Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Gastric Sleeve Surgery Story- New To All Of This!

Hey everyone, I just joined this site, though I've been lurking for awhile. I am 28yo, and I have been struggling with my weight since I was seven. I wasn't actually overweight, though, until I was nine, but I don't remember a time when it wasn't a concern. I don't have a surgery date yet, but I am going to have the sleeve surgery with Dr. Jayaseelan in Dallas, TX. All I am waiting for is my insurance to approve the surgery, and to figure out what to do about my sleep apnea. It has been a really rough week- I didn't even know that I had apnea until Monday! My first test was last Saturday, and the sleep center called Monday and said that I had stopped breathing 79 times, and my oxygen sat was at 58%! So I went back in Monday night to try a CPAP machine, and apparently that didn't cut it. They brought me back in last night to try a BiPAP machine, and now I am waiting for the results. I don't honestly know what would happen next if the machine last night didn't work, and I'm kind of scared about it all! The upside is that the insurance company will probably approve my surgery quicker, or at least that's what the study coordinator from the sleep center was telling me.

My first consultation with Dr. Jayaseelan's office was Nov. 21, and they didn't think it would be a problem to get the approval and surgery scheduled before the end of the year. This is all happening so fast!

My husband has been kind of freaked out by all of this so far. He's been great and very supportive, but an emotional mess.

Anyway, I have really been enjoying reading this forum, and have been so excited to see all the victories and joys you all have been experiencing. I can't wait to get to that part of my journey!

Very sorry about the sleep apnea! Every hope for you that your insurance approval does not take a long time.

:)

Two pieces of good news about sleep apnea: 1. It's a major co-morbidity, so it should help get insurance approval for you. 2. Many people have a total reversal of sleep apnea at 20% of their body weight lost, so you won't have to use the machine for long.

I have/had major sleep apnea. I had 1,000 (one thousand) events per hour when diagnosed. I am using a bi-pap and started two weeks before surgery. If you do have to use a machine, make sure to take it in pre-surgery (like a week before) and have it cleared by the engineering dept at the hospital for you to use after surgery. Otherwise, they'll make you use your mask hooked up to their oxygen machine which acts like a c-pap (continuous pressure) rather than a bi-pap (alternating lower pressure when you exhale and can be set so it starts out at a low pressure until you're asleep and then builds up to higher pressure over 1/2 an hour or so).

If you run into problems when you start using the bi-pap, which is what I hope they'll give you, let me know and I'll be happy to help you find ways to adjust to the machine. A good friend helped me get past my clausterphobia with the mask and I'm always willing to pass the info along! :)

Good luck on your journey!! :)

Thanks so much!!! I really hope the biPAP worked well enough last night. When the tech came in this morning, she was like, "Well, I never did get you into a REM cycle! You kept me busy all night! And I wasn't supposed to tell you that..."

I haven't heard from them yet today, so hopefully this means I get to stay home and sleep in my own bed tonight.

Cris, I'm at 22/12 and it took that high a setting to get me to REM. My doc tells me that he'll take me off the bi-pap when I hit 280, which will be 20% of my body weight lost.

Good luck to you!! :)

Thanks, Lissa! I heard from the sleep center that the BiPAP worked okay, so now I am just waiting for the people to come set it up at my house. I really hope this makes the insurance company hurry to approve the surgery-- it would be awesome to get squeezed in before the end of the year!

Still waiting for the people to come out and set up the BiPAP machine in my home.... I hope they come out soon! I weighed in this morning on my wii and am down almost ten pounds since Nov. 21st, when I weighed in at the first consultation. I've been doing the liquid diet off and on, in hopes that this process would be moving along a little quicker, thinking that I would be able to schedule the surgery ASAP once I finally get approved. The waiting is not easy. I have been dreaming of a normal appetite since I was 9 years old!

i hope they speed it up! it seems like when we wait, people take their sweet time instead of hauling ass!

Still waiting for the people to come out and set up the BiPAP machine in my home.... I hope they come out soon! I weighed in this morning on my wii and am down almost ten pounds since Nov. 21st, when I weighed in at the first consultation. I've been doing the liquid diet off and on, in hopes that this process would be moving along a little quicker, thinking that I would be able to schedule the surgery ASAP once I finally get approved. The waiting is not easy. I have been dreaming of a normal appetite since I was 9 years old!

LOL... Maybe it's the human condition-- we all expect everyone ELSE to be on our time schedule, lol. I'm sure they are thinking that I won't mind if they take care of it as soon as it's *convenient* instead of as soon as *possible*

it could be that too! lol.

LOL... Maybe it's the human condition-- we all expect everyone ELSE to be on our time schedule, lol. I'm sure they are thinking that I won't mind if they take care of it as soon as it's *convenient* instead of as soon as *possible*

Got a special little phone call today-- APPROVED!!! Signed, sealed, soon to be delivered!

Oh my GOSH!! just talked to the surgeon's office, and scheduled the surgery for the 20th!!!! Now I am SCARED!!! lol. It's a happy scared, though. I am just so excited that it's all coming together!

Congratulations!!!!Banane55.gif

Cris,

My husband was a bit freaked out about it all as well. He was worried about me -- specifically that something could happen during what was an "optional" surgery. He was very worried. He was supportive but also let me know that I didn't have to go through with it.

I had my surgery in August. He was in my room with me right after surgery and witnessed some pretty low blood pressure and heart beats (down to the 30s and 40s). He said I looked like I was on death's door.

I improved quickly, but he was not prepared for what I looked like immediately after surgery.

I was up and walking around that night, so I really did improve fast. My nurses and surgeons were not worried.

Now, my husband is very happy that I had it done. He says I am happier. I also don't have problems with my ankle like I did before, and I have lots more energy.

Wow, Linda! I can relate- I actually just got off the phone with my hubs to tell him the news about scheduling the surgery, and he sounded very strained and stressed when we hung up! He is not nearly as excited and gung-ho about this as I am....