Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Tell Your Gastric Sleeve Surgery Hospital Stories/experiences!

Since I am only five days I will give my experience.

Checked in at 6:00 Am. Hospital pre op staff was incredibly nice and explained every single thing they did. No question was too silly.

Woke up in my room with my in laws sitting there keeping watch. Unfortunately I think I should have avoided the pain pump. I think it contributed to my grogginess.

I had a bad roommate - not a bariatric patient but someone with a horrible injury. Not her fault of course but hard to rest when the drugged up person next to you has arguments with the staff all night regarding her pain meds.

I couldn't have asked for better staff. I either had someone there constantly or when I rang the bell they were there instantly. I didn't have a drain but the cather was in for 24 hours (yuck!). I was up walking within 4 hours of surgery - not far to be sure - but at least down the hall.

Also had to have the leak test before they would release on day two. Then ate delicious popiscle and cream of chicken Soup. When that stayed down they sent me home.

So no complaints regarding my hoptial stay!

I had my surgery June 21st, 2011. I was an out of state revision patient. I had surgery at Forest Park Medical Center. When I first drove up, I became alarmed because it looked like an oversized high rise car dealership building. It is a pretty new building, but it is not a hospital, it is a surgical center only. I was told this was a hospital, so I started becoming concerned that if something went wrong, would they be able to do whatever was needed. I had to fill out all kinds of paperwork which went pretty well. They drew blood, and had all kinds of trouble which is odd cuz my PCP office never had issues drawing blood. At one point I asked one of the nurses about whether they were able to handle emergencies if something went wrong during surgery. She pointed to this mobile unit with various things with the paddles and such, wasn't very reassuring to me. I guess what happens is they try to stabilize you and then you get rushed by ambulance to a "real" hospital.

So, my surgery was scheduled for I think 3pm that next day. I reported in at 1pm, he was running behind, was there by myself so it did provide more time to worry about the "what if" scenarios. Finally, I was called back and changed into the wonderful gown. I ended up in that wait area for probably another hour or so because Dr. Stewart was running behind. This started to really wear on me because I was getting really nervous the more time I just laid there and had nothing to do but look at the walls and curtain in front of me. They have a patient advocate that came by which I really liked, very nice lady. She talked to me to see how I was doing. A little later when she walked by she looked in on me and saw I had tears streaming down my cheeks even though I was fighting them. She said she would see if they could bring me something. They said they had to wait until I saw the anisthesiologist because i had to sign some forms and I couldn't be under the influence of any drugs while signing the papers. The anisthesiologist came to talk to me, Dr. Stewart and a few different nurses. Finally, I got my cocktail while in that waiting room and the next thing I remember is waking up in my room which I am thankful for. Don't know how they moved me around, don't really want to think about it, but I guess they have procedures for that stuff. I didn't have any bruises, so I guess it went ok.

I woke up with a lot of abdominal pain. I also had a tube, but I think because I was a revision patient he wanted to be sure the excess Fluid had a quick way to escape. Like several others they would wake me at 3:30am to draw blood. VERY annoying, plus after 5 tries they couldn't draw any blood. I was about ready to slug somebody as they were poking me like a pin cushion. I'm like wtf!!!I finally told them to stop. Plus, I was NOT impressed that many of them were not using gloves at any point when trying to draw blood which is a DIRECT OSHA violation. I should have said something right then, but was feeling pretty vulnerable so I didn't. I understand to find the vein it is easier to do it with the finger touch, but by god when they do the actual draw, gloves should be on. Yes, maybe I'm a bigger risk to them, then them to me- but nonetheless.

My surgeon Dr. Stewart didn't bother to see me until 2 days after my surgery, he might be a good surgeon, but has horrible bedside manners and is really a "sleeve n leave'em" kind of guy. He has no intentions of ever seeing his patients again after surgery to be quite honest. I had to call his office to find out if he was going to see me and their response was, "well, he's pretty busy, he will try". I was like "wow".... pretty disappointing.

I was discharged 2 days after surgery (a Friday), and had my post op visit the next Tuesday, where I had the drain removed. It was getting to be a big nuisance anyways. From there, I drove home my 8 hr drive. I was soooo glad to be home.

I had a lot of pain from the carbon dioxide they used during surgery, mostly in my left shoulder. Then, about 2 wks later, I developed a pain in my lower left side that anytime I coughed, sneezed or moved in a bending fashion would be horrendous. I called my docs office and it took 3 DAYS for someone to call me back and that was probably only because I kept calling. Dr. Stewart's office does NOT answer their office phones. You end up having to leave a voicemail and "hope" they call you back. This wasn't that way when I first contacted their office about surgery, but he evidently can't keep people to stay working at his office very long (high turnover). So, hard to say the reasons, but given my personal experiences, I have my opinions.

Anyways, am just glad to have the surgery over with. As of today, I am down 90# and have about 45# more to go. I hope to be finished by next Spring. The weight loss has certainly slowed down the past month and a half, but I'm determined to get to my final goal. With my 1st WLS 13 1/2 yrs ago, I got down to 162# and started dating someone who had very poor eating habits and made it very hard for me to stay on track. I was so excited to be in a relationship, I lost track of focusing on me which is my fault. I WILL NOT make that mistake again. I will get to my ultimate goal of 135#, although with the loose skin, it's hard to say if it will be exactly that since the loose skin weighs too.

I finally feel ok about how I look even if I'm not at goal yet. LOVE being able to cross my legs easily, sit in chairs without feeling like I'm sliding my hips through a suction cup, wearing jeans more often (used to just wear sweats in my off time cuz they didn't restrict me so bad even if they looked horrible- I didn't care how I looked).

I'm back to riding my horses and not feel like I'm hurting their back carrying my fat butt around. Going to reward myself with a trip to Europe next Spring where I will be riding classically dressage trained Andalusion and Lippizan horses. I'm so psyched! But, most of all, so glad to be getting my life back in more ways than one.

I would do the surgery over again in a heartbeat!

im sorry u had that type of experience. im glad you turned out ok! god bless u!

I had my surgery June 21st, 2011. I was an out of state revision patient. I had surgery at Forest Park Medical Center. When I first drove up, I became alarmed because it looked like an oversized high rise car dealership building. It is a pretty new building, but it is not a hospital, it is a surgical center only. I was told this was a hospital, so I started becoming concerned that if something went wrong, would they be able to do whatever was needed. I had to fill out all kinds of paperwork which went pretty well. They drew blood, and had all kinds of trouble which is odd cuz my PCP office never had issues drawing blood. At one point I asked one of the nurses about whether they were able to handle emergencies if something went wrong during surgery. She pointed to this mobile unit with various things with the paddles and such, wasn't very reassuring to me. I guess what happens is they try to stabilize you and then you get rushed by ambulance to a "real" hospital.

So, my surgery was scheduled for I think 3pm that next day. I reported in at 1pm, he was running behind, was there by myself so it did provide more time to worry about the "what if" scenarios. Finally, I was called back and changed into the wonderful gown. I ended up in that wait area for probably another hour or so because Dr. Stewart was running behind. This started to really wear on me because I was getting really nervous the more time I just laid there and had nothing to do but look at the walls and curtain in front of me. They have a patient advocate that came by which I really liked, very nice lady. She talked to me to see how I was doing. A little later when she walked by she looked in on me and saw I had tears streaming down my cheeks even though I was fighting them. She said she would see if they could bring me something. They said they had to wait until I saw the anisthesiologist because i had to sign some forms and I couldn't be under the influence of any drugs while signing the papers. The anisthesiologist came to talk to me, Dr. Stewart and a few different nurses. Finally, I got my cocktail while in that waiting room and the next thing I remember is waking up in my room which I am thankful for. Don't know how they moved me around, don't really want to think about it, but I guess they have procedures for that stuff. I didn't have any bruises, so I guess it went ok.

I woke up with a lot of abdominal pain. I also had a tube, but I think because I was a revision patient he wanted to be sure the excess Fluid had a quick way to escape. Like several others they would wake me at 3:30am to draw blood. VERY annoying, plus after 5 tries they couldn't draw any blood. I was about ready to slug somebody as they were poking me like a pin cushion. I'm like wtf!!!I finally told them to stop. Plus, I was NOT impressed that many of them were not using gloves at any point when trying to draw blood which is a DIRECT OSHA violation. I should have said something right then, but was feeling pretty vulnerable so I didn't. I understand to find the vein it is easier to do it with the finger touch, but by god when they do the actual draw, gloves should be on. Yes, maybe I'm a bigger risk to them, then them to me- but nonetheless.

My surgeon Dr. Stewart didn't bother to see me until 2 days after my surgery, he might be a good surgeon, but has horrible bedside manners and is really a "sleeve n leave'em" kind of guy. He has no intentions of ever seeing his patients again after surgery to be quite honest. I had to call his office to find out if he was going to see me and their response was, "well, he's pretty busy, he will try". I was like "wow".... pretty disappointing.

I was discharged 2 days after surgery (a Friday), and had my post op visit the next Tuesday, where I had the drain removed. It was getting to be a big nuisance anyways. From there, I drove home my 8 hr drive. I was soooo glad to be home.

I had a lot of pain from the carbon dioxide they used during surgery, mostly in my left shoulder. Then, about 2 wks later, I developed a pain in my lower left side that anytime I coughed, sneezed or moved in a bending fashion would be horrendous. I called my docs office and it took 3 DAYS for someone to call me back and that was probably only because I kept calling. Dr. Stewart's office does NOT answer their office phones. You end up having to leave a voicemail and "hope" they call you back. This wasn't that way when I first contacted their office about surgery, but he evidently can't keep people to stay working at his office very long (high turnover). So, hard to say the reasons, but given my personal experiences, I have my opinions.

Anyways, am just glad to have the surgery over with. As of today, I am down 90# and have about 45# more to go. I hope to be finished by next Spring. The weight loss has certainly slowed down the past month and a half, but I'm determined to get to my final goal. With my 1st WLS 13 1/2 yrs ago, I got down to 162# and started dating someone who had very poor eating habits and made it very hard for me to stay on track. I was so excited to be in a relationship, I lost track of focusing on me which is my fault. I WILL NOT make that mistake again. I will get to my ultimate goal of 135#, although with the loose skin, it's hard to say if it will be exactly that since the loose skin weighs too.

I finally feel ok about how I look even if I'm not at goal yet. LOVE being able to cross my legs easily, sit in chairs without feeling like I'm sliding my hips through a suction cup, wearing jeans more often (used to just wear sweats in my off time cuz they didn't restrict me so bad even if they looked horrible- I didn't care how I looked).

I'm back to riding my horses and not feel like I'm hurting their back carrying my fat butt around. Going to reward myself with a trip to Europe next Spring where I will be riding classically dressage trained Andalusion and Lippizan horses. I'm so psyched! But, most of all, so glad to be getting my life back in more ways than one.

I would do the surgery over again in a heartbeat!

My hospital experience wasn't the best. I had mine on Nov 21.

Came in at 7 a.m. for a 9 a.m. surgery. I was going to be his second case that day. Promptly got into a gown and those thin hospital stockings. My mom was the one who drove me and my dad and best friend came in later. My friend was even contemplating missing his Spanish class (we're both 22 and go to the same university) so he could stay with me longer before I had to go; he's the best! After waiting around until 9:30, they took me to the recovery room. Poked, prodded, and finally was wheeled into the OR.

I remember waking up in the recovery room freaking out because it felt like I couldn't breathe, even though I had a gas mask on. Fell back asleep and woke up in my room. It was a private room, as are all the rooms on the first floor of the hospital. Even one side of the floor are typically reserved more for bariatric patients. I don't remember being in a whole lot of pain, mainly just the incision that they took the stomach out of was bothering me. Sadly, it went downhill from there. Throughout the day, I did the routine walking and trying to get some fluids down. By the next day, I took a turn for the worst. I was using the shower and I felt very nauseous. I then threw up bile and blood while in the shower. They took me back to the room and tried different kind of cocktails of drugs, as they thought maybe my pain medicine was making me ill. They got two ounces of Water and one ounce of liquid pain medicine before I started violently throwing up.

I was then wheeled to do an upper GI where I had to drink some nasty liquid chalk. They found out my stomach had twisted and whatever I tried to get down had nowhere to go so it was forced to come back up. On Nov 23, they performed an endoscopy and put a stent in my stomach to prevent it from closing up. The next couple days, I was so drugged up, when they asked me what my birthday was, I said JeeJee. After my endoscopy, I had to rush to radiology before the radiologist left. I was still heavily influenced by anesthesia, so as I was waiting in the wheelchair in the room where I was having my second upper GI done, they asked me my name, I said, "Miss....." Couldn't even remember my name! blush2.gif They concluded that the stent procedure fixed what was wrong. To finish up this part of the story, I was released two days later on Thanksgiving night after four days in the hospital.

My story is already too long, so I'll try to shorten the next parts. I ended up having complications after being released. I saw the doctor that next Wednesday, on the 30th and he had me do a CT scan the next day. Came in at 6 p.m. on Thursday, forced to drink way too much of that iodine contrast, even though I told the nurse I was a bariatric patient and couldn't hold much, she just told me to basically drink until I almost burst. CT scan found nothing wrong. That night is when I started throwing up an average of three to four times a day. I called the doctor every day and did everything he suggested, but nothing was working. All this time, I was also producing excessive saliva and couldn't stop spitting. I was dutifully taking the liquid pain medicine the doctor prescribed every four hours. I tried going to school but could never make it a whole day because I was in pain.

Fast forward last Tuesday, Dec 6. My mom ended up taking me to ER, where I waited in the lobby for 2-3 hours. They took some tests, weighed me (I had lost 25 pounds in 15 days). Turns out I was severely dehydrated. Put an IV in me, gave me another iodine contrast bottle to drink and did another CT scan, and still couldn't find anything wrong. ER doctor came in, poked my stomach, and then lectured me about how my stomach was smaller and I should get used to not eating as much. I told him the only thing I ate that day was 1/2 an oz of applesauce, and before that I was living off of one or two popsicles in a whole day. He just said, "That's no fun" and then left the room. They tried multiple times to call my doctor to get me admitted but he never answered. I was discharged at 3 a.m. Next two days, the vomiting continued, and even got worse. I couldn't drink, eat, or even move without feeling nauseous. I'd wake up from a dead sleep to throw up. I was so tired from not getting a night's sleep since my surgery, that I had fallen asleep sitting up in bed with a trash can between my legs and my head resting on my nightstand. My mom then called the hospital and I was admitted on Thursday at around 11 a.m. They didn't even weigh me or do proper vitals before the OR nurses came into my room and said I was being prepared to go to surgery. Around 1:30, I was taken into surgery where they removed the stent. Woke up feeling 110% better.

It's Saturday and I haven't thrown up since! I've even been able to have pureed chicken, scrambled eggs, and applesauce! The only thing I can complain about is that my stomach muscles were exerted so much from throwing up, that they are now really stiff and sore! I'm just glad to be feeling better.

Do you happen to know what size bougie your doc used on you? I've also heard that sometimes if the docs makes the stomach too curved that these things can happen, or also what they call the "hour glass syndrome" where the stomach just contracts because of the way the surgeon makes his cuts. It sounds like you are fine now, just wondering. Glad you are doing better!

My hospital experience wasn't the best. I had mine on Nov 21.

Came in at 7 a.m. for a 9 a.m. surgery. I was going to be his second case that day. Promptly got into a gown and those thin hospital stockings. My mom was the one who drove me and my dad and best friend came in later. My friend was even contemplating missing his Spanish class (we're both 22 and go to the same university) so he could stay with me longer before I had to go; he's the best! After waiting around until 9:30, they took me to the recovery room. Poked, prodded, and finally was wheeled into the OR.

I remember waking up in the recovery room freaking out because it felt like I couldn't breathe, even though I had a gas mask on. Fell back asleep and woke up in my room. It was a private room, as are all the rooms on the first floor of the hospital. Even one side of the floor are typically reserved more for bariatric patients. I don't remember being in a whole lot of pain, mainly just the incision that they took the stomach out of was bothering me. Sadly, it went downhill from there. Throughout the day, I did the routine walking and trying to get some fluids down. By the next day, I took a turn for the worst. I was using the shower and I felt very nauseous. I then threw up bile and blood while in the shower. They took me back to the room and tried different kind of cocktails of drugs, as they thought maybe my pain medicine was making me ill. They got two ounces of Water and one ounce of liquid pain medicine before I started violently throwing up.

I was then wheeled to do an upper GI where I had to drink some nasty liquid chalk. They found out my stomach had twisted and whatever I tried to get down had nowhere to go so it was forced to come back up. On Nov 23, they performed an endoscopy and put a stent in my stomach to prevent it from closing up. The next couple days, I was so drugged up, when they asked me what my birthday was, I said JeeJee. After my endoscopy, I had to rush to radiology before the radiologist left. I was still heavily influenced by anesthesia, so as I was waiting in the wheelchair in the room where I was having my second upper GI done, they asked me my name, I said, "Miss....." Couldn't even remember my name! blush2.gif They concluded that the stent procedure fixed what was wrong. To finish up this part of the story, I was released two days later on Thanksgiving night after four days in the hospital.

My story is already too long, so I'll try to shorten the next parts. I ended up having complications after being released. I saw the doctor that next Wednesday, on the 30th and he had me do a CT scan the next day. Came in at 6 p.m. on Thursday, forced to drink way too much of that iodine contrast, even though I told the nurse I was a bariatric patient and couldn't hold much, she just told me to basically drink until I almost burst. CT scan found nothing wrong. That night is when I started throwing up an average of three to four times a day. I called the doctor every day and did everything he suggested, but nothing was working. All this time, I was also producing excessive saliva and couldn't stop spitting. I was dutifully taking the liquid pain medicine the doctor prescribed every four hours. I tried going to school but could never make it a whole day because I was in pain.

Fast forward last Tuesday, Dec 6. My mom ended up taking me to ER, where I waited in the lobby for 2-3 hours. They took some tests, weighed me (I had lost 25 pounds in 15 days). Turns out I was severely dehydrated. Put an IV in me, gave me another iodine contrast bottle to drink and did another CT scan, and still couldn't find anything wrong. ER doctor came in, poked my stomach, and then lectured me about how my stomach was smaller and I should get used to not eating as much. I told him the only thing I ate that day was 1/2 an oz of applesauce, and before that I was living off of one or two popsicles in a whole day. He just said, "That's no fun" and then left the room. They tried multiple times to call my doctor to get me admitted but he never answered. I was discharged at 3 a.m. Next two days, the vomiting continued, and even got worse. I couldn't drink, eat, or even move without feeling nauseous. I'd wake up from a dead sleep to throw up. I was so tired from not getting a night's sleep since my surgery, that I had fallen asleep sitting up in bed with a trash can between my legs and my head resting on my nightstand. My mom then called the hospital and I was admitted on Thursday at around 11 a.m. They didn't even weigh me or do proper vitals before the OR nurses came into my room and said I was being prepared to go to surgery. Around 1:30, I was taken into surgery where they removed the stent. Woke up feeling 110% better.

It's Saturday and I haven't thrown up since! I've even been able to have pureed chicken, scrambled eggs, and applesauce! The only thing I can complain about is that my stomach muscles were exerted so much from throwing up, that they are now really stiff and sore! I'm just glad to be feeling better.

Thank you. I would NEVER go back to Forest Park again, that's for sure. I know some have had good experiences there, but their nurses were horrible. I would call the button needing more pain meds, and nobody would come. Finally when they would come, they would send an LPN down to see what I wanted and then nobody would come back. Once I asked for the trapeeze bar to the nurse, told her I was having trouble getting in and out of bed. You know what she says? Just reach up on the handles above your head and pull yourself up. I'm like you stupid dumb @sss!! Yeah, I just had abdominal surgery and I'm gonna be able to do that. Finally after enough complaining I got the trapeze bar. And, because my own doc never bothered to come see me the next day, the "on call" staff dr. was going to release me. She walks into my room and says, "I see you had the DS surgery, I think your ready to go home". I'm like wtf.... whose chart are you reading, cuz it sure damn wasn't mine. If it was, we had serious issues! I refused to deal with her any further. If she couldn't bother to take 30 seconds to read my chart before walking in my room, she had NO business "treating" me. Grrrrr

im sorry u had that type of experience. im glad you turned out ok! god bless u!

wow! thats HORRIBLE! thankfully i know ppl who have had surgery where im having it and i know i wont get that kind of care cuz if i didnt, your story wouldve made me run for the hills! thats BANANAS!

Thank you. I would NEVER go back to Forest Park again, that's for sure. I know some have had good experiences there, but their nurses were horrible. I would call the button needing more pain meds, and nobody would come. Finally when they would come, they would send an LPN down to see what I wanted and then nobody would come back. Once I asked for the trapeeze bar to the nurse, told her I was having trouble getting in and out of bed. You know what she says? Just reach up on the handles above your head and pull yourself up. I'm like you stupid dumb @sss!! Yeah, I just had abdominal surgery and I'm gonna be able to do that. Finally after enough complaining I got the trapeze bar. And, because my own doc never bothered to come see me the next day, the "on call" staff dr. was going to release me. She walks into my room and says, "I see you had the DS surgery, I think your ready to go home". I'm like wtf.... whose chart are you reading, cuz it sure damn wasn't mine. If it was, we had serious issues! I refused to deal with her any further. If she couldn't bother to take 30 seconds to read my chart before walking in my room, she had NO business "treating" me. Grrrrr

wow! thats HORRIBLE! thankfully i know ppl who have had surgery where im having it and i know i wont get that kind of care cuz if i didnt, your story wouldve made me run for the hills! thats BANANAS!