Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Have Been Given No Diet Requirements, And I'm Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery 8 Days

hey everyone,

Im really new to this sort of thing, and im really new to the gastric sleeve resection too. Im post op 8 days and all i have been told is to stay on "free fluids" until i can see my surgeon, in which i still dont have a date for? How long are you supposed to stay on free fluids and what does free fluids consist of. I am really stuggling with this so far. I previously have had a lap band which stuffed up four times, therefore thats why i have ahd the sleeve done. However with the lap band i could tell intantly if i was sore, full, hungry etc. With the sleeve i dont know what my tummy is trying to tell me, its constantly gurgling and making noises, im finding i dont feel full on the fluids, or get the fullness sensation so im scared ill stretch it if i have too much, im always sore but its expected, i dont know if the gurgling is telling me im hungry, im really confused and i cant even call my surgeon as his on holidays untill mid Jan.

If some one could please help and give me advice it would be great.

* How much should i be eating or i suppose on free fluids be drinking?

* What different things can i have on a free Fluid diet?

* How long am i supposed to be on fluids for?

*How do i try and understand and figure out what my tummy is telling me?

Thanks everyone.

My doctor had me on fluids for 3 weeks post-op because he says the sleeve takes longer to heal. I had light juices, Water, Protein shakes, fruit smoothies, sugar free popsicles, soy milk and strained Soup. Every surgeon has different rules so I would call the office and ask if they can tell you what your diet ought to be. Have you seen a nutritionist?

You can drink as much liquids you want really because it goes down quickly without filling up your stomach. I'm just now eating pureed foods and will be on them for 3 weeks. I now know what the full feeling is and it is quite painful. To alleviate this, I been eating small portions but when I start burping or hiccuping then I will stop eating.

see all i got told was to stay on free fluids untill i could get in to see my surgeon. I tried calling the office but they are closed for another week for xmas break. I wasnt told what to drink at all other than fluids. they never said anything about Protein Shakes or anything. But im really struggling wiith the 'just' fluids part of this as im not feeling any fullness and my stomach is contantly making gurgling noises and stuff. i just want to eat some mush or something to see if it changes. Do u think i could eat some veggie Soup n just mush it, or chew it well or ever vitimise it to see if i feel different sensations or something. I think im just really confussed and frustrated as i had none of this with the lap band - with that i knew immediately.

im only 2 weeks out and im still on full liquids.. i would say wait a little longer before you try to get in solids even pureed because you really wanna give your staple line time to heal if you start eating to quickly you may cause yourself to have a leak and then you are really gonna be unhappy cuz you will have to go back in for surgery... here is the time line that i was given if it helps

day 1-3 clear fluids only

day 4 full liquids for 2 weeks

then move to pureed foods for 2 weeks

then move to soft foods for 3 months

then a modified regular diet

hope that helps.. but no matter what you should always talk to your doc.. and since they are closed for xmas break you should try and stick to liquids till you can talk to them.. you can do Soups but it should be broth only and if you really have to get something in you then try a very soupy cream of wheat or cream of chicken that has been strained..

good luck to you.

Highly recommend you do not eat anything unless approved by your surgeon. Yes, Protein shakes are liquid so try some of those.

Now - since you were not given a diet plan you can always Google VSG diet plan or Nutritional guide for Sleeve Gastrectomy. I have about 10 diet guides that i have found and just used all in moderation. Caution is best right now. Wishing you great success!

I love my sleeve.

Dear New,

Possibly the doc thinks u know what to do from ur previous experience...what a lack of support. Id let them know u didn't appreciate it. My doc hd m on clear liquid for 2 weeks.the clear liquid included 6 oz of ensure plus low sodium broth, non caf tea/coffee, Water and crystal lite if I wanted. Last week gave me yogurt, thin Cereal, nonfat milk, cottage cheese (1%) and baked potato. This week added fish and eliminated potato and Cereal. Next week get chicken/turkey and 4th week get red meat. Jan 15, I start eating a certain number of Proteins (54????).

I'm not sure what happens with the 6oz rule on the 15th. My contact at the surgeons office is off this week, as well. I'm upset for u that they didn't give u clearer guidelines. Good luck!

I'm going to jump on a soapbox for a minute. I wish that bariatric surgery programs required all patients to do a pre-op nutrition class (like the one I did) before surgery. I received a binder full of everything I needed - meal plans/phases from day one all the way up to maintenance phase; lists of preferred/approved Vitamins, supplements and Protein options; etc. It's probably worth noting that my surgery center was a bariatric center of excellence.

Anyway, I agree that your liquids should be broth, SF popsicles, SF Jello, crystal light, etc. Usually Protein shakes are acceptable as liquids as well. Good luck to you! I hope you get some better guidance from your surgeon/nutritionist soon.