Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

22 Days And Dealing With The Ups And Downs

Hello all!

Well, I am officially 22 days away from having surgery. I never thought I would get to this point. I was supposed to meet with the surgeon for the last appt today but they rescheduled me to the 15th. I was really mad at first because I have had that appt for 3 weeks and they bumped me for another patient who was an emergency. So after I calmed down I realized that it doesn't change my surgery date so I am ok with it. Sort of. I guess I was more anxious because the only requirement before the surgery was for me to lose 15lbs, which I have done. I just wanted to have it documented asap!

I also found out that the doctor is not requiring a liquid diet prior to surgery just after. So all in all I will be able to eat during the Christmas season, within moderation of course. I just need to make sure the 15lbs stay off. Other than that I am waiting and while the days seem to be dragging by I am sure with Christmas right around the corner it will go fast. smilingface%20%2852%29.gif

How is everybody else out there coping with their upcoming surgery? Getting anxious? Any tips for staying calm. Please share! :)

Cheri, you are going to experience so many emotions between now and your surgery, it is just crazy girl. Excitement, fear, mourning the loss of food, you name it. Just remind yourself that this is the best gift you can give yourself, a healthier you! Be excited, look forward to new clothes, being more active, all those things you couldn't do before. You will be so much more confident, happier and healthier. And remember, you don't have to mourn food, because really no food is off limits if it doesn't upset your tummy. We just have to learn to eat like "normal" people and remember everything in moderation.

My surgery is in 3 days and i couldnt be more excited! I've had many surgeries before so the surgery itself doesnt scare me a bit. Its the pain afterward that is a little un-nerving. Oh well, im sure we're all going to do great! Good luck on your surgery!

Babigirl, you will be surprised, the pain is really very minimal with this surgery. For myself, I didn't even take any of the pain medication at all.

I had my sleeve on 11/15 and Susan is right, there is very little surgery pain. I only used the pain medication the first day and then didn't need anything. I was up and walking that evening. Very slowly and not very far, but I was walking. The next day I walked further and was able to stand up straight. The incisions are very small and my doc used some type of clear glue stuff to close them so I didn't have any external stitches. The best thing was the 2nd day to be able to put on my clothes and do away with the hospital gown. I took a pair of elastic, loose fitting shorts to wear and once I got in my clothes, it was so much easier/nicer to walk the hospital hallways.

I don't know of any tips for staying calm. This is such an exciting adventure we are all on. I would suggest that you take a couple of pictures of yourself now at this size, get a journel and weight and measure your entire body and keep a log. Once you have the surgery and you measure yourself at 1 month out you will be amazed! Also, once you start buying new SMALLER clothes, keep 1 outfit (jeans, tee shirt) from your current size so you can compare "where you were" to "where your at" thru this journey. My insurance required my to do a 4 month diet with a nutritionist so since I started that and had the surgery I have lost almost 50 pounds and have gone from a 20W pants to 16. And when I put my old jeans on the bed and lay the new ones on top, it will really blow your mind to see the difference, cuz for some crazy reason, we can't see it when we look in a mirror at ourselves.

Good luck with your surgery, you will do just fine!

Babigrl,

I am so excited for you and just down PCH from you in San Clemente. My surgery is the 14th!

Don't think about the pain. The last stomach surgery I had in 1999 had 6 incisions also, and I never had any pain or took any pain meds. Although I did mention to my doctor yesterday I was afraid of nausea and vomiting cuz I sometimes do that after anesthesia, but he assured me he would have liquid pain and nausea medicine in my IV. You will be sleepy and I am sure your doctor will give you the same type of liquid pain meds if you request it. Just don't be afraid to ask for them if you need them, but hopefully you won't.

I am starting my preop liquids tomorrow!

Good luck and praying for you.

Janet

thanks ladies! I am so excited about starting this new life. I do feel like I am in a dream world at times. There are days I still feel like I am missing something because I spent so many months going to appointments and battling with the insurance company, to not have anything else to do but wait, feels weird!

I will say that if it weren't for this forum I would have lost my mind by now! So thank you to everyone! :)

Ya know without this forum I would have bailed. Matter of fact a week before my surgery I really started to freak out and even posted about wanting to back out just to have people tell me it was normal and basically to suck it up ;) It worked and I went through with it. Not only do you have to face a major surgery but you are facing a whole lifestyle change from the way you eat to the way you look. It's totally normal to go through a million different emotions before surgery.

I am presently unable to leave the house for physical reasons.

I know i must walk as much as i can after surgery, the only way i can walk is back and forth through out the house, is that going to be sufficient? i do have a treadmill, but i don't want to start that for awhile, so i don't get in "trouble".

How long did it take you to "walk off the gas", or it that you just need to continue walking to get energy back?

thanx kathy DOS 12/15/11

ps as far as being nervous & anxious for WLS - i had to go through nerves twice. About one week before WLS I got a call postponing WLS cuz they wanted to change hospitals :o( So i went through nerves once, now again till 12/15/11 - boo hoo :o( WLS will finally happen, hopefully 12/15/11

I am right at a month away and I almost feel a bit obsessive about this surgery! I feel impatient, I feel nervous, I feel excited, and I can hardly think about anything else! I am just so ready to start my new life! I know it will be here quickly, but it is still driving me crazy. :)

I'm super nervous too. I vascillate between excited and ready to do this and completely scared and anxious. It's a major decision and a major life change, and it's natural to feel all these conflicting emotions.

Well, I am 16 days away from my surgery! 12/28 cannot come fast enough and yes I am running through all of the emotions. The only nervous emotion I have had was filling out the advance medical directive and discussing it with my husband. He has been supportive through this process up to that particular point. I told him it's just a precaution. I have had many surgeries that were way harder than this one. I just wanted to make sure we are on the same page.

Other than that, I will say, the rest of the emotions are all the positive ones. I am thinking about how good I am going to feel to finally have control over my life again. I started this process back in July and I am not going to back out. I have the chance to change my life for the better...forever. There is no way I am going to pass that up! Ironically, I have been able to drop 22 lbs without really trying. I think the dietician I met with should be congratulated! She completely changed the way I look at food. She actually made sense! For once I am actually looking forward to the new year because there is finally going to be a new me to go with it!

I've been super stressed today, I don't know why. I've been crying and felt sad,,then happy and excited. A real roller coaster. I'm seeing the surgeon tomorrow for my last clinical appt and I start my pre op diet tomorrow. I feel confused and very moody. 15 days till my surgery, I hope I don't have many days like this. I obsess over the surgery and my life after,,I can relate to christin.

I've been super stressed today, I don't know why. I've been crying and felt sad,,then happy and excited. A real roller coaster. I'm seeing the surgeon tomorrow for my last clinical appt and I start my pre op diet tomorrow. I feel confused and very moody. 15 days till my surgery, I hope I don't have many days like this. I obsess over the surgery and my life after,,I can relate to christin.

Let us know how your appointment goes!

Peacequeen, don't stress or be too hard on yourself. Remember this was something you wanted when you first started the process way back when. Don't forget the reasons why you are doing this and be gentle on yourself. Hugs! :)